[gdal-dev] FileGDB OGR driver test

12

[gdal-dev] FileGDB OGR driver test

rburhum
Hello list,

I am trying to test a new version of the FileGDB driver for OGR, but I lack enough FileGDBs to test :)
If you have an *ArcGIS 10* FileGDB and would like to test the FileGDB driver (and report back), feel free to grab a gdal-trunk binary I made for Windows.

All I want to know is if it works with polygons and lines, so feel free to test it with those types.

Known issues with build / FileGDB driver

- (driver issue) blobs and date fields are not handled at all
- (driver issue) read-only (for now)
- (build issue) I didn't include geos (means spatial operations will be bounding-box based)
- (build issue) I didn't include the proj libraries (means a change of coordinate system will not work)

you can use it like this:

//create kml from FileGDB class
ogr2ogr -f "KML" out2.kml C:\Users\rburhum\Desktop\FileGDB_API_VS2008_1_0beta3\samples\data\ExecuteSQL.gdb "Cities"

//create shapefile
ogr2ogr -f "ESRI Shapefile" myshape.shp C:\Users\rburhum\Desktop\FileGDB_API_VS2008_1_0beta3\samples\data\ExecuteSQL.gdb "Cities"

You can find the test binaries at

http://bit.ly/gdZqar

Best Regards,

- Ragi

[gdal-dev] Re: FileGDB OGR driver test

peifer
On 04/04/2011 05:05, Ragi Burhum wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I am trying to test a new version of the FileGDB driver for OGR, but I
> lack enough FileGDBs to test :)

Is the lack of FileGDBs still an issue? At work, we have several
hundreds of them and I could check if I can make some available.

> If you have an *ArcGIS 10* FileGDB and would like to test the FileGDB
> driver (and report back), feel free to grab a gdal-trunk binary I made
> for Windows.

A related question: will there ever be a FileGDB driver for a
non-Windows OS? Is this feasible at all?

Hermann

Re: FileGDB OGR driver test

Smith, Michael ERDC-CRREL-NH
Hermann,

You can use the FileGDB driver with Linux. The FileGDB api has been
available on Linux since Beta 2.

I plan to do some testing in the next couple of days.

Mike

--
Michael Smith
Remote Sensing/GIS Center

On 4/12/11 1:08 PM, "Hermann Peifer" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 04/04/2011 05:05, Ragi Burhum wrote:
>> Hello list,
>>
>> I am trying to test a new version of the FileGDB driver for OGR, but I
>> lack enough FileGDBs to test :)
>
> Is the lack of FileGDBs still an issue? At work, we have several
> hundreds of them and I could check if I can make some available.
>
>> If you have an *ArcGIS 10* FileGDB and would like to test the FileGDB
>> driver (and report back), feel free to grab a gdal-trunk binary I made
>> for Windows.
>
> A related question: will there ever be a FileGDB driver for a
> non-Windows OS? Is this feasible at all?
>
> Hermann

Re: FileGDB OGR driver test

Even Rouault
Le mardi 12 avril 2011 19:08:24, Hermann Peifer a écrit :
> On 04/04/2011 05:05, Ragi Burhum wrote:
> > Hello list,
> >
> > I am trying to test a new version of the FileGDB driver for OGR, but I
> > lack enough FileGDBs to test :)
>
> Is the lack of FileGDBs still an issue? At work, we have several
> hundreds of them and I could check if I can make some available.

ArcGIS 10 FileGDB's right ?

Yes "real" data would be usefull. But it would also be usefull if you (or
anyone else) could provide small and freely redistribuable
samples (potentially "fake" data) with different types of
geometries (1 feature for each geometry type is enough in theory), column
types (integer, single, double, string, date), etc.. so that it can be
included in the GDAL/OGR autotest suite.

> > If you have an *ArcGIS 10* FileGDB and would like to test the FileGDB
> > driver (and report back), feel free to grab a gdal-trunk binary I made
> > for Windows.
>
> A related question: will there ever be a FileGDB driver for a
> non-Windows OS? Is this feasible at all?

Current GDAL trunk builds against FileGDB API beta3 under Linux 32bit. Too bad
ESRI doesn't provide any 64bit build of the FileGDB API (yet... ?)

> Hermann

Re: FileGDB OGR driver test

mhw-at-yg
Hi Hermann,  it's so good to hear there is active work on this!

>> I am trying to test a new version of the FileGDB driver for OGR, but I
>> lack enough FileGDBs to test :)

Ho many do you need, what kind of contents should they have, and how
big? e.g. feature classes, feature datasets, topologies, attribute
domains, sub-types, relationship classes, feature representations, etc.

