Quantcast

[gdal-dev] Geospatial PDF with OGR_DATASOURCE

[gdal-dev] Geospatial PDF with OGR_DATASOURCE

Rahkonen Jukka  (Tike)
Hi,

I was reading about a possibility of adding OGR vector layers on top of raster
layer in geospatial pdf from http://gdal.org/frmt_pdf.html

Are there any example commands available? I guess that at least discovering the
use of OGR_DISPLAY_FIELD and OGR_DISPLAY_LAYER_NAMES may take a while with plain
trial and error.

-Jukka Rahkonen-

Re: Geospatial PDF with OGR_DATASOURCE

Even Rouault
Le samedi 02 juin 2012 12:36:39, Jukka Rahkonen a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I was reading about a possibility of adding OGR vector layers on top of
> raster layer in geospatial pdf from http://gdal.org/frmt_pdf.html
>
> Are there any example commands available? I guess that at least discovering
> the use of OGR_DISPLAY_FIELD and OGR_DISPLAY_LAYER_NAMES may take a while
> with plain trial and error.

I've tried to make the description of those option hopefully a bit clearer.
Have a look at http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/changeset/24529 . If you can help in
making this more understandable, you're welcome. I know I'm not so good at
writing docs.

Without screenshots of the UI of the "well-know PDF viewer" (but GDAL/OGR doc
is generally rather ascetic ;-)), I'm afraid that it is still a bit difficult to
understand. The best is to experiment.

> -Jukka Rahkonen-

[gdal-dev] GeoPDF (TM) vs. GeoSpatial PDF

David Strip-2
Jukka's posting earlier today has made me aware that GDAL will now write
a geospatial PDF. Is it also capable of writing a geoPDF (which is a
trademark of TerraGo, but there is an OGC standard, so possibly it's
legal to create them)? When used in conjunction with the (free) TerraGo
toolbar, the geoPDF provides many more capabilities than a geo-spatial
pdf, especially if the pdf "modify" permission is set. From the looks of
it, the main difference between a geospatial PDF and a geoPDF is that
the latter contains a dictionary object LGIdict which contains the
projection, the coordinate transform to the page, and that sort of
thing. In fact, it will support multiple data frames on the same page.

Re: GeoPDF (TM) vs. GeoSpatial PDF

George Demmy
On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 6:16 PM, David Strip <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Jukka's posting earlier today has made me aware that GDAL will now write a
> geospatial PDF. Is it also capable of writing a geoPDF (which is a trademark
> of TerraGo, but there is an OGC standard, so possibly it's legal to create
> them)?

Hi David,

As you mention, GeoPDF is a trademark, but it's increasingly weakly
associated with an particular encoding used to georegister the content
in a PDF. The method published by OGC as a best practice is the one
that was originally used to develop a suite of technologies around
using PDF as an geospatial application delivery platform branded as
"GeoPDF". There is also a georegistration encoding that was published
by Adobe as extensions to ISO 32000, the standard specifying PDF.
GeoPDF software can use either, so the encoding has nothing to do with
GeoPDFness.

Anyone is free to create georegistered PDF using the OGC best practice
or with the ISO method. Both specs are freely available on the web.
What folks are not supposed to do is sell stuff called GeoPDF if they
don't use TerraGo software to cook up the PDFs. I'm not debating
rightness, wrongness, or wisdom: just trying to be clear!

The choice of which encoding to use is largely a matter of taste, as
neither has been subjected to any rigorous scrutiny from a
standardization perspective. The OGC encoding was based upon a set of
standards promulgated by the US Government and its NATO allies called
DIGEST and NGA's GEOTRANS software. More at http://dgiwg.org for
DIGEST and http://earth-info.nga.mil/GandG/geotrans/ for GEOTRANS. The
ISO spec admits use of certain EPSG codes and WKT. Adobe Reader 9 and
later uses a version of Esri's projection engine, so from an
implementation perspective it's "whatever PE Reader can reach
understands". The geospatial bits of Reader are no longer being
actively developed by Adobe, Adobe having left that to TerraGo to
provide with its TerraGo Toolbar.

