[gdal-dev] Call for discussion on RFC 79: Listing of Service Providers on GDAL website

[gdal-dev] Call for discussion on RFC 79: Listing of Service Providers on GDAL website

Even Rouault-2
Hi,

Please find https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/pull/3473 which proposes to list
service providers offering GDAL related services on the GDAL website. As
mentioned in the RFC, this is a straightfoward port of the equivalent adopted
RFC of the Mapserver project.

Even

--
http://www.spatialys.com

Re: Call for discussion on RFC 79: Listing of Service Providers on GDAL website

GDAL - Dev mailing list
Hi Even,

On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 2:56 AM Even Rouault <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Please find https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/pull/3473 which proposes to list
service providers offering GDAL related services on the GDAL website. As
mentioned in the RFC, this is a straightfoward port of the equivalent adopted
RFC of the Mapserver project.

Even

I'd like to hear more about the Mapserver project service provider list. Does it work? Is it kept up to date or does it get stale? Does the community find that it effectively steers $$ to consultants that fix bugs and maintain the project? With the difference in image/logo sizes, is the intent to make this look a bit like a conference sponsor page?

--
Sean Gillies

Re: Call for discussion on RFC 79: Listing of Service Providers on GDAL website

Even Rouault-2
Hi Sean,

(re-adding the list in CC)

> I'd like to hear more about the Mapserver project service provider list.
> Does it work?

Good question. I'm not sure which proportion of my Mapserver activity was due
to that. Probably not that much to be honest.

> Is it kept up to date or does it get stale?

We haven't used yet the reboot process suggested in the RFC. The list might be
a bit stale for a few providers.

> Does the community find that it effectively steers $$ to consultants that
fix bugs and maintain the project?

From my perspective, one of the motivation is also a signal for new adopters
that the project is actively supported, and they might find support at a later
point.

OSGeo has also a https://www.osgeo.org/service-providers/ page, but it is a
bit far from the projects.

> With the difference in image/logo sizes, is the
> intent to make this look a bit like a conference sponsor page?

I guess the intent is that the bigger the logo, the closer to upstream the
provider is.

Even

--
http://www.spatialys.com

Re: Call for discussion on RFC 79: Listing of Service Providers on GDAL website

tbonfort
Hi Sean,
To give my personal experience:

 Does it work?
It drove exactly 0 leads to me

Is it kept up to date or does it get stale?
I don't think it has ever been updated since it was put into place. I should remove myself from the list as I don't provide such services anymore.

Does the community find that it effectively steers $$ to consultants that fix bugs and maintain the project?
See 1. Maybe the larger companies had more success than myself as an individual consultant.

Thomas

Withh the difference in image/logo sizes, is the intent to make this look a bit like a conference sponsor page?

--
Sean Gillies

Re: Call for discussion on RFC 79: Listing of Service Providers on GDAL website

jratike80
GDAL - Dev mailing list wrote
> Hi Even,
>
> On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 2:56 AM Even Rouault &lt;

> even.rouault@

> &gt;
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Please find https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/pull/3473 which proposes to
>> list
>> service providers offering GDAL related services on the GDAL website. As
>> mentioned in the RFC, this is a straightfoward port of the equivalent
>> adopted
>> RFC of the Mapserver project.
>>
>> Even
>>

> I'd like to hear more about the Mapserver project service provider list.
> Does it work? Is it kept up to date or does it get stale? Does the
> community find that it effectively steers $$ to consultants that fix bugs
> and maintain the project? With the difference in image/logo sizes, is the
> intent to make this look a bit like a conference sponsor page?
>
> --
> Sean Gillies

Hi,

Maybe the number of new potential customers searching for consultants to do
Mapserver development is not so huge at the moment and the old ones know
their contacts already. However, I feel that the service provider list does
work for the Geoserver project. Probably mostly not so that users start by
browsing the list and pick a contractor. It is rather so that core Geoserver
developers know that often there is a minimal chance that some bug will be
fixed or some feature request will be implemented just because there is an
open ticket about that. Then they can inform the user about the reasonable
alternatives like in this example that I picked from a mailing list:

"That does not mean we cannot work around a deficiency in a rogue server,
but be prepared to issue your PR or fund development though commercial
services: http://geoserver.org/support/"

For my mind that is also fair for the users and gives more hope than the
comment on the OSSIM site, that is otherwise my absolute favorite:

"We encourage users to use the software as-is or become an active
contributor."

-Jukka Rahkonen-

Re: Call for discussion on RFC 79: Listing of Service Providers on GDAL website

GDAL - Dev mailing list
Hi Jukka,

On Wed, Feb 24, 2021 at 12:20 AM jratike80 <[hidden email]> wrote:
GDAL - Dev mailing list wrote
> Hi Even,
>
> On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 2:56 AM Even Rouault &lt;

> even.rouault@

> &gt;
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Please find https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/pull/3473 which proposes to
>> list
>> service providers offering GDAL related services on the GDAL website. As
>> mentioned in the RFC, this is a straightfoward port of the equivalent
>> adopted
>> RFC of the Mapserver project.
>>
>> Even
>>

> I'd like to hear more about the Mapserver project service provider list.
> Does it work? Is it kept up to date or does it get stale? Does the
> community find that it effectively steers $$ to consultants that fix bugs
> and maintain the project? With the difference in image/logo sizes, is the
> intent to make this look a bit like a conference sponsor page?
>
> --
> Sean Gillies

Hi,

Maybe the number of new potential customers searching for consultants to do
Mapserver development is not so huge at the moment and the old ones know
their contacts already. However, I feel that the service provider list does
work for the Geoserver project. Probably mostly not so that users start by
browsing the list and pick a contractor. It is rather so that core Geoserver
developers know that often there is a minimal chance that some bug will be
fixed or some feature request will be implemented just because there is an
open ticket about that. Then they can inform the user about the reasonable
alternatives like in this example that I picked from a mailing list:

"That does not mean we cannot work around a deficiency in a rogue server,
but be prepared to issue your PR or fund development though commercial
services: http://geoserver.org/support/"

For my mind that is also fair for the users and gives more hope than the
comment on the OSSIM site, that is otherwise my absolute favorite:

"We encourage users to use the software as-is or become an active
contributor."

-Jukka Rahkonen-

Thanks for the explanation. I agree that we can't fairly tell new people that they may have to pay for help without showing them who they may hire.

--
Sean Gillies