[gdal-dev] GDAL 2.2.3 planning

Even Rouault-2

Hi,

I've add an exchange with Sebastiaan Couwenberg about a schedule that would give GDAL 2.2.3 a chance to enter the next Ubuntu LTS 18.04. While the date for the import freeze from Debian to Ubuntu is not know yet, based on the last release cycle, it seems that a GDAL 2.2.3 released this month would have a chance to make it (given other delays in Debian transitionning from experimental to unstable)

So I intend cutting a GDAL 2.2.3 release candidate for Nov 20th.

Please raise tickets if there are bug fixes that need to be backported and haven't yet been.

Even

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: GDAL 2.2.3 planning

jmckenna
Administrator
On 2017-11-01 7:32 AM, Even Rouault wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've add an exchange with Sebastiaan Couwenberg about a schedule that
> would give GDAL 2.2.3 a chance to enter the next Ubuntu LTS 18.04. While
> the date for the import freeze from Debian to Ubuntu is not know yet,
> based on the last release cycle, it seems that a GDAL 2.2.3 released
> this month would have a chance to make it (given other delays in Debian
> transitionning from experimental to unstable)
>
> So I intend cutting a GDAL 2.2.3 release candidate for Nov 20th.
>
> Please raise tickets if there are bug fixes that need to be backported
> and haven't yet been.
>
> Even

Hi Even,

Also, it is rarely ever discussed but I find that releases occurring
near the timing of other projects in the family can be helpful for all
(users, packagers, developers): MapServer release will be around the
week of the 15th also, so a Nov 20th GDAL release would be great.  This
can't always happen, but when it does it is sure nice.  -jeff

Re: GDAL 2.2.3 planning

Andre Joost
Am 01.11.2017 um 11:32 schrieb Even Rouault:

> Hi,
>
> I've add an exchange with Sebastiaan Couwenberg about a schedule that would
> give GDAL 2.2.3 a chance to enter the next Ubuntu LTS 18.04. While the date
> for the import freeze from Debian to Ubuntu is not know yet, based on the last
> release cycle, it seems that a GDAL 2.2.3 released this month would have a
> chance to make it (given other delays in Debian transitionning from
> experimental to unstable)
> So I intend cutting a GDAL 2.2.3 release candidate for Nov 20th.
> Please raise tickets if there are bug fixes that need to be backported and
> haven't yet been.

EPSG has released v9.2 of their database a few weeks ago. Since current
GDAL is still at v9.0, it would be a good time to update:

  https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/7125

Greetings,
André Joost

Re: GDAL 2.2.3 planning

Even Rouault-2

On jeudi 2 novembre 2017 15:08:46 CET Andre Joost wrote:

> Am 01.11.2017 um 11:32 schrieb Even Rouault:

> > Hi,

> > I've add an exchange with Sebastiaan Couwenberg about a schedule that

> > would

> > give GDAL 2.2.3 a chance to enter the next Ubuntu LTS 18.04. While the

> > date

> > for the import freeze from Debian to Ubuntu is not know yet, based on the

> > last release cycle, it seems that a GDAL 2.2.3 released this month would

> > have a chance to make it (given other delays in Debian transitionning

> > from experimental to unstable)

> > So I intend cutting a GDAL 2.2.3 release candidate for Nov 20th.

> > Please raise tickets if there are bug fixes that need to be backported and

> > haven't yet been.

> EPSG has released v9.2 of their database a few weeks ago. Since current

> GDAL is still at v9.0, it would be a good time to update:

> https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/7125

Andre,

I don't think this would appropriate for a bugfix release. More something for trunk.

Even

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: GDAL 2.2.3 planning

Markus Neteler
On Wed, Nov 1, 2017 at 7:26 PM, Jeff McKenna
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2017-11-01 7:32 AM, Even Rouault wrote:
>> I've add an exchange with Sebastiaan Couwenberg about a schedule that
>> would give GDAL 2.2.3 a chance to enter the next Ubuntu LTS 18.04. While the
>> date for the import freeze from Debian to Ubuntu is not know yet, based on
>> the last release cycle, it seems that a GDAL 2.2.3 released this month would
>> have a chance to make it (given other delays in Debian transitionning from
>> experimental to unstable)
>>
>> So I intend cutting a GDAL 2.2.3 release candidate for Nov 20th.
>>
>> Please raise tickets if there are bug fixes that need to be backported and
>> haven't yet been.
>>
>> Even
>>

> Hi Even,
>
> Also, it is rarely ever discussed but I find that releases occurring near
> the timing of other projects in the family can be helpful for all (users,
> packagers, developers): MapServer release will be around the week of the
> 15th also, so a Nov 20th GDAL release would be great.  This can't always
> happen, but when it does it is sure nice.  -jeff

Hi,

interestingly we are going to publish GRASS GIS 7.4.0 RC1 also in these days!

Best,
Markus

--
Markus Neteler, PhD
http://www.mundialis.de - free data with free software

Re: GDAL 2.2.3 planning

Sebastiaan Couwenberg
On 11/16/2017 10:16 PM, Markus Neteler wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 1, 2017 at 7:26 PM, Jeff McKenna
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 2017-11-01 7:32 AM, Even Rouault wrote:
>>> I've add an exchange with Sebastiaan Couwenberg about a schedule that
>>> would give GDAL 2.2.3 a chance to enter the next Ubuntu LTS 18.04. While the
>>> date for the import freeze from Debian to Ubuntu is not know yet, based on
>>> the last release cycle, it seems that a GDAL 2.2.3 released this month would
>>> have a chance to make it (given other delays in Debian transitionning from
>>> experimental to unstable)
>>>
>>> So I intend cutting a GDAL 2.2.3 release candidate for Nov 20th.
>>>
>>> Please raise tickets if there are bug fixes that need to be backported and
>>> haven't yet been.
>>>
>>> Even
>>>

>> Hi Even,
>>
>> Also, it is rarely ever discussed but I find that releases occurring near
>> the timing of other projects in the family can be helpful for all (users,
>> packagers, developers): MapServer release will be around the week of the
>> 15th also, so a Nov 20th GDAL release would be great.  This can't always
>> happen, but when it does it is sure nice.  -jeff
>
> Hi,
>
> interestingly we are going to publish GRASS GIS 7.4.0 RC1 also in these days!