For gdb's to test volume,
ftp://ftp2.cits.nrcan.gc.ca/pub/canvec/canada_fgdb/ has up to 10gb in size.

I have a gdb using a relationship class which can be made available with
a bit of work. And another with feature representations due in a couple
of months, but I can make private subset release early if it's helpful.

I'm willing to create and share other kinds for testing, just let me
know what you're looking for.

cheers,

--
matt wilkie
Geomatics Analyst

-Matt

Re: FileGDB OGR driver test

Smith, Michael ERDC-CRREL-NH
Even,

How do you configure gdal/ogr to build with the linux api?

I'm working on getting some example datasets together.

Mike

--
Michael Smith
Remote Sensing/GIS Center

On 4/12/11 2:28 PM, "Even Rouault" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le mardi 12 avril 2011 19:08:24, Hermann Peifer a écrit :
>> On 04/04/2011 05:05, Ragi Burhum wrote:
>>> Hello list,
>>>
>>> I am trying to test a new version of the FileGDB driver for OGR, but I
>>> lack enough FileGDBs to test :)
>>
>> Is the lack of FileGDBs still an issue? At work, we have several
>> hundreds of them and I could check if I can make some available.
>
> ArcGIS 10 FileGDB's right ?
>
> Yes "real" data would be usefull. But it would also be usefull if you (or
> anyone else) could provide small and freely redistribuable
> samples (potentially "fake" data) with different types of
> geometries (1 feature for each geometry type is enough in theory), column
> types (integer, single, double, string, date), etc.. so that it can be
> included in the GDAL/OGR autotest suite.
>

>>> If you have an *ArcGIS 10* FileGDB and would like to test the FileGDB
>>> driver (and report back), feel free to grab a gdal-trunk binary I made
>>> for Windows.
>>
>> A related question: will there ever be a FileGDB driver for a
>> non-Windows OS? Is this feasible at all?
>
> Current GDAL trunk builds against FileGDB API beta3 under Linux 32bit. Too bad
> ESRI doesn't provide any 64bit build of the FileGDB API (yet... ?)
>

>> Hermann

Re: FileGDB OGR driver test

mhw-at-yg
 > ArcGIS 10 FileGDB's right ?

If the api allows for using gdb's from different versions then the test
suite should have different versions too. In any case I can make v10 gdb's.

> Current GDAL trunk builds against FileGDB API beta3 under Linux 32bit. Too bad
> ESRI doesn't provide any 64bit build of the FileGDB API (yet... ?)

"""
We are working on a Linux 64-bit release of the File Geodatabase API. It
will not release with the 1.0 release of the API, but as a part of a
follow on release later this year.

Lance Shipman
Geodatabase Product Engineer, File Geodatabase
esri
"""
--
http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/22223-Cross-plattform-API?p=89593&viewfull=1#post89593

-matt
-Matt

Re: FileGDB OGR driver test

Even Rouault
Le mardi 12 avril 2011 20:37:06, Smith, Michael ERDC-CRREL-NH a écrit :
> Even,
>
> How do you configure gdal/ogr to build with the linux api?

This is a bit involved since there's no ./configure support yet, so I compile
it "at hand" as a plugin

Here's the line I use from GDAL root source directory :

g++ -Wall -g ogr/ogrsf_frmts/filegdb/*.c* -shared -o ogr_filegdb.so -Iport -
Igcore -Iogr -Iogr/ogrsf_frmts -Iogr/ogrsf_frmts/filegdb -L. -lgdal -
I/home/even/filegdb/dist/include -L/home/even/filegdb/dist/lib  -
I/home/even/filegdb/dist/src/FileGDBEngine/include/FileGDBLinux -lFileGDBAPI

You must change the /home/even/filegdb/ paths to where you uncompress the
filegdb API

And you must define the GDAL_DRIVER_PATH environmenet variable to point to the
path where ogr_filegdb.so is

> I'm working on getting some example datasets together.
>
> Mike

> >> Is the lack of FileGDBs still an issue? At work, we have several
> >> hundreds of them and I could check if I can make some available.
> >
> > ArcGIS 10 FileGDB's right ?
> >
> > Yes "real" data would be usefull. But it would also be usefull if you (or
> > anyone else) could provide small and freely redistribuable
> > samples (potentially "fake" data) with different types of
> > geometries (1 feature for each geometry type is enough in theory), column
> > types (integer, single, double, string, date), etc.. so that it can be
> > included in the GDAL/OGR autotest suite.

