[gdal-dev] ECW JPEG2000 SDK v5.0 now available

[gdal-dev] ECW JPEG2000 SDK v5.0 now available

Tweedie, Chris
Hi list,

Due to overwhelming interest from GDAL-ers I have cross posted the announcement here. For general SDK questions please post to http://geospatial.intergraph.com/Community/forums/27.aspx

SDK v5.0 is now available for download @ http://geospatial.intergraph.com/products/other/ecw/ERDASECWJPEG2000SDK/Downloads.aspx

Highlights include,

. Linux platform support
. Visual Studio 2012 support (VC110)
. Removed TBB dependency
. Static and dynamic library support
. ECW v3 format
- uint16 support
- null blocks to optimally store and compress imagery with vast no-data or null areas
- improved metadata support, statistics, histogram, RPC native storage
. Improved image quality for ECW files (decoder only)
. Vast improvements to the JPEG2000 decoder in terms of performance and compatibility
. Significant encoding performance improvements
. Full unicode support
. Improved examples for encoding and decoding
. Now a single unified library, NCSEcw (.dll / .so)

We are sure it was worth the wait, but let me know if you disagree :-)

Chris

Re: ECW JPEG2000 SDK v5.0 now available

William Kyngesburye
Bummer, still no OS X support.

On Jul 14, 2013, at 10:35 PM, Tweedie, Chris wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> Due to overwhelming interest from GDAL-ers I have cross posted the announcement here. For general SDK questions please post to http://geospatial.intergraph.com/Community/forums/27.aspx
>
> SDK v5.0 is now available for download @ http://geospatial.intergraph.com/products/other/ecw/ERDASECWJPEG2000SDK/Downloads.aspx
>
> Highlights include,
>
> . Linux platform support
> . Visual Studio 2012 support (VC110)
> . Removed TBB dependency
> . Static and dynamic library support
> . ECW v3 format
> - uint16 support
> - null blocks to optimally store and compress imagery with vast no-data or null areas
> - improved metadata support, statistics, histogram, RPC native storage
> . Improved image quality for ECW files (decoder only)
> . Vast improvements to the JPEG2000 decoder in terms of performance and compatibility
> . Significant encoding performance improvements
> . Full unicode support
> . Improved examples for encoding and decoding
> . Now a single unified library, NCSEcw (.dll / .so)
>
> We are sure it was worth the wait, but let me know if you disagree :-)
>
> Chris

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"The beast is actively interested only in now, and, as it is always now and always shall be, there is an eternity of time for the accomplishment of objects."

- the wisdom of Tarzan

Re: ECW JPEG2000 SDK v5.0 now available

Jean-Claude Repetto
Le 15/07/2013 15:26, William Kyngesburye a écrit :
> Bummer, still no OS X support.

and no Linux support for ARM.

SDK 3.3 is still the best option.
Intergraph is killing the ECW format.

Jean-Claude

Re: ECW JPEG2000 SDK v5.0 now available

Frank Warmerdam
Chris,

I tried it out and it looks pretty good.  I appreciate that the various compiler warnings I saw including the sdk include files in the beta are now all fixed!

Even,

I see the ecw_29 test case your introduced in r26176 (for #4822) now fails.  The current results seem to supersample in a different way that GDAL normally would - an off by a half issue that think is a reasonable interpretation of how to supersample.  Should the test be modified with a different case for ECW 5?  Or perhaps the test is just too fragile to be worthwhile?

Best regards,
Frank

On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 8:35 PM, Tweedie, Chris <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Even Rouault

> Even,
>
> I see the ecw_29 test case your introduced in r26176 (for #4822) now fails.
>  The current results seem to supersample in a different way that GDAL
> normally would - an off by a half issue that think is a reasonable
> interpretation of how to supersample.  Should the test be modified with a
> different case for ECW 5?  Or perhaps the test is just too fragile to be
> worthwhile?

I've fixed ecw_29 and ecw_41.