> When used in conjunction with the (free) TerraGo toolbar, the geoPDF
> provides many more capabilities than a geo-spatial pdf, especially if the
> pdf "modify" permission is set.

As of version 6 which shipped recently, the TerraGo Toolbar offers
continuous display of coordinates and other functionality for any
geospatial PDF as long as it can grok the encoding. It supports OGC
and ISO and uses proj4 via GDAL under the hood for projections. Like
Reader, Toolbar has some more advanced functionality that is
accessible if certain permission bits are set.

> From the looks of it, the main difference
> between a geospatial PDF and a geoPDF is that the latter contains a
> dictionary object LGIdict which contains the projection, the coordinate
> transform to the page, and that sort of thing. In fact, it will support
> multiple data frames on the same page.

What you're seeing here is the difference in encoding. The OGC
georeferencing uses the LGIDict data structure you mention and the ISO
uses something called a measurement dictionary. Both encodings support
multiple map frames. There are pointers to the specs on the GDAL
geospatial PDF page http://www.gdal.org/frmt_pdf.html.

Speaking of which, Even has been doing a knock-out job on the PDF
support, IMO! It's a challenge because there are two things that don't
jibe well with the GDAL data model. First, PDF is not so much a data
format as a presentation/consumption format and as such is
conceptually is at a very different level of abstraction than are
stuff like shapefiles and GeoTIFF. Second, and related, the
distinction between vector and raster hardly makes sense in PDF
content, but is a fundamental architectural reality in GDAL/OGR. I
mention this mainly to point out some of the battles that Even faces
and to provoke some thought about what it means to import or export a
PDF from GDAL...

Hope this helps!

George

On 6/3/2012 10:59 AM, George Demmy wrote:

>> David Strip wrote:

>> >  When used in conjunction with the (free) TerraGo toolbar, the geoPDF
>> >  provides many more capabilities than a geo-spatial pdf, especially if the
>> >  pdf "modify" permission is set.
> As of version 6 which shipped recently, the TerraGo Toolbar offers
> continuous display of coordinates and other functionality for any
> geospatial PDF as long as it can grok the encoding. It supports OGC
> and ISO and uses proj4 via GDAL under the hood for projections. Like
> Reader, Toolbar has some more advanced functionality that is
> accessible if certain permission bits are set.

While V6 of the toolbar (and in fact previous versions) provide
continuous display of coordinates, a "true geoPDF" (which I believe
means having the LGIDict), has far more coordinate conversion
capability, as well as the ability to add "geo-marks", geo-located
stamps (icons) added to the file. I verified this by downloading the
latest version of the Terrago Toolbar (15.0.0.591). I opened a
geo-spatial pdf that I created with ArcMap 10.0.2. I can get the
position display in Lat/Lon and MGRS at the bottom of the image, and in
the Geolocator tool (from the toolbar), I can also see UTM13N, WGS84,
USNG, and MGRS. I can't use the GeoMark tools at all. I then open a
geoPDF (a new generation USGS topo map). In this case I can set the
GeoLocator projection to display in any of a hundred or more predefined
projections, or define my own projection parameters. I can also mark the
map with GeoMarks. The ability to use GeoMarks is not a function of the
pdf "modify" bit being set. It is set in the ArcMap generated map, which
I can add non-geospatial marks with other pdf tools.

I belief that the presence of the LGIDict is what enables these other
features, but I could be wrong.  That's something I've been trying to
find out.

Even Rouault wrote:

> Le samedi 02 juin 2012 12:36:39, Jukka Rahkonen a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was reading about a possibility of adding OGR vector
> layers on top of
> > raster layer in geospatial pdf from http://gdal.org/frmt_pdf.html
> >
> > Are there any example commands available? I guess that at
> least discovering
> > the use of OGR_DISPLAY_FIELD and OGR_DISPLAY_LAYER_NAMES
> may take a while
> > with plain trial and error.
>
> I've tried to make the description of those option hopefully
> a bit clearer.
> Have a look at http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/changeset/24529 .
> If you can help in
> making this more understandable, you're welcome. I know I'm
> not so good at
> writing docs.
>
> Without screenshots of the UI of the "well-know PDF viewer"
> (but GDAL/OGR doc
> is generally rather ascetic ;-)), I'm afraid that it is still
> a bit difficult to
> understand. The best is to experiment.

