formal request for OSGeo sponsorship for annual code sprint

formal request for OSGeo sponsorship for annual code sprint

Robert Cheetham
OSGeo Board,

I am writing to make a formal request for sponsorship of the 2015 OSGeo Code Sprint, to be held in Philadelphia Feb 9 - 13.  We have already lined up almost $10,000 in sponsorships, but, similar to previous years, we are making a request for support from OSGeo.

Our request is for $ 12,000, a somewhat higher amount than was requested for 2014.  While many of projected expenses are in line with past years, we were unable to find a venue willing to donate the space so we have a $ 3,800 venue fee.  In addition, we have taken the step of reserving a block of hotel rooms and this required Azavea to commit to a minimum number of room nights.  We have suggested an approach that might help to both raise registration as well as cover part of out-of-town sprinter's expenses.

In line with the the OSGeo Code Sprint Guidelines, we have prepared the following materials:

The budget is outlined using a similar format to the 2014 sprint in Vienna.

Any surplus will be returned to OSGeo.

I invite the board to let me know if you have any questions about the materials or the request,

Best regards,

Robert

------------------
Robert Cheetham

Azavea  |  340 N 12th St, Ste 402, Philadelphia, PA
[hidden email]  | T 215.701.7713
Web azavea.com  |  Blog azavea.com/blogs  |  Twitter @rcheetham  and @azavea

Azavea is a B Corporation - we apply geospatial technology for civic and social impact
while advancing the state-of-the-art through research. Join us.

Re: formal request for OSGeo sponsorship for annual code sprint

Stephan Meißl
Hi Robert,

please note that there is also the surplus from last year's sprint of
€9,826.03 or roughly $11,000 available. There are some ideas around of
how and when to transfer the money. Thus I propose to discuss and decide
directly at the sprint unless you need it beforehand of course.

Looking forward to meet in Philadelphia soon.

cu
Stephan

On 01/27/2015 01:29 PM, Robert Cheetham wrote:

> OSGeo Board,
>
> I am writing to make a formal request for sponsorship of the 2015 OSGeo
> Code Sprint, to be held in Philadelphia Feb 9 - 13.  We have already
> lined up almost $10,000 in sponsorships, but, similar to previous years,
> we are making a request for support from OSGeo.
>
> Our request is for $ 12,000, a somewhat higher amount than was requested
> for 2014.  While many of projected expenses are in line with past years,
> we were unable to find a venue willing to donate the space so we have a
> $ 3,800 venue fee.  In addition, we have taken the step of reserving a
> block of hotel rooms and this required Azavea to commit to a minimum
> number of room nights.  We have suggested an approach that might help to
> both raise registration as well as cover part of out-of-town sprinter's
> expenses.
>
> In line with the the OSGeo Code Sprint Guidelines
> <http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Code_Sprint_Guidelines>, we have prepared
> the following materials:
> */
> /*
> */Sprint wiki
> page:/ * http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Philadelphia_Code_Sprint_2015
>
> /*Formal proposal */outlining the requested information from OSGeo Code
> Sprint Guidelines <http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Code_Sprint_Guidelines>:
>  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eInBOaj8PF2V7U9kt4JRcrkhyI9puh2EdygCmulXa4I/edit?usp=sharing
>
> /*Detailed Budget:
>  */https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ctrAdPuhw7HzFFT_0X5gMsw-p_cBuLguLVj4mtNl--M/edit?usp=sharing
>
> The budget is outlined using a similar format to the 2014 sprint in
> Vienna
> <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AvA-LTbghEuHdC1oX3BpYW9RUU5neTU4ZkZOeEpwcFE>.
>
> Any surplus will be returned to OSGeo.
>
> I invite the board to let me know if you have any questions about the
> materials or the request,
>
> Best regards,
>
> Robert

Re: formal request for OSGeo sponsorship for annual code sprint

Robert Cheetham
Stephan,

Thanks for bringing this up.  I did not realize we might have potentially allocated that money in the budget, so I did not include it as a potential source. If we included that, then our request to the Board could potentially be much lower.

We do not need access to this in advance.

Regards,

Robert

------------------

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 4:49 PM, Stephan Meißl <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Robert,

please note that there is also the surplus from last year's sprint of
€9,826.03 or roughly $11,000 available. There are some ideas around of
how and when to transfer the money. Thus I propose to discuss and decide
directly at the sprint unless you need it beforehand of course.

