[gdal-dev] How to convert a local GeoTIFF to a tile set with minimal WMTSCapabilities.xml?

[gdal-dev] How to convert a local GeoTIFF to a tile set with minimal WMTSCapabilities.xml?

Stefan Keller
Sorry for this question since I know GDAL. But it seems I'm missing
something here:

I'd like to do the following:
A. Given a local GeoTIFF, create WMTS compatible tile set (of single
zoom level 18 or a range)
% python gdal2tiles.py -z 18 infile.tif outdir
B. Then I'd like to test this locally
% gdalinfo WMTSCapabilities.xml
C. or - if needed - I copy WMTSCapabilities.xml to a web space (say
https://www.myweb.org/wmts/1.0.0/WMTSCapabilities.xml) with the
unpacked tile set - and test it there.

Step A works but produces no WMTSCapabilities.xml (stub), only
tilemapresource.xml which obviously is not same as
WMTSCapabilities.xml.

1. How can I generate such a WMTSCapabilities.xml?
2. What is the "minimal viable" XML, given I want/have to create
WMTSCapabilities.xml by hand?

:Stefan

Re: How to convert a local GeoTIFF to a tile set with minimal WMTSCapabilities.xml?

Stefan Keller
Hi,

Update: I found not much so far regarding creation of WMTSCapabilities.xml...

There exists this free web tool http://wmts.maptiler.com/ which can
generate an XML given an URL.

Then it seems that UMN MapServer can also generate this XML given a
WMTS is configured with it's Mapfile.

That's it!

I'm still open for feedback on this tedious task which for sure could
be automated.
IMHO it would be a great extension especially to gdal2tiles.

:Stefan