--
Geospatial professional services

Re: [gdal-dev] ECW JPEG2000 SDK v5.0 now available

Pedro Ferreira
Hi all!
I've followed the instructionsvposted by Luke in http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/27247/ecw-for-qgis-1-8-in-ubuntu-12-04/27398#27398 and it doesn't work in my Linux Mint 15. This is what come's out of my terminal when I "sudo gdal-ecw-build /usr/local/ecwjp2_sdk":

pedro@pedro ~ $ sudo gdal-ecw-build /usr/local/ecwjp2_sdk
Extracting GDAL/ECW tarball
Building GDAL/ECW plugin
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking C_WFLAGS for maximum warnings... -Wall -Wdeclaration-after-statement
checking for g++... g++
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking CXX_WFLAGS for maximum warnings... -Wall
checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... (cached) yes
checking for gcc option to accept ISO C89... (cached) none needed
checking whether we are using the GNU C++ compiler... (cached) yes
checking whether g++ accepts -g... (cached) yes
checking how to print strings... printf
checking for a sed that does not truncate output... /bin/sed
checking for egrep... /bin/grep -E
checking for fgrep... /bin/grep -F
checking for ld used by gcc... /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
checking for BSD- or MS-compatible name lister (nm)... /usr/bin/nm -B
checking the name lister (/usr/bin/nm -B) interface... BSD nm
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking the maximum length of command line arguments... 1572864
checking whether the shell understands some XSI constructs... yes
checking whether the shell understands "+="... yes
checking how to convert i686-pc-linux-gnu file names to i686-pc-linux-gnu format... func_convert_file_noop
checking how to convert i686-pc-linux-gnu file names to toolchain format... func_convert_file_noop
checking for /usr/bin/ld option to reload object files... -r
checking for objdump... objdump
checking how to recognize dependent libraries... pass_all
checking for dlltool... dlltool
checking how to associate runtime and link libraries... printf %s\n
checking for ar... ar
checking for archiver @FILE support... @
checking for strip... strip
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for gawk... gawk
checking command to parse /usr/bin/nm -B output from gcc object... ok
checking for sysroot... no
checking for mt... mt
checking if mt is a manifest tool... no
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking for dlfcn.h... yes
checking for objdir... .libs
checking if gcc supports -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions... no
checking for gcc option to produce PIC... -fPIC -DPIC
checking if gcc PIC flag -fPIC -DPIC works... yes
checking if gcc static flag -static works... yes
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.o... (cached) yes
checking whether the gcc linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
checking whether -lc should be explicitly linked in... no
checking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.so
checking how to run the C++ preprocessor... g++ -E
checking for ld used by g++... /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
checking whether the g++ linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
checking for g++ option to produce PIC... -fPIC -DPIC
checking if g++ PIC flag -fPIC -DPIC works... yes
checking if g++ static flag -static works... yes
checking if g++ supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking if g++ supports -c -o file.o... (cached) yes
checking whether the g++ linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
checking dynamic linker characteristics... (cached) GNU/Linux ld.so
checking for ranlib... (cached) ranlib
checking for g++ -shared ... yes
checking for dlopen in -ldl... yes
checking for nanosleep in -lrt... yes
checking for sin in -lm... yes
checking for ANSI C header files... (cached) yes
checking assert.h usability... yes
checking assert.h presence... yes
