[gdal-dev] Migration of RFCs to Sphinx ?

[gdal-dev] Migration of RFCs to Sphinx ?

Even Rouault-2
Hi,

Other projects like MapServer or PROJ have their RFCs as part of their Sphinx
documentation, so I've prepared the migration of GDAL RFCs as well (*) in
https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/pull/1567

Questions:
- OK with that ?
- if so, what should we do with https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/RfcList. My
thinking would be to empty the content of this page and just put a link into
it to the equivalent https://gdal.org/development/rfc/index.html , and leave
the individual existing rfc documents without any pointer to them.

Even

(*) using the convert() method of
https://github.com/moimael/trac-to-gitlab/blob/master/trac2down/Trac2Down.py
to convert from Trac wiki to github markdown and then pandoc to convert to
ReST + some manual tweaking

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: Migration of RFCs to Sphinx ?

Mateusz Loskot
On Fri, 24 May 2019 at 00:06, Even Rouault <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Other projects like MapServer or PROJ have their RFCs as part of their Sphinx
> documentation, so I've prepared the migration of GDAL RFCs as well (*) in
> https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/pull/1567
>
> Questions:
> - OK with that ?

To me, this is a very good idea.

> - if so, what should we do with https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/RfcList. My
> thinking would be to empty the content of this page and just put a link into
> it to the equivalent https://gdal.org/development/rfc/index.html , and leave
> the individual existing rfc documents without any pointer to them.

Good idea as well, or even delete the pages.

Re: Migration of RFCs to Sphinx ?

jmckenna
Administrator
Hi Even,

I agree with emptying the old wiki page and placing a link there, to the
new site.  Soon we should also disabling editing on that trac instance
as well (as we discussed here before).

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
https://gatewaygeomatics.com/

Re: Migration of RFCs to Sphinx ?

Kurt Schwehr-2
+1

If possible: Rather than deleting old pages, they should link or redirect to the new location at there are many places that link to the old locations.