> >> A related question: will there ever be a FileGDB driver for a
> >> non-Windows OS? Is this feasible at all?
> >
> > Current GDAL trunk builds against FileGDB API beta3 under Linux 32bit.
> > Too bad ESRI doesn't provide any 64bit build of the FileGDB API (yet...
> > ?)
> >
> >> Hermann

Re: FileGDB OGR driver test

Even Rouault
Le mardi 12 avril 2011 20:40:58, Matt Wilkie a écrit :
>  > ArcGIS 10 FileGDB's right ?
>
> If the api allows for using gdb's from different versions then the test
> suite should have different versions too. In any case I can make v10 gdb's.

No, the FileGDB API only reads v10 gdb's.

> > Current GDAL trunk builds against FileGDB API beta3 under Linux 32bit.
> > Too bad ESRI doesn't provide any 64bit build of the FileGDB API (yet...
> > ?)
>
> """
> We are working on a Linux 64-bit release of the File Geodatabase API. It
> will not release with the 1.0 release of the API, but as a part of a
> follow on release later this year.
>
> Lance Shipman
> Geodatabase Product Engineer, File Geodatabase
> esri
> """

Re: FileGDB OGR driver test

Smith, Michael ERDC-CRREL-NH
I have a test v10 filegdb with points, lines, polygons (all with Z and M but
I think the measures aren't populated). There are also some non geometry
tables and some relationship classes.

Its available at

http://12.189.158.78:8081/downloads/test_fgdb.gdb.zip

Mike

--
Michael Smith
Remote Sensing/GIS Center

On 4/12/11 2:48 PM, "Even Rouault" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le mardi 12 avril 2011 20:40:58, Matt Wilkie a écrit :
>>> ArcGIS 10 FileGDB's right ?
>>
>> If the api allows for using gdb's from different versions then the test
>> suite should have different versions too. In any case I can make v10 gdb's.
>
> No, the FileGDB API only reads v10 gdb's.
>

>>> Current GDAL trunk builds against FileGDB API beta3 under Linux 32bit.
>>> Too bad ESRI doesn't provide any 64bit build of the FileGDB API (yet...
>>> ?)
>>
>> """
>> We are working on a Linux 64-bit release of the File Geodatabase API. It
>> will not release with the 1.0 release of the API, but as a part of a
>> follow on release later this year.
>>
>> Lance Shipman
>> Geodatabase Product Engineer, File Geodatabase
>> esri
>> """

Re: FileGDB OGR driver test

rburhum
Perfect. Thank you Michael.

- Ragi

Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 15:45:25 -0400
From: "Smith, Michael ERDC-CRREL-NH" <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [gdal-dev] Re: FileGDB OGR driver test
To: Even Rouault <[hidden email]>,
       <[hidden email]>

I have a test v10 filegdb with points, lines, polygons (all with Z and M but
I think the measures aren't populated). There are also some non geometry
tables and some relationship classes.

Its available at

http://12.189.158.78:8081/downloads/test_fgdb.gdb.zip

Mike

--
Michael Smith
Remote Sensing/GIS Center
US Army Corps of Engineers

On 4/12/11 2:48 PM, "Even Rouault" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le mardi 12 avril 2011 20:40:58, Matt Wilkie a écrit :
>>> ArcGIS 10 FileGDB's right ?
>>
>> If the api allows for using gdb's from different versions then the test
>> suite should have different versions too. In any case I can make v10 gdb's.
>
> No, the FileGDB API only reads v10 gdb's.
>

>>> Current GDAL trunk builds against FileGDB API beta3 under Linux 32bit.
>>> Too bad ESRI doesn't provide any 64bit build of the FileGDB API (yet...
>>> ?)
>>
>> """
>> We are working on a Linux 64-bit release of the File Geodatabase API. It
>> will not release with the 1.0 release of the API, but as a part of a
>> follow on release later this year.
>>
>> Lance Shipman
>> Geodatabase Product Engineer, File Geodatabase
>> esri

Re: FileGDB OGR driver test

Eli Adam
Ragi,

     I tested the driver on just one FileGDB which included a date
field.  You stated,

Known issues with build / FileGDB driver
- (driver issue) blobs and date fields are not handled at all

Here is what I did and successfully got the data.  The date field was
made a double and populated with 0, however, since it says that date
fields are not handled, it is nice that the rest of the process still
worked on the other fields and the data was exported.

ogr2ogr ODF_Lincoln_Roads.shp West_Oregon_Roads.gdb
"ODF_Lincoln_Roads"
Warning 6: Field RDSRCDATE create as date field, though DateTime
requested.

Warning 6: Normalized/laundered field name: 'CONSTRUCTED' to
'CONSTRUCTE'
Warning 6: Normalized/laundered field name: 'Shape_Length' to
'Shape_Leng'
Warning 1: Row id: 4 col:10 has unhandled col type (11). Setting to
NULL.
ERROR 1: GDB Error: Failed to determine value for column CONST_DATE
long:-2147217395
ERROR 1: GDB Error: Failed to determine value for column CONST_DATE
long:-2147217395

Thanks for the work on this.

