[gdal-dev] Coordinates Axis Order for EPSG:2193

[gdal-dev] Coordinates Axis Order for EPSG:2193

Jeremy Palmer-3
Is there a way to report the axis order that GDAL understands internally for automatically swapping coordinates axis order when dealing with OGC/GML services?

EPSG is defined as North/East order and is correct in http://epsg-registry.org/export.htm?wkt=urn:ogc:def:crs:EPSG::2193

However when I run gdalsrsinfo  -o wkt -p  "EPSG:2193" using GDAL 2.2.3 it does return any information relating to axis:

gdalsrsinfo  -o wkt -p  "EPSG:2193"

PROJCS["NZGD2000 / New Zealand Transverse Mercator 2000",
    GEOGCS["NZGD2000",
        DATUM["New_Zealand_Geodetic_Datum_2000",
            SPHEROID["GRS 1980",6378137,298.257222101,
                AUTHORITY["EPSG","7019"]],
            TOWGS84[0,0,0,0,0,0,0],
            AUTHORITY["EPSG","6167"]],
        PRIMEM["Greenwich",0,
            AUTHORITY["EPSG","8901"]],
        UNIT["degree",0.0174532925199433,
            AUTHORITY["EPSG","9122"]],
        AUTHORITY["EPSG","4167"]],
    PROJECTION["Transverse_Mercator"],
    PARAMETER["latitude_of_origin",0],
    PARAMETER["central_meridian",173],
    PARAMETER["scale_factor",0.9996],
    PARAMETER["false_easting",1600000],
    PARAMETER["false_northing",10000000],
    UNIT["metre",1,
        AUTHORITY["EPSG","9001"]],
    AUTHORITY["EPSG","2193”]]

However back in 2013 the gdalsrs did report it:  https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/2013-March/035624.html

Re: Coordinates Axis Order for EPSG:2193

Even Rouault-2

Hi Jeremy,

> Is there a way to report the axis order that GDAL understands internally

> for automatically swapping coordinates axis order when dealing with OGC/GML

> services?

> EPSG is defined as North/East order and is correct in

> http://epsg-registry.org/export.htm?wkt=urn:ogc:def:crs:EPSG::2193

> However when I run gdalsrsinfo -o wkt -p "EPSG:2193" using GDAL 2.2.3 it

> does return any information relating to axis:

> gdalsrsinfo -o wkt -p "EPSG:2193"

Yes, use "EPSGA:2193"

note the A after EPSG for Axis

If using EPSG, axis will be stripped off for lat-long geodetic SRS, and northing-easting projected SRS.

Whereas EPSGA always retain axis order

The rationale for the EPSG:xxxx behaviour is that most of the time the raster or vector data in those "inverted axis" CRS will actually be returned in GIS friendly order, and thus the axis info would be misleading.

> However back in 2013 the gdalsrs did report it:

> https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/2013-March/035624.html.

Yes, at that time stripping off was only implemented for lat-long geodetic SRS. It has since then being extended to northing-easting projected SRS.

Even

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: Coordinates Axis Order for EPSG:2193

Jeremy Palmer-3
Hi Even,

On Fri, Feb 9, 2018 at 7:16 AM, Even Rouault <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yes, use "EPSGA:2193"

note the A after EPSG for Axis

If using EPSG, axis will be stripped off for lat-long geodetic SRS, and northing-easting projected SRS.

Whereas EPSGA always retain axis order

The rationale for the EPSG:xxxx behaviour is that most of the time the raster or vector data in those "inverted axis" CRS will actually be returned in GIS friendly order, and thus the axis info would be misleading.

Thank you, makes perfect sense.

Another day, another another axis order issue :-(

Cheers
Jeremy