[gdal-dev] Fwd: [Projects] please create a new project flyer for your project with the new branding till FOSS4G Boston

[gdal-dev] Fwd: [Projects] please create a new project flyer for your project with the new branding till FOSS4G Boston

Even Rouault-2

Hi,

Is someone interested in creating a flyer for GDAL ? See below

Even

From: Astrid Emde (OSGeo) <[hidden email]>

To: [hidden email]

Hello OSGeo projects,

it is not a long time till FOSS4G Boston where we will have an OSGeo

booth with the new OSGeo logo and new flyers for the projects.

This is why we need your help! Please create a new project flyer for

your OSGeo project with the new branding. We try to arrange it that the

flyer will be handed out at OSGeo booth in Boston from August 14-19,

2017 (http://2017.foss4g.org/)

The current flyer are out of date. You find them here as a template.

https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/browser/marketing/flyer/project_brochure_pdfs

https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/browser/marketing/flyer/

You also could take information from OSGeo-Live to setup your new flyer.

https://live.osgeo.org/en/overview/overview.html

You find the new branding material at:

https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/tree/master/marketing

Have a look at the GeoforAll flyer or OSGeo-Live flyer. You can see how

a flyer could look like

https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/blob/master/marketing/print/geoforall_a4.pdf

https://github.com/lucadelu/osgeo/blob/osgeolive/marketing/print/osgeolive_names_a4.svg

The best way is to fork the repository on GutHub and make a pull request

with your new flyer at the end.

These are the steps for you:

1. How to set up the fonts (on linux create the folder

$HOME/.local/share/fonts and copy the 4 .ttf there)

* Download from

https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/tree/master/marketing/branding/fonts

2. Take the svg template and modify it with the content of your project

https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/blob/master/marketing/print/osgeo_a4.svg

You can modify the svg either with a texteditor or f.e. inkscape.

3. In the end you can create a pull request to the osgeo repository

We try to organize it so the flyer will be printed and present at the

OSGeo booth

Thanks for your help.

If you have questions. Please ask on the list or contact me or Luca

http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Lucadelu

PS: Luca finished the OSGeo-Live flyer and wants to work on the

Zoo-Project and MapServer flyer too.

Astrid

--

Astrid Emde

Charter Member

Open Source Geospatial Foundation

http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Astrid_Emde

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: Fwd: [Projects] please create a new project flyer for your project with the new branding till FOSS4G Boston

Luca Delucchi
On 28 July 2017 at 17:38, Even Rouault <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,

Hi,

> Is someone interested in creating a flyer for GDAL ? See below

I'm going to work on it this evening/tomorrow morning...

--
ciao
Luca

www.lucadelu.org

Re: Fwd: [Projects] please create a new project flyer for your project with the new branding till FOSS4G Boston

Luca Delucchi
On 28 July 2017 at 17:38, Even Rouault <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,

Hi,

> Is someone interested in creating a flyer for GDAL ? See below

I worked on the flyer, but I need some more text and/or an image...

You can see the draft here

https://github.com/lucadelu/osgeo/blob/gdal/marketing/print/gdal_a4.svg

--
ciao
Luca

www.lucadelu.org

On vendredi 4 août 2017 14:31:24 CEST Luca Delucchi wrote:

> On 28 July 2017 at 17:38, Even Rouault <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Hi,

> Hi,

> > Is someone interested in creating a flyer for GDAL ? See below

> I worked on the flyer, but I need some more text and/or an image...

> You can see the draft here

> https://github.com/lucadelu/osgeo/blob/gdal/marketing/print/gdal_a4.svg

Thanks a lot Luca for tackling this !

A few observations/proposals:

- wondering if the subtiltle "The Geospatial Data Translation Tools" shouldn't be replaced by the "The Geospatial Data Abstraction Library and translation tools" to get both the menaing of the acronym and the practical uses

- perhaps replace "Welcome" by "Introduction" ?

- in this paragraph, I would remove bold characters starting with "As a library"

- I would replace "As a library, it is" by "It is writen in C++ and"

- In the raster format list, I would add OGC WCS/WMS/WMTS.. And int the vector format list OGC WFS

- I would replace in the vector formats "ESRI Personal Geodatabase" by "ESRI FileGeodatabase" since the latter is probably now more common than the former.

- in the language list, Ruby and VB6 should be removed (no longer supported)

- in "features", in the first bullet, I'd :

* add after "image warping": "reprojection"

* add after "merging": "tiling, DEM-related utilities (hillshading, slope, hypsometric rendernig)"

- in the "Support for large files" bullet, I'd append "- with modest memory requirements"

- in "where it is used", I'd removed OpenEV since the project is kind of dead now. In the "also utilized by" list, perhaps add gvSIG (to have at least one non C++ application)

- I don't know if the white backgound of the GDAL logo is intentional. If not, you could start from the original SVG drawing that has not this background :

https://svn.osgeo.org/gdal/trunk/gdal/data/GDALLogoColor.svg

Even

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: Fwd: [Projects] please create a new project flyer for your project with the new branding till FOSS4G Boston

jmckenna
Administrator
Luca: I have taken Even's feedback and made some more text changes, and
also added a hillshade DEM (of Frank's home area in Canada) created
through GDAL 2.2.1 on my machine.  It creates a big SVG now, but
you/designer can decide to keep that image or not.
http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/dl/gdal_a4.svg

PS. I created it using LibreOffice!

-jeff

On 5 August 2017 at 23:13, Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Luca: I have taken Even's feedback and made some more text changes, and also
> added a hillshade DEM (of Frank's home area in Canada) created through GDAL
> 2.2.1 on my machine.  It creates a big SVG now, but you/designer can decide
> to keep that image or not. http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/dl/gdal_a4.svg

Thanks Jeff, good job.

> PS. I created it using LibreOffice!

It create strange SVG file completely different from Inkscape, I'm
going to replace text in the old SVG, so it should be simpler to
modify...

--
ciao
Luca