[gdal-dev] Fedora package status

Nyall Dawson
Hi list,

Does anyone with any knowledge of the fedora packaging infrastructure
have any advice for getting the gdal library updated in the fedora
repos?

Even on the most recent Fedora releases, this is stuck at absolutely
ancient versions (2.3!).

Worse is that the proj library has been updated, resulting in the
not-recommended combination of proj 6/gdal 2 (specifically proj 6.2 --
a version with known critical bugs).

Nyall

Re: Fedora package status

mick howe-2
Don't know if this would still work but back about Fedora 1 - 3 I used checkinstall to build & package .tar.gz's into rpms then used a version of apt for redhat to manage them as a local repository.
I was a lot more clever back then and have been using arch since 2008-9

mick in glen innes

On Sun, 23 Feb 2020 at 00:46, Nyall Dawson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi list,

Does anyone with any knowledge of the fedora packaging infrastructure
have any advice for getting the gdal library updated in the fedora
repos?

Even on the most recent Fedora releases, this is stuck at absolutely
ancient versions (2.3!).

Worse is that the proj library has been updated, resulting in the
not-recommended combination of proj 6/gdal 2 (specifically proj 6.2 --
a version with known critical bugs).

Nyall

Re: Fedora package status

Sandro Mani

Hi Nyall

I've started the non-responsive maintainer process for various gis packages last week since they are indeed pretty neglected an am testing the updates here [1]. I'm hoping to finish the process next week and get things up-to-date again.

Sandro

[1] https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/smani/gisstack/

On 23.02.20 01:45, Nyall Dawson wrote:
Hi list,

Does anyone with any knowledge of the fedora packaging infrastructure
have any advice for getting the gdal library updated in the fedora
repos?

Even on the most recent Fedora releases, this is stuck at absolutely
ancient versions (2.3!).

Worse is that the proj library has been updated, resulting in the
not-recommended combination of proj 6/gdal 2 (specifically proj 6.2 --
a version with known critical bugs).

Nyall

Re: Fedora package status

Markus Neteler
Hi Sandro, Nyall, all,

On Sun, Feb 23, 2020 at 2:25 PM Sandro Mani <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Nyall
>
> I've started the non-responsive maintainer process for various gis packages last week since they are indeed pretty neglected an am testing the updates here [1]. I'm hoping to finish the process next week and get things up-to-date again.
>
> Sandro
>
> [1] https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/smani/gisstack/

This is cool, I already discovered your PR here:

https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/gdal

Being the maintainer of GRASS GIS in Fedora, I can try to push things
also for GDAL, based on your efforts.

Best
Markus

Re: Fedora package status

Nyall Dawson
On Sun, 23 Feb 2020 at 23:25, Sandro Mani <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Nyall
>
> I've started the non-responsive maintainer process for various gis packages last week since they are indeed pretty neglected an am testing the updates here [1]. I'm hoping to finish the process next week and get things up-to-date again.

Great news, thanks for your efforts here!

Let me know if I can do anything to help (even if you just want me to
pester on the bug reports to try to raise the severity of the issues
around these older package versions!)

Nyall

> Sandro
>
> [1] https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/smani/gisstack/
>
> On 23.02.20 01:45, Nyall Dawson wrote:
>
> Hi list,
>
> Does anyone with any knowledge of the fedora packaging infrastructure
> have any advice for getting the gdal library updated in the fedora
> repos?
>
> Even on the most recent Fedora releases, this is stuck at absolutely
> ancient versions (2.3!).
>
> Worse is that the proj library has been updated, resulting in the
> not-recommended combination of proj 6/gdal 2 (specifically proj 6.2 --
> a version with known critical bugs).
>
> Nyall

Re: Fedora package status

Sandro Mani
> Let me know if I can do anything to help (even if you just want me to
> pester on the bug reports to try to raise the severity of the issues
> around these older package versions!)

I've moved ahead and filed [1] to formally resolve the situation. Feel
free to add comments there.

Sandro

[1] https://pagure.io/fesco/issue/2345

>> Sandro
>>
>> [1] https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/smani/gisstack/
>>
>> On 23.02.20 01:45, Nyall Dawson wrote:
>>
>> Hi list,
>>
>> Does anyone with any knowledge of the fedora packaging infrastructure
>> have any advice for getting the gdal library updated in the fedora
>> repos?
>>
>> Even on the most recent Fedora releases, this is stuck at absolutely
>> ancient versions (2.3!).
>>
>> Worse is that the proj library has been updated, resulting in the
>> not-recommended combination of proj 6/gdal 2 (specifically proj 6.2 --
>> a version with known critical bugs).
>>
>> Nyall

Re: Fedora package status

Nyall Dawson
On Mon, 24 Feb 2020 at 20:32, Sandro Mani <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Let me know if I can do anything to help (even if you just want me to
> > pester on the bug reports to try to raise the severity of the issues
> > around these older package versions!)
>
> I've moved ahead and filed [1] to formally resolve the situation. Feel
> free to add comments there.

I see you're now the maintainer, and everything is looking MUCH
healthier!! Thank you!

One question: do you have plans to also update the Fedora 32 GDAL
package? That one is still stuck on 2.3

Nyall

> Sandro
>
> [1] https://pagure.io/fesco/issue/2345
>
> >> Sandro
> >>
> >> [1] https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/smani/gisstack/
> >>
> >> On 23.02.20 01:45, Nyall Dawson wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi list,
> >>
> >> Does anyone with any knowledge of the fedora packaging infrastructure
> >> have any advice for getting the gdal library updated in the fedora
> >> repos?
> >>
> >> Even on the most recent Fedora releases, this is stuck at absolutely
> >> ancient versions (2.3!).
> >>
> >> Worse is that the proj library has been updated, resulting in the
> >> not-recommended combination of proj 6/gdal 2 (specifically proj 6.2 --
> >> a version with known critical bugs).
> >>
> >> Nyall

Re: Fedora package status

Sandro Mani

On 06.03.20 07:03, Nyall Dawson wrote:
> I see you're now the maintainer, and everything is looking MUCH
> healthier!! Thank you!
>
> One question: do you have plans to also update the Fedora 32 GDAL
> package? That one is still stuck on 2.3

I'm finishing the rawhide rebuilds, once I've resolved all the issues
I'll proceed with F32, yes.

Sandro