full day workshops?

adam steer-2
Hi all

Do you think we should offer full-day workshops at FOSS4G SotM Oceania in 2019?

This will require more cat herding around the call for workshops, and *might* introduce additional logistical issues on the day (depending on what full day workshops are on offer).

Full day workshops may also impact the number of different half day workshop presenters we can offer.

A mitigation there may be that ‘full day workshops are far more likely to be accepted if they are collaborations’ - ie people need to team up to deliver them, ideally from different institutions/regions/demographic cohorts.

On the other side of the coin, full day workshops might open up some really interesting / different work we just can’t fit into 3.5 hours.

Pricing would need to be undiscounted as the budget stands, ie one full day workshop price  == two half day workshops.

Slight apologies for the long form, better to show that there’s been some thought applied to logistics and impacts already.

Regards

Adam

Re: full day workshops?

Martin Tomko

My 2c:

  • Consider planning full day workshops so that the two half are bookable separately, as a beginner/advanced bit.

BUT, one main thing that most conferences do badly – the workshop chairs fail at moderating content and program., They just accept all. Often you end up with oversupply in one area, diluting the critical mass, and not enough offered in another. Workshop chairs should actively engage with the proposers if there are multiple workshops with close topics, so that they consider (not forced) to integrate, to provide a richer, better, more supported experience.

In my view, this was done better last year than at any other (academic) conference I ever attended ( and some presenter combined forces), but can be further improved on.

Cheers,

M.

Re: full day workshops?

John Bryant
I have been to some really great full day workshops, where the amount of content really called for the extended time. I like the idea.

Obviously needs to be balanced out against the added challenges around the call for workshops, scheduling, and registration. It would incur some extra load in terms of messaging, to make sure everything's super clear. But if people are on top of these things, I feel like it could be manageable.

Re: full day workshops?

Jan Ducnuigeen
I like the idea to include some related two half day workshops - with 3 rooms at 18 seat capacity and 3 rooms at 32 seat capacity (and the others in between in capacity) it might make it quite possible to have the beginner/advanced workshops split. These room capacities could accommodate higher interest and lower interest workshops with equal time. I agree with the idea of managing the workshops as two half day related events as it gives a lot more flexibility to attendees to mix and match their interests, but at this point I'm not sure of the impact on scheduling and registration.

On Wed, May 1, 2019 at 5:20 AM John Bryant <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have been to some really great full day workshops, where the amount of content really called for the extended time. I like the idea.

Obviously needs to be balanced out against the added challenges around the call for workshops, scheduling, and registration. It would incur some extra load in terms of messaging, to make sure everything's super clear. But if people are on top of these things, I feel like it could be manageable.

Re: full day workshops?

Edoardo Neerhut
I find it hard to commit either way without knowing which workshop ideas will be submitted, but I thought Martin's idea was creative. We could give people the opportunity to run a workshop in the morning and then have the afternoon workshop be a continuation.

The structure would still be two half day workshops, but the workshop presenter would have the to run a session throughout the day. The onus would be on the presenter and workshop selectors to make sure the morning and afternoon sessions were distinct enough that people would not necessarily have to commit to the full day.

On Wed, 1 May 2019 at 04:24, Jan Ducnuigeen <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I think we have a clear ‘potentially offer all day’ workshop preference. So let’s lock that in as we produce the CfP.

Now - some scoring ideas:

Given that one of our aims is to bring new faces into the game (inclusivity), I  propose that full day workshops meet some criteria for collaboration: broadly, If you really want a full day, teaming up will get you higher scores; a full day of ‘companyX showing its wares’ will get you lower scores.

Does that sound allright? it would be great to discuss how that might work out / how to write it into a call.

Regards

Adam

Re: full day workshops?

Martin Tomko

Great idea.

What about: ”Full day workshop proposals will be considered. Note that full day slots are rare, and will be allocated based on careful review, considering the depth of experience with the content presented, experience with presenting workshops to diverse autdiences on the topic, and the diversity of the presenter team (covering multiple application areas, coming from multiple institutions, and others). The extent of the material covered must warrant the full day slot while not overloading the audience. The ability to recruit helpers that may assist the main speakers with hands-on challenges the participants may observe is a plus.”

M.