Eli

>>> On 4/13/2011 at 11:13 AM, in message
<[hidden email]>, Ragi Burhum

wrote:

>> gdb's.
>> >
>> > No, the FileGDB API only reads v10 gdb's.

API. It

Re: FileGDB OGR driver test

Even Rouault
Le mercredi 13 avril 2011 21:00:42, Eli Adam a écrit :
> Ragi,
>
>      I tested the driver on just one FileGDB which included a date
> field.  You stated,
>
> Known issues with build / FileGDB driver
> - (driver issue) blobs and date fields are not handled at all

Yesterday, with the Michael Smith's test filegdb, I fixed the handling of date
fields, so if you just update from SVN, it should work now.

An example with blobs would be usefull

> Here is what I did and successfully got the data.  The date field was
> made a double and populated with 0, however, since it says that date
> fields are not handled, it is nice that the rest of the process still
> worked on the other fields and the data was exported.
>
> ogr2ogr ODF_Lincoln_Roads.shp West_Oregon_Roads.gdb
> "ODF_Lincoln_Roads"
> Warning 6: Field RDSRCDATE create as date field, though DateTime
> requested.
>
> Warning 6: Normalized/laundered field name: 'CONSTRUCTED' to
> 'CONSTRUCTE'
> Warning 6: Normalized/laundered field name: 'Shape_Length' to
> 'Shape_Leng'
> Warning 1: Row id: 4 col:10 has unhandled col type (11). Setting to
> NULL.
> ERROR 1: GDB Error: Failed to determine value for column CONST_DATE
> long:-2147217395
> ERROR 1: GDB Error: Failed to determine value for column CONST_DATE
> long:-2147217395
>
> Thanks for the work on this.
>
> Eli

> <[hidden email]>, Ragi Burhum
>
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Perfect. Thank you Michael.
> >
> > - Ragi
> >
> >> Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 15:45:25 -0400
> >> From: "Smith, Michael ERDC-CRREL-NH" <[hidden email]>
> >> Subject: Re: [gdal-dev] Re: FileGDB OGR driver test
> >> To: Even Rouault <[hidden email]>,
> >>
> >>        <[hidden email]>

> >> I have a test v10 filegdb with points, lines, polygons (all with Z
>
> and M
>
> >> but
> >> I think the measures aren't populated). There are also some non
>
> geometry
>
> >> tables and some relationship classes.
> >>
> >> Its available at
> >>
> >> http://12.189.158.78:8081/downloads/test_fgdb.gdb.zip
> >>
> >> Mike
> >>

> >> --
> >> Michael Smith
> >> Remote Sensing/GIS Center
> >> US Army Corps of Engineers

> the test

> v10
>
> >> gdb's.

> 32bit.

> (yet...

> API. It

> of a

Re: FileGDB OGR driver test

Eli Adam
I tried compiling the FileGDB OGR driver on ubuntu 8.04 and got a few
errors.  On the first step I got:

eadam@lgis0229ubuntu:/usr/local/src/gdal$ g++ -Wall -g
ogr/ogrsf_frmts/filegdb/*.c* -shared -o ogr_filegdb.so -Iport -Igcore
-Iogr -Iogr/ogrsf_frmts -Iogr/ogrsf_frmts/filegdb -L. -lgdal
-I/home/eadam/filegdb/dist/include -L/home/eadam/filegdb/dist/lib
-I/home/eadam/filegdb/dist/src/FileGDBEngine/include/FileGDBLinux
-lFileGDBAPI
In file included from ogr/ogrsf_frmts/filegdb/ogr_fgdb.h:51,
                 from ogr/ogrsf_frmts/filegdb/FGdbDatasource.cpp:29:
/home/eadam/filegdb/dist/include/Geodatabase.h:237: warning: ignoring
#pragma warning
/home/eadam/filegdb/dist/include/Geodatabase.h:238: warning: ignoring
#pragma warning
/home/eadam/filegdb/dist/include/Geodatabase.h:242: warning: ignoring
#pragma warning
In file included from ogr/ogrsf_frmts/filegdb/ogr_fgdb.h:51,
                 from ogr/ogrsf_frmts/filegdb/FGdbDriver.cpp:29:
/home/eadam/filegdb/dist/include/Geodatabase.h:237: warning: ignoring
#pragma warning
/home/eadam/filegdb/dist/include/Geodatabase.h:238: warning: ignoring
#pragma warning
/home/eadam/filegdb/dist/include/Geodatabase.h:242: warning: ignoring
#pragma warning
In file included from ogr/ogrsf_frmts/filegdb/ogr_fgdb.h:51,
                 from ogr/ogrsf_frmts/filegdb/FGdbLayer.cpp:29:
/home/eadam/filegdb/dist/include/Geodatabase.h:237: warning: ignoring
#pragma warning
/home/eadam/filegdb/dist/include/Geodatabase.h:238: warning: ignoring
#pragma warning
/home/eadam/filegdb/dist/include/Geodatabase.h:242: warning: ignoring
#pragma warning
In file included from ogr/ogrsf_frmts/filegdb/ogr_fgdb.h:51,
                 from ogr/ogrsf_frmts/filegdb/FGdbUtils.h:33,
                 from ogr/ogrsf_frmts/filegdb/FGdbUtils.cpp:29:
/home/eadam/filegdb/dist/include/Geodatabase.h:237: warning: ignoring
#pragma warning
/home/eadam/filegdb/dist/include/Geodatabase.h:238: warning: ignoring
#pragma warning
/home/eadam/filegdb/dist/include/Geodatabase.h:242: warning: ignoring
#pragma warning

