[gdal-dev] GDAL linked against CFITSIO on debian/ubuntu

[gdal-dev] GDAL linked against CFITSIO on debian/ubuntu

Chiara Marmo
Hello,

I'm checking different OS and distributions for GDAL link against CFITSIO. I was pretty sure that Ubuntu and Debian allow the use of CFITSIO but apparently Ubuntu 18.04 does not...
I've found a "--with-cifitsio=no" in the debian versioning system [1].... but I can't test debian right now.

On Fedora the gdal package checks for the presence of CFITSIO and links against it if found.

Is someone in this list close to debian/ubuntu packagers?
Am I wrong?

Thanks for listening.
Best

Chiara

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/debian-gis-team/gdal/blob/master/debian/rules#L116

--
Chiara Marmo
Ingénieur de Recherche GEOPS - Paris Sud-11

Re: GDAL linked against CFITSIO on debian/ubuntu

Sebastiaan Couwenberg
On 6/13/19 5:05 PM, Chiara Marmo wrote:
> I'm checking different OS and distributions for GDAL link against CFITSIO. I was pretty sure that Ubuntu and Debian allow the use of CFITSIO but apparently Ubuntu 18.04 does not...
> I've found a "--with-cifitsio=no" in the debian versioning system [1].... but I can't test debian right now.
The rules file is pretty clear, I'd say. The feature is not enabled.

If you look at the changelog you'll find why it was disabled:

 gdal (1.4.1-5) unstable; urgency=low

   * libcfitsio3 library is now GPL on Debian, so disabled due to
     incompatibility with GDAL copyright.
     (closes: #422537)

The linked bugreport has more backgrounds:

 https://bugs.debian.org/422537

> On Fedora the gdal package checks for the presence of CFITSIO and links against it if found.

Fedora is not very strict about license & copyright issues.

> Is someone in this list close to debian/ubuntu packagers?

Doesn't get any closer than this. ;-)

> Am I wrong?

No.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--
 GPG Key ID: 4096R/6750F10AE88D4AF1
Fingerprint: 8182 DE41 7056 408D 6146  50D1 6750 F10A E88D 4AF1

Re: GDAL linked against CFITSIO on debian/ubuntu

Even Rouault-2
On jeudi 13 juin 2019 17:33:00 CEST Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:

> On 6/13/19 5:05 PM, Chiara Marmo wrote:
> > I'm checking different OS and distributions for GDAL link against CFITSIO.
> > I was pretty sure that Ubuntu and Debian allow the use of CFITSIO but
> > apparently Ubuntu 18.04 does not... I've found a "--with-cifitsio=no" in
> > the debian versioning system [1].... but I can't test debian right now.
> The rules file is pretty clear, I'd say. The feature is not enabled.
>
> If you look at the changelog you'll find why it was disabled:
>
>  gdal (1.4.1-5) unstable; urgency=low
>
>    * libcfitsio3 library is now GPL on Debian, so disabled due to
>      incompatibility with GDAL copyright.
>      (closes: #422537)
>
> The linked bugreport has more backgrounds:
>
>  https://bugs.debian.org/422537

I'd note that GDAL on Debian/Ubuntu links against poppler, which is GPL
licensed.

Even

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: GDAL linked against CFITSIO on debian/ubuntu

Chiara Marmo
Hi Sebastiaan,

> The rules file is pretty clear, I'd say. The feature is not enabled.
>
> If you look at the changelog you'll find why it was disabled:
>
>  gdal (1.4.1-5) unstable; urgency=low
>
>    * libcfitsio3 library is now GPL on Debian, so disabled due to
>      incompatibility with GDAL copyright.
>      (closes: #422537)
>
> The linked bugreport has more backgrounds:
>
>  https://bugs.debian.org/422537

Ok, good to know.. I'm a bit frustrated... :(
but thanks for your answer :)

Best,
Chiara

--
Chiara Marmo
Ingénieur de Recherche GEOPS - Paris Sud-11
Bât 509
Tel: +33 (0)1 69 15 49 03

Re: GDAL linked against CFITSIO on debian/ubuntu

Chiara Marmo
Hello Sebastiaan,

me again about GDAL and CFITSIO. :)

> gdal (1.4.1-5) unstable; urgency=low
>
>   * libcfitsio3 library is now GPL on Debian, so disabled due to
>     incompatibility with GDAL copyright.
>     (closes: #422537)
>
> The linked bugreport has more backgrounds:
>
> https://bugs.debian.org/422537

If I understand correctly, this bug is pretty old.
I have checked the CFITSIO ChangeLog [1] and I'm under the impression that, starting from CFITSIO 3.26 this issue is no longer there:

"
   - replaced all the source code in CFITSIO that was distributed under the
     GNU General Public License with freely available code.  In particular,
     the  gzip file compression and uncompression code was replaced by the
     zlib compression library.  Thus, beginning with this version 3.26 of CFITSIO,
     other software applications may freely use CFITSIO without necessarily
     incurring any GNU licensing requirement.  See the License.txt file for
     the CFITSIO licensing requirements.
"

The Buster version of CFITSIO is 3.45. I've contacted the CFITSIO people for clarifications.

Do you mind if I open a new issue on the Debian bug tracker (if relevant) after their answer?

Thanks for reading.

Best regards,
Chiara

[1] https://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/FTP/software/fitsio/c/docs/changes.txt

---

On 7/15/19 11:20 AM, Chiara Marmo wrote:
> Do you mind if I open a new issue on the Debian bug tracker (if relevant) after their answer?

No. If there is user demand to support CFITSIO in the gdal package an
wishlist bugreport is a good way to express that.

Kind Regards,

Bas