[gdal-dev] Fwd: [OpenJPEG] OpenJPEG 2.2.0 is out ! Faster and safer.

[gdal-dev] Fwd: [OpenJPEG] OpenJPEG 2.2.0 is out ! Faster and safer.

Even Rouault-2

Hi,

For those working with JPEG2000, see below

Even

From: Antonin - OpenJPEG <[hidden email]>

To: [hidden email] <[hidden email]>

Hi folks,

OpenJPEG 2.2.0 is released today:

https://github.com/uclouvain/openjpeg/releases/tag/v2.2.0

This new release includes a significant number of improvements and bug fixes. In particular:

- Multi-threading support at decoding side

- Several speed optimisations both at encoder and decoder, and both on Wavelet Transform and Entropy Coding parts. On our test set, a single-threaded execution is now around 20% faster (encoding or decoding).

- Huge memory consumption reduction at decoding side (~60% reduction on large images)

- Several important bug fixes, in particular the one that was preventing OpenJPEG to encode lossless in some specific situations, as well as those related to mode switches (BYPASS/LAZY, RESTART/TERMALL, etc).

- Several security fixes thanks to the inclusion of OpenJPEG in the Google OSS Fuzz project.

Beside that, several improvements have been brought to the project maintenance, like inclusion of benchmarking scripts to compare speed with latest available kakadu binaries.

And, last but not least, API and ABI are 100% compatible with previous version.

More info:

News: https://github.com/uclouvain/openjpeg/blob/v2.2.0/NEWS.md

Changelog: https://github.com/uclouvain/openjpeg/blob/v2.2.0/CHANGELOG.md

Full Changelog: https://github.com/uclouvain/openjpeg/compare/v2.1.2...v2.2.0

As described in a previous post (https://groups.google.com/d/msg/openjpeg/CltNQpbbwm4/jajpDKq0AAAJ), all this has been made possible thanks to a funding from academic institutions and archival organizations, namely:

- Wellcome Library

- Stanford University

- Nationale Bibliotheek van Nederland (KBNL)

- University of Michigan

- University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)

And logistic support from the International Image Interoperability Framework (IIIF), the Council on Library and Information Resources (CLIR), intoPIX, and of course the Image and Signal Processing Group (ISPGroup) from University of Louvain (UCL, Belgium) hosting the OpenJPEG project. Thanks to all of them !

Many thanks also to Even Rouault, the developper who actually implemented these improvements, and of course to all contributors having suggested fixes or enhancements.

I hope you will find this new version useful, don’t hesitate to provide feedback to improve it even further. By the way, more improvements are yet to come in the coming months.

Enjoy,

Antonin

OpenJPEG is mainly supported by :

* UCL Image and Signal Processing Group (http://sites.uclouvain.be/ispgroup)

* IntoPIX (www.intopix.com)

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: Fwd: [OpenJPEG] OpenJPEG 2.2.0 is out ! Faster and safer.

Mateusz Loskot
Great efforts Even!

On 10 August 2017 at 09:17, Even Rouault <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> For those working with JPEG2000, see below
>

> Even

Sandro Mani

Hi Even

abidiff tells me:

* Incompatible ABI changes between openjpeg2-2.1.2-4.fc26.x86_64.rpm and openjpeg2-2.2.0-1.fc26.x86_64.rpm. ABI comparison took 0.45 second(s). Please review them.

================ changes of 'libopenjp2.so.2.1.2'===============
  Functions changes summary: 9 Removed, 5 Changed, 31 Added functions
  Variables changes summary: 0 Removed, 0 Changed, 0 Added variable

  9 Removed functions:

    'function void opj_mqc_create()'    {opj_mqc_create}
    'function OPJ_INT32 opj_mqc_decode()'    {opj_mqc_decode}
    'function void opj_mqc_destroy()'    {opj_mqc_destroy}
    'function OPJ_UINT32 opj_mqc_restart_enc()'    {opj_mqc_restart_enc}
    'function void opj_raw_create()'    {opj_raw_create}
    'function OPJ_UINT32 opj_raw_decode()'    {opj_raw_decode}
    'function void opj_raw_destroy()'    {opj_raw_destroy}
    'function void opj_raw_init_dec(OPJ_BYTE*, OPJ_UINT32)'    {opj_raw_init_dec}
    'function OPJ_UINT32 opj_raw_numbytes()'    {opj_raw_numbytes}

Is the ABI really 100% compatible?

