[gdal-dev] MDB tools

Zoltan Szecsei
Hi All,

I am trying to find a way to list the data type of each field in all
tables in a GeoMedia MDB databse.

I tried ogrinfo mdbname and got:  ERROR 1: PGeo: MDB Tools driver not found!

so, sudo apt-get install mdbtools, and tried again and got same error.

so, sudo apt-get install gdal-bin and that gave me a newer version than
that I did have.
Interestingly apt-get returned:    Setting up gdal-bin
(1.9.0-1~exp5~lucid4) ...... etc etc
but afterwards:  ogrinfo --version still returns GDAL 1.8.1, released
2011/07/09

Anyway, still no avail:

> zls@gs0:~/q4x$ ogrinfo SSC_WC_Q43.mdb
> ERROR 1: PGeo: MDB Tools driver not found!
>
> Warning 1: Unable to install MDB driver for ODBC, MDB access may not
> supported.
>
> ERROR 1: Unable to initialize ODBC connection to DSN for
> DRIVER=Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb);DBQ=SSC_WC_Q43.mdb,
> [unixODBC][Driver Manager]Data source name not found, and no default
> driver specified
> ERROR 1: PGeo: MDB Tools driver not found!
>
> Warning 1: Unable to install MDB driver for ODBC, MDB access may not
> supported.
>
> ERROR 1: Unable to initialize ODBC connection to DSN for
> DRIVER=Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb);DBQ=SSC_WC_Q43.mdb,
> [unixODBC][Driver Manager]Data source name not found, and no default
> driver specified
> FAILURE:
> Unable to open datasource `SSC_WC_Q43.mdb' with the following drivers.
>   -> ESRI Shapefile
>   -> MapInfo File
>   -> UK .NTF   [etc tec]

I then removed the packages and reinstalled them using synaptic, only to
get errors regarding no gdalinfo in /usr/local/bin, even though which
gdalinfo returns /usr/bin/gdalinfo (without the 'local')

Can anyone spot my deliberate mistake?
Will ogrinfo be able to give me the schema printout that I want, or is
there a better way?
(I am not an Access user)

Thanks in advance,
Zoltan

Zoltan Szecsei PrGISc [PGP0031]
Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.

65 Main Road, Muizenberg 7945
Western Cape, South Africa.

34° 6'16.35"S 18°28'5.62"E

Tel: +27-21-7884897  Mobile: +27-83-6004028
Fax: +27-86-6115323www.geograph.co.za

Re: MDB tools - SOLVED

Zoltan Szecsei
Sorry - I didn't try he simple idea first:
Just use mdb-schema from mdb-tools.

Apologies for the bandwidth wastage.

Regards,
Zoltan

On 2012/03/28 15:57, Zoltan Szecsei wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to find a way to list the data type of each field in all
> tables in a GeoMedia MDB databse.
>
> I tried ogrinfo mdbname and got:  ERROR 1: PGeo: MDB Tools driver not
> found!
>
> so, sudo apt-get install mdbtools, and tried again and got same error.
>
> so, sudo apt-get install gdal-bin and that gave me a newer version
> than that I did have.
> Interestingly apt-get returned:    Setting up gdal-bin
> (1.9.0-1~exp5~lucid4) ...... etc etc
> but afterwards:  ogrinfo --version still returns GDAL 1.8.1, released
> 2011/07/09
>

> Anyway, still no avail:
>
>> zls@gs0:~/q4x$ ogrinfo SSC_WC_Q43.mdb
>> ERROR 1: PGeo: MDB Tools driver not found!
>>
>> Warning 1: Unable to install MDB driver for ODBC, MDB access may not
>> supported.
>>
>> ERROR 1: Unable to initialize ODBC connection to DSN for
>> DRIVER=Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb);DBQ=SSC_WC_Q43.mdb,
>> [unixODBC][Driver Manager]Data source name not found, and no default
>> driver specified
>> ERROR 1: PGeo: MDB Tools driver not found!
>>
>> Warning 1: Unable to install MDB driver for ODBC, MDB access may not
>> supported.
>>
>> ERROR 1: Unable to initialize ODBC connection to DSN for
>> DRIVER=Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb);DBQ=SSC_WC_Q43.mdb,
>> [unixODBC][Driver Manager]Data source name not found, and no default
>> driver specified
>> FAILURE:
>> Unable to open datasource `SSC_WC_Q43.mdb' with the following drivers.
>>   -> ESRI Shapefile
>>   -> MapInfo File
>>   -> UK .NTF   [etc tec]
>
> I then removed the packages and reinstalled them using synaptic, only
> to get errors regarding no gdalinfo in /usr/local/bin, even though
> which gdalinfo returns /usr/bin/gdalinfo (without the 'local')
>

> Can anyone spot my deliberate mistake?
> Will ogrinfo be able to give me the schema printout that I want, or is
> there a better way?
> (I am not an Access user)
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Zoltan

Zoltan Szecsei PrGISc [PGP0031]
Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.