Then I added to ~.bashrc:
GDAL_DRIVER_PATH=/usr/local/src/gdal
export GDAL_DRIVER_PATH

then:
eadam@lgis0229ubuntu:/usr/local/src/gdal$ ogrinfo --formats
ERROR 1: libFileGDBAPI.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file
or directory
ERROR 1: libFileGDBAPI.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file
or directory
Supported Formats:
 -> "ESRI Shapefile" (read/write)
  -> "MapInfo File" (read/write)
  -> "UK .NTF" (readonly)
  -> "SDTS" (readonly)
  -> "TIGER" (read/write)

Any suggestions?  I've been tracking trunk of gdal for about a year,
although always in a simple fashion (no plugins etc).  I would not
necessarily catch something basic.

Best Regards, Eli

>>> On 4/12/2011 at 11:47 AM, in message
<[hidden email]>, Even Rouault
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Le mardi 12 avril 2011 20:37:06, Smith, Michael ERDC-CRREL-NH a écrit
:
>> Even,
>>
>> How do you configure gdal/ogr to build with the linux api?
>
> This is a bit involved since there's no ./configure support yet, so I

> compile
> it "at hand" as a plugin
>
> Here's the line I use from GDAL root source directory :
>
> g++ -Wall -g ogr/ogrsf_frmts/filegdb/*.c* -shared -o ogr_filegdb.so
-Iport -
> Igcore -Iogr -Iogr/ogrsf_frmts -Iogr/ogrsf_frmts/filegdb -L. -lgdal
-
> I/home/even/filegdb/dist/include -L/home/even/filegdb/dist/lib  -
> I/home/even/filegdb/dist/src/FileGDBEngine/include/FileGDBLinux
-lFileGDBAPI

> You must change the /home/even/filegdb/ paths to where you uncompress
the
> filegdb API
>
> And you must define the GDAL_DRIVER_PATH environmenet variable to
point to

> the
> path where ogr_filegdb.so is
>

>> I'm working on getting some example datasets together.
>>
>> Mike

>> > ArcGIS 10 FileGDB's right ?
>> >
>> > Yes "real" data would be usefull. But it would also be usefull if
you (or
>> > anyone else) could provide small and freely redistribuable
>> > samples (potentially "fake" data) with different types of
>> > geometries (1 feature for each geometry type is enough in theory),
column
>> > types (integer, single, double, string, date), etc.. so that it
can be
>> > included in the GDAL/OGR autotest suite.

FileGDB
I made

>> > Current GDAL trunk builds against FileGDB API beta3 under Linux
32bit.
>> > Too bad ESRI doesn't provide any 64bit build of the FileGDB API
(yet...

>> > ?)

Re: FileGDB OGR driver test

Even Rouault
Le jeudi 14 avril 2011 16:50:16, Eli Adam a écrit :

