following up with conference committee chat

following up with conference committee chat

jody.garnett
I had a chance to talk with our conference committee:
  • Proposing adoption of "live" code of conduct rather than maintaining our own. We can put forward a motion to use http://berlincodeofconduct.org/ next board meeting.
  • Steps to take following a code of conduct incident
For item two the I think the code of conduct committee has done all they can; contacting the individual and then asking our president to contact his direct supervisor. Sadly the supervisor was dismissive of our concerns and our president.

I believe the next step this is to take this to the department head, or to the university board.

I am proposing writing a formal letter in my role as chair of the osgeo board to the university board in question expressing our embarrassment in the behaviour of their student, and failure of their supervisor. We will have to set up our blacklist, we can include our letter next to the students name. If the university offers us an appology, or if the student offers an appology later in his professional career we can list those also.

The student and supervisor are not members of our organization, it appears we have limited contact with them through the UN Initiative. We can share this letter with the appropriate UN chair as that organization is also having trouble of conduct of its members.

Frankly folks attending our events are our guests. We are very clear with our code of conduct with respect to expected behaviour. I am completely fine with OSGeo providing professional consequences to in appropriate behaviour. When attending a professional conference you do so not only as yourself but as a representative of your department and organization.

There is a language barrier and we will need to ask for our letter to be translated.
--
Jody Garnett

Re: following up with conference committee chat

Bruce Bannerman-3
Hi Jody,

I can infer what has happened here by the context of the email.

Well done for taking action.

Bruce

On 16 Apr 2019, at 01:43, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I am placing a draft letter in our shared nextcloud folder, we will fill in correct details as they are made available.

After some discussion with Michael we would like to ask the entire board to sign the second page.
--
Jody Garnett