65 Main Road, Muizenberg 7945
Western Cape, South Africa.

34° 6'16.35"S 18°28'5.62"E

Tel: +27-21-7884897  Mobile: +27-83-6004028
Fax: +27-86-6115323     www.geograph.co.za

Re: MDB tools

Paolo Corti
On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 3:57 PM, Zoltan Szecsei <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to find a way to list the data type of each field in all tables
> in a GeoMedia MDB databse.
>
> I tried ogrinfo mdbname and got:  ERROR 1: PGeo: MDB Tools driver not found!
>
> so, sudo apt-get install mdbtools, and tried again and got same error.
>
> so, sudo apt-get install gdal-bin and that gave me a newer version than that
> I did have.
> Interestingly apt-get returned:    Setting up gdal-bin (1.9.0-1~exp5~lucid4)
> ...... etc etc
> but afterwards:  ogrinfo --version still returns GDAL 1.8.1, released
> 2011/07/09

As you are on Linux, you should avoid the rely on ODBC, and use the
Geomedia driver [1], only available from gdal 1.9.
I would test it for you, but I have no Geomedia sample data for testing

[1] http://www.gdal.org/ogr/drv_geomedia.html

--
Paolo Corti
Geospatial software developer

Re: MDB tools

Stefan Keller
I have a similar issue and supposedly a very simple question:
Given a file Geomedia .mdb file I'm getting a similar error on Windows.
% ogrinfo myfile.mdb -al -so
How does OGR recognize if it's a Personal Geodatabase or a Geomedia file?

:Stefan

> On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 3:57 PM, Zoltan Szecsei <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I am trying to find a way to list the data type of each field in all tables
>> in a GeoMedia MDB databse.
>>
>> I tried ogrinfo mdbname and got:  ERROR 1: PGeo: MDB Tools driver not found!
>>
>> so, sudo apt-get install mdbtools, and tried again and got same error.
>>
>> so, sudo apt-get install gdal-bin and that gave me a newer version than that
>> I did have.
>> Interestingly apt-get returned:    Setting up gdal-bin (1.9.0-1~exp5~lucid4)
>> ...... etc etc
>> but afterwards:  ogrinfo --version still returns GDAL 1.8.1, released
>> 2011/07/09
>>

> As you are on Linux, you should avoid the rely on ODBC, and use the
> Geomedia driver [1], only available from gdal 1.9.
> I would test it for you, but I have no Geomedia sample data for testing

> [1] http://www.gdal.org/ogr/drv_geomedia.html
>
> --
> Paolo Corti
> Geospatial software developer
> web: http://www.paolocorti.net
> twitter: @capooti
> skype: capooti

Re: MDB tools

Zoltan Szecsei
Hi,
Look at http://www.gdal.org/ogr_formats.html

IIRC ogr2ogr needed that - but ogrinfo?  not sure - maybe the -oo param?

You could also use ogrinfo --formats
to see what's available on your system.

Hopefully others will chip in too.
Regards,
Zoltan

On 2015-10-02 15:38, Stefan Keller wrote:

> I have a similar issue and supposedly a very simple question:
> Given a file Geomedia .mdb file I'm getting a similar error on Windows.
> % ogrinfo myfile.mdb -al -so
> How does OGR recognize if it's a Personal Geodatabase or a Geomedia file?
>
> :Stefan

>> On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 3:57 PM, Zoltan Szecsei <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I am trying to find a way to list the data type of each field in all tables
>>> in a GeoMedia MDB databse.
>>>
>>> I tried ogrinfo mdbname and got:  ERROR 1: PGeo: MDB Tools driver not found!
>>>
>>> so, sudo apt-get install mdbtools, and tried again and got same error.
>>>
>>> so, sudo apt-get install gdal-bin and that gave me a newer version than that
>>> I did have.
>>> Interestingly apt-get returned:    Setting up gdal-bin (1.9.0-1~exp5~lucid4)
>>> ...... etc etc
>>> but afterwards:  ogrinfo --version still returns GDAL 1.8.1, released
>>> 2011/07/09
>>>
>> As you are on Linux, you should avoid the rely on ODBC, and use the
>> Geomedia driver [1], only available from gdal 1.9.
>> I would test it for you, but I have no Geomedia sample data for testing

>> [1] http://www.gdal.org/ogr/drv_geomedia.html
>>
>> --
>> Paolo Corti
>> Geospatial software developer
>> web: http://www.paolocorti.net
>> twitter: @capooti
>> skype: capooti

Zoltan Szecsei PrGISc [PGP0031]
Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
GIS and Photogrammetric Services

P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.

Mobile: +27-83-6004028
Fax:    +27-86-6115323     www.geograph.co.za

Re: MDB tools

Stefan Keller
Zoltan

Yes, I'm testing GDAL 1.11.2, released 2015/02/10, in Windows which
supports PGeo and Geomedia.
My problem is, how can I tell ogrinfo's and ogr2ogr that myfile.mdb is
Geomedia and not PGeo (since both have fileextension .mdb)?