I made some quick trials by combining some raster base maps and
shapefiles and I am sure that this will be an amusing toy. But
with the default settings the vector features are almost invisible
on the map because of the drawing styles. I made a blind
trial with OGR Feature Styles and wrote these two lines into a
.ofs file for making linework a bit wider
        OFS-version 1.0
        DefaultStyle: PEN(c:#FF0000,w:5px)

However, it did not make any difference. Perhaps OFS is not
supported yet, or?  I did notice that I can change the colour
of the features through Acrobat reader's UI, but I cannot set
the line width. As a first aid I would suggest to use wider
lines and bigger points as defaults. Areas, which are drawn
as semi-transparent with a light grey fill are OK.

I am eager to have a possibility to capture a base map from
WMS and some vectors from WFS, put some styles into the
vectors and combine everything together with gdal_translate
into a geospatial PDF. It does not seem to be so far away.

-Jukka Rahkonen-

On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 5:02 AM, David Strip <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> As of version 6 which shipped recently, the TerraGo Toolbar offers
>> continuous display of coordinates and other functionality for any
>> geospatial PDF as long as it can grok the encoding. It supports OGC
>> and ISO and uses proj4 via GDAL under the hood for projections. Like
>> Reader, Toolbar has some more advanced functionality that is
>> accessible if certain permission bits are set.
>>
> While V6 of the toolbar (and in fact previous versions) provide continuous
> display of coordinates, a "true geoPDF" (which I believe means having the
> LGIDict), has far more coordinate conversion capability, as well as the
> ability to add "geo-marks", geo-located stamps (icons) added to the file. I
> verified this by downloading the latest version of the Terrago Toolbar
> (15.0.0.591). I opened a geo-spatial pdf that I created with ArcMap 10.0.2.
> I can get the position display in Lat/Lon and MGRS at the bottom of the
> image, and in the Geolocator tool (from the toolbar), I can also see UTM13N,
> WGS84, USNG, and MGRS. I can't use the GeoMark tools at all. I then open a
> geoPDF (a new generation USGS topo map). In this case I can set the
> GeoLocator projection to display in any of a hundred or more predefined
> projections, or define my own projection parameters. I can also mark the map
> with GeoMarks. The ability to use GeoMarks is not a function of the pdf
> "modify" bit being set. It is set in the ArcMap generated map, which I can
> add non-geospatial marks with other pdf tools.

To mark up a PDF in Adobe Reader, the file must be "enabled for
comment and analysis" by Adobe software. This has changed a little in
Reader 10 which allows use of the note tool for any PDF where previous
versions did not. You can mark up any non-secured PDF in Acrobat and
perhaps other software as well. To use the GeoMark Toolbar, the file
must be both enabled for comment and analysis (Adobe) and
GeoMark-enabled (TerraGo) to mark it up in Reader. It need only be
GeoMark-enabled to be marked up in Acrobat with Toolbar. The ability
to use GeoMarks in Adobe Reader *is* the function of a functionality
access bit being set by Adobe as well as TerraGo. However, it's not
permission to modify the file as much as permission/license to use
software tools. ArcMap does not generate comment-enabled PDFs by
default, so I don't understand what you mean in that last sentence.

> I belief that the presence of the LGIDict is what enables these other
> features, but I could be wrong.  That's something I've been trying to find
> out.

All the presence of an LGIDict guarantees is that someone has tried to
use the OGC encoding to georeference the PDF. The different
functionality is turned on by permission bits, although Toolbar looks
for signatures which indicate that a map was created by very old
TerraGo software, and the presence of LGIDict is part of that
signature. It's possible to cook up a PDF with an LGIDict that will
trick Toolbar into working. I hope that leaves nothing to figure out
with respect to this stuff.