Looking forward to meet in Philadelphia soon.

cu
Stephan

On 01/27/2015 01:29 PM, Robert Cheetham wrote:
> OSGeo Board,
>
> I am writing to make a formal request for sponsorship of the 2015 OSGeo
> Code Sprint, to be held in Philadelphia Feb 9 - 13.  We have already
> lined up almost $10,000 in sponsorships, but, similar to previous years,
> we are making a request for support from OSGeo.
>
> Our request is for $ 12,000, a somewhat higher amount than was requested
> for 2014.  While many of projected expenses are in line with past years,
> we were unable to find a venue willing to donate the space so we have a
> $ 3,800 venue fee.  In addition, we have taken the step of reserving a
> block of hotel rooms and this required Azavea to commit to a minimum
> number of room nights.  We have suggested an approach that might help to
> both raise registration as well as cover part of out-of-town sprinter's
> expenses.
>
> In line with the the OSGeo Code Sprint Guidelines
> <http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Code_Sprint_Guidelines>, we have prepared
> the following materials:
> */
> /*
> */Sprint wiki
> page:/ * http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Philadelphia_Code_Sprint_2015
>
> /*Formal proposal */outlining the requested information from OSGeo Code
> Sprint Guidelines <http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Code_Sprint_Guidelines>:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eInBOaj8PF2V7U9kt4JRcrkhyI9puh2EdygCmulXa4I/edit?usp=sharing

> /*Detailed Budget:
>  */https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ctrAdPuhw7HzFFT_0X5gMsw-p_cBuLguLVj4mtNl--M/edit?usp=sharing
>
> The budget is outlined using a similar format to the 2014 sprint in
> Vienna
> <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AvA-LTbghEuHdC1oX3BpYW9RUU5neTU4ZkZOeEpwcFE>.
>
> Any surplus will be returned to OSGeo.
>
> I invite the board to let me know if you have any questions about the
> materials or the request,
>
> Best regards,
>
> Robert

Re: formal request for OSGeo sponsorship for annual code sprint

Robert Cheetham
OSGeo Board,

A quick update.  We have managed to secure additional sponsorships over the past week from:

 * FOSSGIS
 * Boundless Spatial
 * Typesafe

As a result, I'm going to reduce the amount being requested from OSGeo from 12,000 to 10,000.

Best,

Robert

------------------

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 4:29 PM, Robert Cheetham <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

[hidden email]  | T <a href="tel:215.701.7713" value="+12157017713" target="_blank">215.701.7713
Web azavea.com  |  Blog azavea.com/blogs  |  Twitter @rcheetham  and @azavea

Azavea is a B Corporation - we apply geospatial technology for civic and social impact
while advancing the state-of-the-art through research. Join us.

Re: formal request for OSGeo sponsorship for annual code sprint

Michael Smith
Robert,

Do this include the amount from the 2014 Vienna Sprint?

--
Michael Smith
RSGIS Center

Re: formal request for OSGeo sponsorship for annual code sprint

jmckenna
Administrator
Thanks Robert.  I have added your formal request to the agenda to the
next Board meeting[1], for this coming Thursday, so you will have a
response shortly.

PS. I am very happy to see that your budget includes covering breakfast,
lunch, and dinner ("fuel") for the attendees.  Excellent.

[1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2015-02-05

-jeff

On 2015-02-01 2:51 PM, Robert Cheetham wrote:

> [...]
>
>     /*Formal proposal */outlining the requested information from OSGeo
>     Code Sprint Guidelines
>     <http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Code_Sprint_Guidelines>:
>     https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eInBOaj8PF2V7U9kt4JRcrkhyI9puh2EdygCmulXa4I/edit?usp=sharing
>
>     /*Detailed Budget:
>     */https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ctrAdPuhw7HzFFT_0X5gMsw-p_cBuLguLVj4mtNl--M/edit?usp=sharing
>
>     The budget is outlined using a similar format to the 2014 sprint in
>     Vienna
>     <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AvA-LTbghEuHdC1oX3BpYW9RUU5neTU4ZkZOeEpwcFE>.
>
>     Any surplus will be returned to OSGeo.
>
>     I invite the board to let me know if you have any questions about
>     the materials or the request,
>
>     Best regards,
>
>     Robert

Re: formal request for OSGeo sponsorship for annual code sprint

Michael,

We did not include the surplus from the past sprints (a cumulative amount of about $11,000 based on current exchange rates) as we assumed that this surplus had been remitted to OSGeo.  From what Stephan has said, that is not the case and these funds remain available and could potentially be applied to this code sprint in place of an OSGeo sponsorship.

Regards,

Robert