> I tried compiling the FileGDB OGR driver on ubuntu 8.04 and got a few
> errors.  On the first step I got:
>
> eadam@lgis0229ubuntu:/usr/local/src/gdal$ g++ -Wall -g
> ogr/ogrsf_frmts/filegdb/*.c* -shared -o ogr_filegdb.so -Iport -Igcore
> -Iogr -Iogr/ogrsf_frmts -Iogr/ogrsf_frmts/filegdb -L. -lgdal
> -I/home/eadam/filegdb/dist/include -L/home/eadam/filegdb/dist/lib
> -I/home/eadam/filegdb/dist/src/FileGDBEngine/include/FileGDBLinux
> -lFileGDBAPI
> In file included from ogr/ogrsf_frmts/filegdb/ogr_fgdb.h:51,
>                  from ogr/ogrsf_frmts/filegdb/FGdbDatasource.cpp:29:
> /home/eadam/filegdb/dist/include/Geodatabase.h:237: warning: ignoring
> #pragma warning
> /home/eadam/filegdb/dist/include/Geodatabase.h:238: warning: ignoring
> #pragma warning
> /home/eadam/filegdb/dist/include/Geodatabase.h:242: warning: ignoring
> #pragma warning
> In file included from ogr/ogrsf_frmts/filegdb/ogr_fgdb.h:51,
>                  from ogr/ogrsf_frmts/filegdb/FGdbDriver.cpp:29:
> /home/eadam/filegdb/dist/include/Geodatabase.h:237: warning: ignoring
> #pragma warning
> /home/eadam/filegdb/dist/include/Geodatabase.h:238: warning: ignoring
> #pragma warning
> /home/eadam/filegdb/dist/include/Geodatabase.h:242: warning: ignoring
> #pragma warning
> In file included from ogr/ogrsf_frmts/filegdb/ogr_fgdb.h:51,
>                  from ogr/ogrsf_frmts/filegdb/FGdbLayer.cpp:29:
> /home/eadam/filegdb/dist/include/Geodatabase.h:237: warning: ignoring
> #pragma warning
> /home/eadam/filegdb/dist/include/Geodatabase.h:238: warning: ignoring
> #pragma warning
> /home/eadam/filegdb/dist/include/Geodatabase.h:242: warning: ignoring
> #pragma warning
> In file included from ogr/ogrsf_frmts/filegdb/ogr_fgdb.h:51,
>                  from ogr/ogrsf_frmts/filegdb/FGdbUtils.h:33,
>                  from ogr/ogrsf_frmts/filegdb/FGdbUtils.cpp:29:
> /home/eadam/filegdb/dist/include/Geodatabase.h:237: warning: ignoring
> #pragma warning
> /home/eadam/filegdb/dist/include/Geodatabase.h:238: warning: ignoring
> #pragma warning
> /home/eadam/filegdb/dist/include/Geodatabase.h:242: warning: ignoring
> #pragma warning

Just warnings due to a #pragma in filegdb headers. Although it is a bit
annoying, nothing to worry about

> Then I added to ~.bashrc:
> GDAL_DRIVER_PATH=/usr/local/src/gdal
> export GDAL_DRIVER_PATH
>
> then:
> eadam@lgis0229ubuntu:/usr/local/src/gdal$ ogrinfo --formats
> ERROR 1: libFileGDBAPI.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file
> or directory
> ERROR 1: libFileGDBAPI.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file
> or directory
> Supported Formats:
>  -> "ESRI Shapefile" (read/write)
>   -> "MapInfo File" (read/write)
>   -> "UK .NTF" (readonly)
>   -> "SDTS" (readonly)
>   -> "TIGER" (read/write)

Just add /home/eadam/filegdb/dist/lib to your LD_LIBRARY_PATH

> Any suggestions?  I've been tracking trunk of gdal for about a year,
> although always in a simple fashion (no plugins etc).  I would not
> necessarily catch something basic.

Yes I agree. At some point, it would be desirable for the driver to be
integrated properly to the build system

> Best Regards, Eli

Re: FileGDB OGR driver test

Eli Adam
I reviewed this a little further.  I was mistaken in my first report,
the field RDSRCDATE was created as DATE (as opposed to DateTime) and
populated with null.

I had mistakenly checked and reported on the field CONST_DATE which is
created as an Integer and populated with null.  (I don't know if the
field is populated in the fgdb.)

eadam@lgis0229ubuntu:/usr/local/src/gdal$ ogrinfo --formats
ERROR 1: libFileGDBAPI.so: cannot open shared object file: No such
file
or directory
ERROR 1: libFileGDBAPI.so: cannot open shared object file: No such
file
or directory
Supported Formats:
 -> "ESRI Shapefile" (read/write)
  -> "MapInfo File" (read/write)
  -> "UK .NTF" (readonly)
  -> "SDTS" (readonly)
  -> "TIGER" (read/write)

Any suggestions?  I've been tracking trunk of gdal for about a year,
although always in a simple fashion (no plugins etc).  I would not
necessarily catch something basic.

Based on reading this two sites,
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/480764/linux-error-while-loading-shared-libraries-cannot-open-shared-object-file-no-su
and
http://replay.waybackmachine.org/20090301081221/http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/Program-Library-HOWTO/shared-libraries.html

I fixed this by calling it this way,
eadam@lgis0229ubuntu:~$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=.:/home/eadam/filegdb/dist/lib
ogrinfo --formats

Now I get eadam@lgis0229ubuntu:~$
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=.:/home/eadam/filegdb/dist/lib ogr2ogr
ODF_Lincoln_Roads_v2.shp ~/Desktop/West_Oregon_Roads.gdb
"ODF_Lincoln_Roads"
Warning 6: Field RDSRCDATE create as date field, though DateTime
requested.