Regards,

George

Re: Geospatial PDF with OGR_DATASOURCE

Even Rouault

> I made some quick trials by combining some raster base maps and
> shapefiles and I am sure that this will be an amusing toy. But
> with the default settings the vector features are almost invisible
> on the map because of the drawing styles. I made a blind
> trial with OGR Feature Styles and wrote these two lines into a
> .ofs file for making linework a bit wider
> OFS-version 1.0
> DefaultStyle: PEN(c:#FF0000,w:5px)
>
> However, it did not make any difference. Perhaps OFS is not
> supported yet, or?

Oh, I didn't even know that those .ofs file existed, but indeed I see them
mentionned in http://www.gdal.org/ogr/ogr_feature_style.html . However, from a
quick look, although this seems to be implemented in ogr/ogrfeaturestyle.cpp,
this feature isn't used by any driver.

> I did notice that I can change the colour
> of the features through Acrobat reader's UI, but I cannot set
> the line width. As a first aid I would suggest to use wider
> lines and bigger points as defaults.

Yes, as far as I remember the current state of the code, the pen width is
scaled with the coordinates of the geometries, so the appropriate value of the
width depends on whether you work with projected or geographic SRS, and the
layer spatial extent.

> Areas, which are drawn
> as semi-transparent with a light grey fill are OK.

Even if table level styling isn't supported, the PDF writer can fetch the
style at the feature level (not at the table level like you tried). You can
for example try the following to attach the style to the features :

ogr2ogr -f PDF poly.pdf poly.shp -sql "select *, 'PEN(c:#FF0000,w:5px)' as
OGR_STYLE from poly"

Best regards,

Even

Even Rouault wrote:

> > I made some quick trials by combining some raster base maps and
> > shapefiles and I am sure that this will be an amusing toy. But
> > with the default settings the vector features are almost invisible
> > on the map because of the drawing styles. I made a blind
> > trial with OGR Feature Styles and wrote these two lines into a
> > .ofs file for making linework a bit wider
> > OFS-version 1.0
> > DefaultStyle: PEN(c:#FF0000,w:5px)
> >
> > However, it did not make any difference. Perhaps OFS is not
> > supported yet, or?
>

> Oh, I didn't even know that those .ofs file existed, but
> indeed I see them
> mentionned in http://www.gdal.org/ogr/ogr_feature_style.html
> . However, from a
> quick look, although this seems to be implemented in
> ogr/ogrfeaturestyle.cpp,
> this feature isn't used by any driver.
>
> > I did notice that I can change the colour
> > of the features through Acrobat reader's UI, but I cannot set
> > the line width. As a first aid I would suggest to use wider
> > lines and bigger points as defaults.
>
> Yes, as far as I remember the current state of the code, the
> pen width is
> scaled with the coordinates of the geometries, so the
> appropriate value of the
> width depends on whether you work with projected or
> geographic SRS, and the
> layer spatial extent.
>
> > Areas, which are drawn
> > as semi-transparent with a light grey fill are OK.
>
> Even if table level styling isn't supported, the PDF writer
> can fetch the
> style at the feature level (not at the table level like you
> tried). You can
> for example try the following to attach the style to the features :
>
> ogr2ogr -f PDF poly.pdf poly.shp -sql "select *,
> 'PEN(c:#FF0000,w:5px)' as
> OGR_STYLE from poly"

I want to combine raster and vector sources but I found
it impossible to discover how to use the -sql parameter
together with the PDF creation option -co OGR_DATASOURCE=
Fortunately it was enough to add an attribute named OGR_STYLE
into the shapefile and fill in styles as strings. Styles are
really applied feature by feature so it is possible to set
colours and line widths individually for each feature in the
shapefile, which is pretty amusing.