Has the gdal-grass plugin been updated to support 7.4? Or are there no
new libraries that need to be linked like last time? [0]

[0] https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/6785

Kind Regards,

Bas

--
 GPG Key ID: 4096R/6750F10AE88D4AF1
Fingerprint: 8182 DE41 7056 408D 6146  50D1 6750 F10A E88D 4AF1

Re: GDAL 2.2.3 planning

Martin Landa

> Has the gdal-grass plugin been updated to support 7.4? Or are there no
> new libraries that need to be linked like last time? [0]
>
> [0] https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/6785

I tried to compile plugin against GRASS 7.4, no problem appeared. Ma

--
Martin Landa
http://geo.fsv.cvut.cz/gwiki/Landa

Re: GDAL 2.2.3 planning

Sebastiaan Couwenberg
On 11/17/2017 11:58 AM, Martin Landa wrote:
> Hi,

>> Has the gdal-grass plugin been updated to support 7.4? Or are there no
>> new libraries that need to be linked like last time? [0]
>>
>> [0] https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/6785
>
> I tried to compile plugin against GRASS 7.4, no problem appeared. Ma

Compiling wasn't the issue last time, it only showed at runtime.

I just packaged GRASS 7.4.0-RC1, and there are no new libraries like
last time, so that won't be an issue.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--
 GPG Key ID: 4096R/6750F10AE88D4AF1
Fingerprint: 8182 DE41 7056 408D 6146  50D1 6750 F10A E88D 4AF1

Re: GDAL 2.2.3 planning

Markus Neteler
Hi Even,

On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 11:59 AM, Sebastiaan Couwenberg
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/17/2017 11:58 AM, Martin Landa wrote:
>> Hi,

>>> Has the gdal-grass plugin been updated to support 7.4? Or are there no
>>> new libraries that need to be linked like last time? [0]
>>>
>>> [0] https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/6785
>>
>> I tried to compile plugin against GRASS 7.4, no problem appeared. Ma
>
> Compiling wasn't the issue last time, it only showed at runtime.

Configuration works also here but I didn't try yet to run it.

@Even: would it be possible to extract the "gdal-grass" as a separate tarball?
The existing one is too old:

http://download.osgeo.org/gdal/gdal-grass-1.11.2.tar.gz    06-Feb-2015
07:37     49K

thanks
Markus

Re: GDAL 2.2.3 planning

Even Rouault-2

Markus,

> @Even: would it be possible to extract the "gdal-grass" as a separate

> tarball? The existing one is too old:

> http://download.osgeo.org/gdal/gdal-grass-1.11.2.tar.gz 06-Feb-2015

> 07:37 49K

We should probably create an "old_releases" subdirectory and put everything in the top directory in it.

The most recent one is in:

http://download.osgeo.org/gdal/2.2.0/gdal-grass-2.2.0.tar.gz

But that's true it is not in

http://download.osgeo.org/gdal/2.2.2/

We should probably put in every point release, even if unchanged.

Even

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: GDAL 2.2.3 planning

Markus Neteler
Even,

On Sat, Nov 18, 2017 at 5:06 PM, Even Rouault
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Markus,
>

>> @Even: would it be possible to extract the "gdal-grass" as a separate
>
>> tarball? The existing one is too old:
>

>> http://download.osgeo.org/gdal/gdal-grass-1.11.2.tar.gz 06-Feb-2015
>
>> 07:37 49K
>

> We should probably create an "old_releases" subdirectory and put everything
> in the top directory in it.

... there is already:
http://download.osgeo.org/gdal/gdal-grass-old/

> The most recent one is in:
>
> http://download.osgeo.org/gdal/2.2.0/gdal-grass-2.2.0.tar.gz

ah, I missed that it is alongside the releases.

> But that's true it is not in
>
> http://download.osgeo.org/gdal/2.2.2/
>
> We should probably put in every point release, even if unchanged.

Yes, thanks. Otherwise hard to fine... (the file is tiny anyway).

Markus

Re: GDAL 2.2.3 planning

Angelos Tzotsos
The tar ball is automatically extracted from Debian git:

http://http.debian.net/debian/pool/main/libg/libgdal-grass/libgdal-grass_2.2.2.orig.tar.gz

Best,
Angelos

On 11/18/2017 06:06 PM, Even Rouault wrote:
Markus,

@Even: would it be possible to extract the "gdal-grass" as a separate
tarball? The existing one is too old:

http://download.osgeo.org/gdal/gdal-grass-1.11.2.tar.gz    06-Feb-2015
07:37     49K
We should probably create an "old_releases" subdirectory and put everything in the top
directory in it.

The most recent one is in:

http://download.osgeo.org/gdal/2.2.0/gdal-grass-2.2.0.tar.gz

But that's true it is not in
http://download.osgeo.org/gdal/2.2.2/
We should probably put in every point release, even if unchanged.

Even

Angelos Tzotsos, PhD
Charter Member
Open Source Geospatial Foundation