Warning 6: Normalized/laundered field name: 'CONSTRUCTED' to
'CONSTRUCTE'
Warning 6: Normalized/laundered field name: 'Shape_Length' to
'Shape_Leng'
ERROR 1: GDB Error: Failed to determine value for column CONST_DATE
long:-2147217395
ERROR 1: GDB Error: Failed to determine value for column CONST_DATE
long:-2147217395

RDSRCDATE has dates in it now.  So it looks like this was a DateTime
field and got successfully demoted to a date field.

Thanks, Eli

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Le mardi 12 avril 2011 20:37:06, Smith, Michael ERDC-CRREL-NH a
écrit
:
>> Even,
>>
>> How do you configure gdal/ogr to build with the linux api?
>
> This is a bit involved since there's no ./configure support yet, so

> compile
> it "at hand" as a plugin
>
> Here's the line I use from GDAL root source directory :
>
> g++ -Wall -g ogr/ogrsf_frmts/filegdb/*.c* -shared -o ogr_filegdb.so
-Iport -
> Igcore -Iogr -Iogr/ogrsf_frmts -Iogr/ogrsf_frmts/filegdb -L. -lgdal
-
> I/home/even/filegdb/dist/include -L/home/even/filegdb/dist/lib  -
> I/home/even/filegdb/dist/src/FileGDBEngine/include/FileGDBLinux
-lFileGDBAPI

> You must change the /home/even/filegdb/ paths to where you
uncompress
the
> filegdb API
>
> And you must define the GDAL_DRIVER_PATH environmenet variable to
point to

> the
> path where ogr_filegdb.so is
>

>> I'm working on getting some example datasets together.
>>
>> Mike

OGR,
but I

>> > ArcGIS 10 FileGDB's right ?
>> >
>> > Yes "real" data would be usefull. But it would also be usefull if
you (or
>> > anyone else) could provide small and freely redistribuable
>> > samples (potentially "fake" data) with different types of
>> > geometries (1 feature for each geometry type is enough in
theory),
column
>> > types (integer, single, double, string, date), etc.. so that it
can be
>> > included in the GDAL/OGR autotest suite.

FileGDB
I made

>> > Current GDAL trunk builds against FileGDB API beta3 under Linux
32bit.
>> > Too bad ESRI doesn't provide any 64bit build of the FileGDB API
(yet...

>> > ?)

Re: FileGDB OGR driver test

rburhum
Even,

The I have a feeling that the handling of blobs may be a little more involved. The blobs in ESRI GeoDatabases are serialized COM SafeArrays that contain the actual binary information. So in order to *really* access the blob, one would have to strip the safearray portion out and expose the blob for reads, and wrap it with safearrays for writes so that it plays nice with the GDB. In all honesty, I am not sure, so I would have to write some tests to verify this, that is why I punted it.

As far as the date fields go, filegdb uses date-time fields... thanks for extending to make them work.

- Ragi

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 12:16 PM, Even Rouault <[hidden email]> wrote:
Le mercredi 13 avril 2011 21:00:42, Eli Adam a écrit :
> Ragi,
>
>      I tested the driver on just one FileGDB which included a date
> field.  You stated,
>
> Known issues with build / FileGDB driver
> - (driver issue) blobs and date fields are not handled at all

Yesterday, with the Michael Smith's test filegdb, I fixed the handling of date
fields, so if you just update from SVN, it should work now.

An example with blobs would be usefull

> Here is what I did and successfully got the data.  The date field was
> made a double and populated with 0, however, since it says that date
> fields are not handled, it is nice that the rest of the process still
> worked on the other fields and the data was exported.
>
> ogr2ogr ODF_Lincoln_Roads.shp West_Oregon_Roads.gdb
> "ODF_Lincoln_Roads"
> Warning 6: Field RDSRCDATE create as date field, though DateTime
> requested.
>
> Warning 6: Normalized/laundered field name: 'CONSTRUCTED' to
> 'CONSTRUCTE'
> Warning 6: Normalized/laundered field name: 'Shape_Length' to
> 'Shape_Leng'
> Warning 1: Row id: 4 col:10 has unhandled col type (11). Setting to
> NULL.
> ERROR 1: GDB Error: Failed to determine value for column CONST_DATE
> long:-2147217395
> ERROR 1: GDB Error: Failed to determine value for column CONST_DATE
> long:-2147217395
>
> Thanks for the work on this.
>
> Eli