I could symbolize lines and polygons with PEN and BRUSH by
using the examples from http://www.gdal.org/ogr/ogr_feature_style.html
However, I could not make SYMBOL settings to work with my
points. They appear as grey circles even if I attached some
OGR_STYLE strings to them, like
 SYMBOL(c:#00FF00,id:"ogr-sym-7")

I was able to set the colours of the points by using PEN but
altering the w: parameter did not change the size of the
points.

-Jukka Rahkonen-

> Best regards,
>
> Even

Re: Geospatial PDF with OGR_DATASOURCE

Even Rouault

> I want to combine raster and vector sources but I found

> it impossible to discover how to use the -sql parameter

> together with the PDF creation option -co OGR_DATASOURCE=

> Fortunately it was enough to add an attribute named OGR_STYLE

> into the shapefile and fill in styles as strings.

Yes, you can't directly do that through the GDAL PDF driver, but you can for example use a OGR VRT as the datasource for the OGR_DATASOURCE creation option.

> I could symbolize lines and polygons with PEN and BRUSH by

> using the examples from http://www.gdal.org/ogr/ogr_feature_style.html

> However, I could not make SYMBOL settings to work with my

> points. They appear as grey circles even if I attached some

> OGR_STYLE strings to them, like

> SYMBOL(c:#00FF00,id:"ogr-sym-7")

> I was able to set the colours of the points by using PEN but

> altering the w: parameter did not change the size of the

> points.

Yes, SYMBOL tool was not yet implemented up to now. There's now a limited implementation of it :

r24543 /trunk/ (3 files in 3 dirs): OGR PDF: use SYMBOL styling on point geometries, limited to taking into account the id (ogr-sym-0 to ogr-sym-9), c and s parameters

Note that the PEN, BRUSH and LABEL tool are also limited in the support of their parameters :

* color, width and dash pattern for PEN

* color for BRUSH

* text, color, size and angle for TEXT (the text being limited to ASCII characters)

Even Rouault  wrote:

> However, I could not make SYMBOL settings to work with my
>> points. They appear as grey circles even if I attached some
> OGR_STYLE strings to them, like
>> SYMBOL(c:#00FF00,id:"ogr-sym-7")
>>
> I was able to set the colours of the points by using PEN but
> altering the w: parameter did not change the size of the
 >> points.
Yes, SYMBOL tool was not yet implemented up to now. There's now a limited implementation of it :
r24543 /trunk/ (3 files in 3 dirs): OGR PDF: use SYMBOL styling on point geometries,
> limited to taking into account the id (ogr-sym-0 to ogr-sym-9), c and s parametersNote
> that   the PEN, BRUSH and LABEL tool are also limited in the support of their parameters :
> * color, width and dash pattern for PEN* color for BRUSH* text, color, size and angle for
> TEXT (the text being limited to ASCII characters)

I installed GDAL dev from gisinternals.com and it claims to contain r24544.  However,

I can still see only grey circles.

My styled test points are available at http://latuviitta.org/documents/styled_pdf_points.gml

The command I used for testing is

ogr2ogr -f PDF pdf_point_test.pdf styled_pdf_points.gml

-Jukka Rahkonen-

Re: Geospatial PDF with OGR_DATASOURCE

Even Rouault

> I installed GDAL dev from gisinternals.com<http://www.gisinternals.com> and
> it claims to contain r24544.  However,
>
> I can still see only grey circles.

Weird, I can see that the updated unit tests pass, so I suspect that there's
something else.

> My styled test points are available at
> http://latuviitta.org/documents/styled_pdf_points.gml