:Stefan

> Hi,
> Look at http://www.gdal.org/ogr_formats.html
>
> IIRC ogr2ogr needed that - but ogrinfo?  not sure - maybe the -oo param?
>
> You could also use ogrinfo --formats
> to see what's available on your system.
>
> Hopefully others will chip in too.
> Regards,
> Zoltan
>

> On 2015-10-02 15:38, Stefan Keller wrote:
>>
>> I have a similar issue and supposedly a very simple question:
>> Given a file Geomedia .mdb file I'm getting a similar error on Windows.
>> % ogrinfo myfile.mdb -al -so
>> How does OGR recognize if it's a Personal Geodatabase or a Geomedia file?
>>
>> :Stefan

>>> As you are on Linux, you should avoid the rely on ODBC, and use the
>>> Geomedia driver [1], only available from gdal 1.9.
>>> I would test it for you, but I have no Geomedia sample data for testing

>>> [1] http://www.gdal.org/ogr/drv_geomedia.html
>>>
>>> --
>>> Paolo Corti
>>> Geospatial software developer
>>> web: http://www.paolocorti.net
>>> twitter: @capooti
>>> skype: capooti

> Zoltan Szecsei PrGISc [PGP0031]
> Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
> GIS and Photogrammetric Services
>
> P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.
>
> Mobile: +27-83-6004028
> Fax:    +27-86-6115323     www.geograph.co.za

Re: MDB tools

Stefan Keller
> Yes, I'm testing GDAL 1.11.2, released 2015/02/10, in Windows which
> supports PGeo and Geomedia.
> My problem is, how can I tell ogrinfo's and ogr2ogr that myfile.mdb is
> Geomedia and not PGeo (since both have fileextension .mdb)?

That's the command and the error messages I get:

C:\Users\sfkeller\Downloads>ogrinfo fussgaengerstreifen.mdb -al -so
ERROR 1: Unable to initialize ODBC connection to DSN for DRIVER=Microsoft Access
 Driver (*.mdb);DBQ=fussgaengerstreifen.mdb,
[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default drive
r specified
ERROR 1: Unable to initialize ODBC connection to DSN for DRIVER=Microsoft Access
 Driver (*.mdb);DBQ=fussgaengerstreifen.mdb,
[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default drive
r specified
FAILURE:
Unable to open datasource `fussgaengerstreifen.mdb' with the following drivers.
  -> OCI
  -> ...

:Stefan

> Zoltan
>
> Yes, I'm testing GDAL 1.11.2, released 2015/02/10, in Windows which
> supports PGeo and Geomedia.
> My problem is, how can I tell ogrinfo's and ogr2ogr that myfile.mdb is
> Geomedia and not PGeo (since both have fileextension .mdb)?
>
> :Stefan

>> Hi,
>> Look at http://www.gdal.org/ogr_formats.html
>>
>> IIRC ogr2ogr needed that - but ogrinfo?  not sure - maybe the -oo param?
>>
>> You could also use ogrinfo --formats
>> to see what's available on your system.
>>
>> Hopefully others will chip in too.
>> Regards,
>> Zoltan
>>

>> On 2015-10-02 15:38, Stefan Keller wrote:
>>>
>>> I have a similar issue and supposedly a very simple question:
>>> Given a file Geomedia .mdb file I'm getting a similar error on Windows.
>>> % ogrinfo myfile.mdb -al -so
>>> How does OGR recognize if it's a Personal Geodatabase or a Geomedia file?
>>>
>>> :Stefan

>> --

>> Zoltan Szecsei PrGISc [PGP0031]
>> Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
>> GIS and Photogrammetric Services
>>
>> P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.
>>
>> Mobile: +27-83-6004028
>> Fax:    +27-86-6115323     www.geograph.co.za

Re: MDB tools

Even Rouault-2

Perhaps you hit https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/5594 ?

> :Stefan

> > Zoltan
> >
> > Yes, I'm testing GDAL 1.11.2, released 2015/02/10, in Windows which
> > supports PGeo and Geomedia.
> > My problem is, how can I tell ogrinfo's and ogr2ogr that myfile.mdb is
> > Geomedia and not PGeo (since both have fileextension .mdb)?
> >
> > :Stefan

> >> Hi,
> >> Look at http://www.gdal.org/ogr_formats.html
> >>
> >> IIRC ogr2ogr needed that - but ogrinfo?  not sure - maybe the -oo param?
> >>
> >> You could also use ogrinfo --formats
> >> to see what's available on your system.
> >>
> >> Hopefully others will chip in too.
> >> Regards,
> >> Zoltan

> >> --
> >>
> >> ===========================================
> >> Zoltan Szecsei PrGISc [PGP0031]
> >> Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
> >> GIS and Photogrammetric Services
> >>
> >> P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.
> >>
> >> Mobile: +27-83-6004028
> >> Fax:    +27-86-6115323     www.geograph.co.za

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: MDB tools