[gdal-dev] Fwd: arcsde ogr driver and GDAL 2+

[gdal-dev] Fwd: arcsde ogr driver and GDAL 2+

Johan Van de Wauw
Hi all,

I wonder if anyone has used the arcsde driver with GDAL 2+

I immediately bumped on two issues:
the first is a compilation error, see patch:
https://github.com/johanvdw/gdal/commit/b83ef2eaf1c2bcca8b012d4fb39ee0589302fe93

The second is an error because there are both an OGR and a raster driver:
johan@wp1270-debian:~/test# ogrinfo arcsde.vrt sde_layer
Error opening file for reading: No such file or directory
ERROR 1: A non OGR driver is registered with the same name: SDE
FAILURE:
Unable to open datasource `arcsde.vrt' with the following drivers.

I could fix this error by renaming the ogr driver:
https://github.com/johanvdw/gdal/commit/dc3c5f50af10372995a1cff23bd874694309231a
Not sure though if that is the best possible fix.

After that fix there was still an error which I'm still investigating,
but I'd like to know if this is a good way to fix that error or if I
should do sth else.

I got the driver working before on 1.9 -> 1.11.5, but this also
required some plumbing (linking gdal to pthread_atfork.o, which can be
extracted on debian as:
ar -xv /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.a pthread_atfork.o
). See the problems reported here: [1]

Kind Regards,
Johan
[1] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/2011-September/030195.html

Re: Fwd: arcsde ogr driver and GDAL 2+

Even Rouault-2
Le jeudi 03 novembre 2016 15:08:29, Johan Van de Wauw a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> I wonder if anyone has used the arcsde driver with GDAL 2+

Nobody has maintained it in years. Never compiled it myself.

Applied in trunk and 2.1 branch per https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/6714

> The second is an error because there are both an OGR and a raster driver:
> johan@wp1270-debian:~/test# ogrinfo arcsde.vrt sde_layer
> Error opening file for reading: No such file or directory
> ERROR 1: A non OGR driver is registered with the same name: SDE
> FAILURE:
> Unable to open datasource `arcsde.vrt' with the following drivers.
>
> I could fix this error by renaming the ogr driver:
> https://github.com/johanvdw/gdal/commit/dc3c5f50af10372995a1cff23bd87469430
> 9231a Not sure though if that is the best possible fix.

I've applied a variation and used "OGR_SDE" instead (similarly to the OGR_VRT
vs VRT drivers). So that the logic in  OGRSFDriverRegistrar::GetDriverByName()
can select the right driver when used the old OGR driver API with the SDE
name.

Even

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: Fwd: arcsde ogr driver and GDAL 2+

Stefano Iacovella

Le jeudi 03 novembre 2016 15:08:29, Johan Van de Wauw a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> I wonder if anyone has used the arcsde driver with GDAL 2+

Nobody has maintained it in years. Never compiled it myself.

moreover since release 10.3 ESRI deprecated the ArcSDE product.
Consequently the SDK, that is mandatory for compiling GDAL with ArcSDE driver, is no more available for customers.
So your only chance to use GDAL with ArcSDE is to use an obsolete release of the product.

https://blogs.esri.com/esri/supportcenter/2015/02/11/where-is-the-install-for-arcsde-10-3/

Hope this helps

Stefano

41.95581N 12.52854E

http://www.linkedin.com/in/stefanoiacovella

http://twitter.com/#!/Iacovellas

Re: Fwd: arcsde ogr driver and GDAL 2+

Johan Van de Wauw
On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 4:06 PM, Stefano Iacovella
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Le jeudi 03 novembre 2016 15:08:29, Johan Van de Wauw a écrit :
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I wonder if anyone has used the arcsde driver with GDAL 2+
>>
>> Nobody has maintained it in years. Never compiled it myself.
>

> moreover since release 10.3 ESRI deprecated the ArcSDE product.
> Consequently the SDK, that is mandatory for compiling GDAL with ArcSDE
> driver, is no more available for customers.
> So your only chance to use GDAL with ArcSDE is to use an obsolete release of
> the product.

We are aware of that. In fact my customer is migrating all their
applications to an open source stack, but this takes time. This custom
version of gdal is part of the migration track.

I can confirm now that gdal 2.1.2 with the patches applied works fine
with esri arcsde 10.2 sdk (on ubuntu).

Kind Regards,
Johan

Re: Fwd: arcsde ogr driver and GDAL 2+

Stefano Iacovella
Thanks Johan for letting us know it can work

All the best