The link does not work (the domain name has expired apparently), but I've
successfully tested it with the following GML file :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<ogr:FeatureCollection
     xsi:schemaLocation="http://ogr.maptools.org/ point.xsd"
     xmlns:ogr="http://ogr.maptools.org/"
     xmlns:gml="http://www.opengis.net/gml">
  <gml:featureMember>
    <ogr:point fid="point.0">
      <ogr:geometryProperty><gml:Point><gml:coordinates>479819.84375,4765180.5</gml:coordinates></gml:Point></ogr:geometryProperty>
      <ogr:AREA>215229.266</ogr:AREA>
      <ogr:EAS_ID>168</ogr:EAS_ID>
      <ogr:PRFEDEA>35043411</ogr:PRFEDEA>
      <ogr:OGR_STYLE>SYMBOL(c:#FF0000,id:"ogr-sym-0",s:100)</ogr:OGR_STYLE>
    </ogr:point>
  </gml:featureMember>
  <gml:featureMember>
    <ogr:point fid="point.1">
      <ogr:geometryProperty><gml:Point><gml:coordinates>480035.34375,4765558.5</gml:coordinates></gml:Point></ogr:geometryProperty>
      <ogr:AREA>247328.172</ogr:AREA>
      <ogr:EAS_ID>179</ogr:EAS_ID>
      <ogr:PRFEDEA>35043423</ogr:PRFEDEA>
      <ogr:OGR_STYLE>SYMBOL(c:#FF00FF,id:"ogr-sym-5",s:50)</ogr:OGR_STYLE>
    </ogr:point>
  </gml:featureMember>
</ogr:FeatureCollection>

and

ogr2ogr -f pdf temp.pdf point.gml -dsco MARGIN=100

Did you check that ogrinfo on your GML file reports lines with "Style =
SYMBOL(something)" just before the geometry WKT ?

Even

Even Rouault wrote:

>> My styled test points are available at
>> http://latuviitta.org/documents/styled_pdf_points.gml

> The link does not work (the domain name has expired apparently), but I've
> successfully tested it with the following GML file :

I got the domain name back so the link should work again soon.

> Did you check that ogrinfo on your GML file reports lines with "Style =
> SYMBOL(something)" just before the geometry WKT ?

Oginfo is reporting like this

OGRFeature(pdf_piste2):0
  fid (String) = pdf_piste2.0
  OGR_STYLE (String) = SYMBOL(id:"ogr-sym-1",c:#000000,s:5)
  Style = SYMBOL(id:"ogr-sym-1",c:#000000,s:5)
  POINT (380530.90923728806 6677521.4394915262)

Data was as shapefile first and I converted it into GML with ogr2ogr. May have some little troubles with character encoding (shapefile must have been iso-8859-1) but ogrinfo does not look bad for me.

-Jukka-

Le mercredi 06 juin 2012 23:33:41, Rahkonen Jukka a écrit :

> Even Rouault wrote:
> >> My styled test points are available at
> >> http://latuviitta.org/documents/styled_pdf_points.gml
> >
> > The link does not work (the domain name has expired apparently), but I've
>
> > successfully tested it with the following GML file :
> I got the domain name back so the link should work again soon.
>
> > Did you check that ogrinfo on your GML file reports lines with "Style =
> > SYMBOL(something)" just before the geometry WKT ?
>
> Oginfo is reporting like this
>
> OGRFeature(pdf_piste2):0
>   fid (String) = pdf_piste2.0
>   OGR_STYLE (String) = SYMBOL(id:"ogr-sym-1",c:#000000,s:5)
>   Style = SYMBOL(id:"ogr-sym-1",c:#000000,s:5)
>   POINT (380530.90923728806 6677521.4394915262)
>
> Data was as shapefile first and I converted it into GML with ogr2ogr. May
> have some little troubles with character encoding (shapefile must have
> been iso-8859-1) but ogrinfo does not look bad for me.

I've downloaded
http://www.gisinternals.com/sdk/Download.aspx?file=release-1500-gdal-
mapserver.zip and used it successfully to convert your file.

Even Rouault wrote:

>> Data was as shapefile first and I converted it into GML with ogr2ogr. May
>> have some little troubles with character encoding (shapefile must have
>> been iso-8859-1) but ogrinfo does not look bad for me.

> I've downloaded
> http://www.gisinternals.com/sdk/Download.aspx?file=release-1500-gdal-
> mapserver.zip and used it successfully to convert your file.

Works perfectly for me too now.  The built I downloaded yesterday morning had to be without the r24543 changes.

-Jukka-