> <[hidden email]>, Ragi Burhum
>
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Perfect. Thank you Michael.
> >
> > - Ragi
> >
> >> Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 15:45:25 -0400
> >> From: "Smith, Michael ERDC-CRREL-NH" <[hidden email]>
> >> Subject: Re: [gdal-dev] Re: FileGDB OGR driver test
> >> To: Even Rouault <[hidden email]>,
> >>
> >>        <[hidden email]>

> >> I have a test v10 filegdb with points, lines, polygons (all with Z
>
> and M
>
> >> but
> >> I think the measures aren't populated). There are also some non
>
> geometry
>
> >> tables and some relationship classes.
> >>
> >> Its available at
> >>
> >> http://12.189.158.78:8081/downloads/test_fgdb.gdb.zip
> >>
> >> Mike
> >>

> >> --
> >> Michael Smith
> >> Remote Sensing/GIS Center
> >> US Army Corps of Engineers

> the test

> v10
>
> >> gdb's.

> 32bit.

> (yet...

> API. It

> of a

Re: FileGDB OGR driver test

jmckenna
Administrator
Hello everyone,

Today I am also testing the FileGDB support, and I was surprised to find
that a wiki page in GDAL's 'buildhints' section had not been created, to
record all of this great testing and discussion....so others don't need
to search the mailing list. I have begun the document here, with my
Windows notes: http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/FileGDB

Please anyone that has went through testing already please update that
page with your own notes.

(I'd like to see this creating-a-buildhints-page as mandatory for any
new format)

Thanks!

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/

On 11-04-04 12:05 AM, Ragi Burhum wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> I am trying to test a new version of the FileGDB driver for OGR, but I
> lack enough FileGDBs to test :)
> If you have an *ArcGIS 10* FileGDB and would like to test the FileGDB
> driver (and report back), feel free to grab a gdal-trunk binary I made
> for Windows.
>
> All I want to know is if it works with polygons and lines, so feel free
> to test it with those types.
>
> Known issues with build / FileGDB driver
>
> - (driver issue) blobs and date fields are not handled at all
> - (driver issue) read-only (for now)
> - (build issue) I didn't include geos (means spatial operations will be
> bounding-box based)
> - (build issue) I didn't include the proj libraries (means a change of
> coordinate system will not work)
>
> you can use it like this:
>
> //create kml from FileGDB class
> ogr2ogr -f "KML" out2.kml
> C:\Users\rburhum\Desktop\FileGDB_API_VS2008_1_0beta3\samples\data\ExecuteSQL.gdb
> "Cities"
>
> //create shapefile
> ogr2ogr -f "ESRI Shapefile" myshape.shp
> C:\Users\rburhum\Desktop\FileGDB_API_VS2008_1_0beta3\samples\data\ExecuteSQL.gdb
> "Cities"
>
> You can find the test binaries at
>

>   http://bit.ly/gdZqar
>

> Best Regards,
>
> - Ragi

Re: FileGDB OGR driver test

jmckenna
Administrator
More feedback on the FileGDB driver:

- we're trying to access an OSM road network for Colorado, stored in fgb
format, created with ArcCatalog 10.0
(ftp://ftp.usace.army.mil/pub/erdc/crrel/rsgis/osm_colo_roads.zip)

- using gdal-trunk and FileGDB_API_1_0Final

- when executing ogrinfo for some reason the EXTENT is not displayed in
the results, such as:

{{{
ogrinfo osm_colo_roads.gdb united_states_united_states_colorado_highway -so
INFO: Open of `osm_colo_roads.gdb'
       using driver `FileGDB' successful.

Layer name: united_states_united_states_colorado_highway
Geometry: Multi Line String
Feature Count: 106940
Layer SRS WKT:
GEOGCS["WGS 84",
     DATUM["WGS_1984",
         SPHEROID["WGS 84",6378137,298.257223563,
             AUTHORITY["EPSG","7030"]],
         AUTHORITY["EPSG","6326"]],
     PRIMEM["Greenwich",0,
         AUTHORITY["EPSG","8901"]],
     UNIT["degree",0.0174532925199433,
         AUTHORITY["EPSG","9122"]],
     AUTHORITY["EPSG","4326"]]
FID Column = OBJECTID
Geometry Column = SHAPE
TYPE: String (0.0)
NAME: String (0.0)
ONEWAY: String (0.0)
LANES: Real (0.0)
}}}

Has anyone else noticed this? (testing with OGR-created fgb seems to
output extents fine)

Thanks.

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/

Re: FileGDB OGR driver test

Paul Ramsey-3
The fact that sometimes you can see an extent (when you create a FGDB
with OGR) seems to indicate a complexity beyond the driver simply not
reading extents... are you certain this FGDB file has extents set? I
assume it's OK for me to download it and test.

P.