checking for assert.h... yes
checking fcntl.h usability... yes
checking fcntl.h presence... yes
checking for fcntl.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... (cached) yes
checking dbmalloc.h usability... no
checking dbmalloc.h presence... no
checking for dbmalloc.h... no
checking for dlfcn.h... (cached) yes
checking for stdint.h... (cached) yes
checking limits.h usability... yes
checking limits.h presence... yes
checking for limits.h... yes
checking locale.h usability... yes
checking locale.h presence... yes
checking for locale.h... yes
checking values.h usability... yes
checking values.h presence... yes
checking for values.h... yes
checking float.h usability... yes
checking float.h presence... yes
checking for float.h... yes
checking errno.h usability... yes
checking errno.h presence... yes
checking for errno.h... yes
checking direct.h usability... no
checking direct.h presence... no
checking for direct.h... no
checking whether byte ordering is bigendian... no
checking for 64bit integer type... long long
checking for 64bit file io... yes
checking for stat64... yes
checking for fopen64... yes
checking for ftruncate64... yes
checking size of int... 4
checking size of unsigned long... 4
checking size of void*... 4
checking for int8... no
checking for int16... no
checking for int32... no
checking native cpu bit order... lsb2msb
checking for vprintf... yes
checking for _doprnt... no
checking for snprintf... yes
checking for vsnprintf... yes
checking for atoll... yes
checking for strtof... yes
checking for getcwd... yes
checking whether strtof is declared... yes
checking for readlink... yes
checking for lstat... yes
checking for posix_spawnp... yes
checking for vfork... yes
checking for gmtime_r... yes
checking for localtime_r... yes
checking for setlocale... yes
checking whether GCC 4.1 atomic builtins are available... yes
checking for gdal-config... /usr/bin/gdal-config
using /usr/lib/gdalplugins/1.10 as GDAL shared library autoload directory
checking for libNCSEcw.so or libecwj2... found Intergraph 5.x+ SDK in /usr/local/ecwjp2_sdk/lib/x86/release.
checking for NCSECWClient.h in /usr/local/ecwjp2_sdk/include... found.
checking for ECWJP2BuildNumber.h in /usr/local/ecwjp2_sdk/include... found.
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating GDALmake.opt
config.status: WARNING:  'GDALmake.opt.in' seems to ignore the --datarootdir setting
config.status: executing libtool commands
sed: can't read ./ltmain.sh: No such file or directory
sed: can't read libtoolT: No such file or directory
g++ -g -O2 -fPIC  -Wall  -I/usr/include/gdal -DFRMT_ecw -I-I/usr/include/gdal -DHAVE_ECW_BUILDNUMBER_H -DLINUX -DX86 -DPOSIX -DHAVE_COMPRESS -DECW_COMPRESS_RW_SDK_VERSION -I/usr/local/ecwjp2_sdk/include  -c -o ecwdataset.o ecwdataset.cpp
In file included from /usr/local/ecwjp2_sdk/include/NCSMisc.h:30:0,
                 from /usr/local/ecwjp2_sdk/include/NCSString.h:38,
                 from /usr/local/ecwjp2_sdk/include/NCSThread.h:44,
                 from /usr/local/ecwjp2_sdk/include/NCSUtil.h:67,
                 from /usr/local/ecwjp2_sdk/include/NCSEcw/API/View.h:37,
                 from /usr/local/ecwjp2_sdk/include/NCSFile.h:18,
                 from gdal_ecw.h:59,
                 from ecwdataset.cpp:30:
/usr/lib/gcc/i686-linux-gnu/4.7/include/xmmintrin.h:32:3: erro: #error "SSE instruction set not enabled"
In file included from ecwdataset.cpp:30:0:
gdal_ecw.h: Na função membro ‘virtual bool VSIIOStream::Write(void*, UINT32)’:
gdal_ecw.h:370:75: aviso: narrowing conversion of ‘(((VSIIOStream*)this)->VSIIOStream::nCOMLength >> 8)’ from ‘int’ to ‘GByte {aka unsigned char}’ inside { } is ill-formed in C++11 [-Wnarrowing]
gdal_ecw.h:370:75: aviso: narrowing conversion of ‘(((VSIIOStream*)this)->VSIIOStream::nCOMLength & 255)’ from ‘int’ to ‘GByte {aka unsigned char}’ inside { } is ill-formed in C++11 [-Wnarrowing]
make: ** [ecwdataset.o] Erro 1

How can I fix this?

Pedro Ferreira