Thanks
Sandro

On jeudi 10 août 2017 20:04:09 CEST Sandro Mani wrote:

> Hi Even

> abidiff tells me:

> * Incompatible ABI changes between openjpeg2-2.1.2-4.fc26.x86_64.rpm and

> openjpeg2-2.2.0-1.fc26.x86_64.rpm. ABI comparison took 0.45 second(s).

> Please review them.

> ================ changes of 'libopenjp2.so.2.1.2'===============

> Functions changes summary: 9 Removed, 5 Changed, 31 Added functions

> Variables changes summary: 0 Removed, 0 Changed, 0 Added variable

> 9 Removed functions:

> 'function void opj_mqc_create()' {opj_mqc_create}

> 'function OPJ_INT32 opj_mqc_decode()' {opj_mqc_decode}

> 'function void opj_mqc_destroy()' {opj_mqc_destroy}

> 'function OPJ_UINT32 opj_mqc_restart_enc()' {opj_mqc_restart_enc}

> 'function void opj_raw_create()' {opj_raw_create}

> 'function OPJ_UINT32 opj_raw_decode()' {opj_raw_decode}

> 'function void opj_raw_destroy()' {opj_raw_destroy}

> 'function void opj_raw_init_dec(OPJ_BYTE*, OPJ_UINT32)'

> {opj_raw_init_dec} 'function OPJ_UINT32 opj_raw_numbytes()'

> {opj_raw_numbytes}

> Is the ABI really 100% compatible?

(Should be rather for the openjpeg mailing list)

The functions you mention are internal functions not exposed in the API of openjpeg.h and that should normally not be exported

http://www.openjpeg.org/abi-check/timeline/openjpeg/ finds 100% compatibility

Even

On 10.08.2017 20:10, Even Rouault wrote:

On jeudi 10 août 2017 20:04:09 CEST Sandro Mani wrote:

> Hi Even

> abidiff tells me:

> * Incompatible ABI changes between openjpeg2-2.1.2-4.fc26.x86_64.rpm and

> openjpeg2-2.2.0-1.fc26.x86_64.rpm. ABI comparison took 0.45 second(s).

> Please review them.

> ================ changes of 'libopenjp2.so.2.1.2'===============

> Functions changes summary: 9 Removed, 5 Changed, 31 Added functions

> Variables changes summary: 0 Removed, 0 Changed, 0 Added variable

> 9 Removed functions:

> 'function void opj_mqc_create()' {opj_mqc_create}

> 'function OPJ_INT32 opj_mqc_decode()' {opj_mqc_decode}

> 'function void opj_mqc_destroy()' {opj_mqc_destroy}

> 'function OPJ_UINT32 opj_mqc_restart_enc()' {opj_mqc_restart_enc}

> 'function void opj_raw_create()' {opj_raw_create}

> 'function OPJ_UINT32 opj_raw_decode()' {opj_raw_decode}

> 'function void opj_raw_destroy()' {opj_raw_destroy}

> 'function void opj_raw_init_dec(OPJ_BYTE*, OPJ_UINT32)'

> {opj_raw_init_dec} 'function OPJ_UINT32 opj_raw_numbytes()'

> {opj_raw_numbytes}

> Is the ABI really 100% compatible?

(Should be rather for the openjpeg mailing list)

Yeah sorry was too lazy to subscribe.

The functions you mention are internal functions not exposed in the API of openjpeg.h and that should normally not be exported

http://www.openjpeg.org/abi-check/timeline/openjpeg/ finds 100% compatibility

Okay thanks

Sandro