[gdal-dev] GDAL and cloud storage

Even Rouault-2

Hi,

I've written a post summarizing various enhancements done in trunk lately regarding GDAL and cloud storage:

https://erouault.blogspot.fr/2017/10/gdal-and-cloud-storage.html

Even

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: GDAL and cloud storage

Sean Gillies-3
Hi Even,

On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 11:51 AM, Even Rouault <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I've written a post summarizing various enhancements done in trunk lately regarding GDAL and cloud storage:

https://erouault.blogspot.fr/2017/10/gdal-and-cloud-storage.html

Even

This is great work and a great post. I made sure it was referenced in a Mapbox blog post that's been scheduled to go out today. I didn't see the Alibaba support coming, that's going to be a big deal for some users. Me, I'm eager to exercise the HTTP/2 feature.

--
Sean Gillies

Re: GDAL and cloud storage

David Strip-2
Users with large storage needs and tight budgets might want to look into B2 from Backblaze. It's significantly cheaper than S3. The structure (buckets and file) is similar to S3 as is the API, so implementing access in GDAL is probably pretty straightforward from the S3 implementation. I don't use cloud storage for geo-data, so I won't be pursuing this route, but I do use Backblaze for backup and have been extremely satisfied.

Full disclosure: My connection to Backblaze is pretty minor - one of the founders is a friend of a friend (ie, almost no connection at all)