fileGDB support in FDO OGR 3.8 32-bit (and 64-bit)

fileGDB support in FDO OGR 3.8 32-bit (and 64-bit)

Matthew N
I'm testing with Autodesk Map 3D 2014 32-bit.
I added the OSGEO core FDO files as well as OGR provider v3.8.
I added ogr files from Osgeo4W including gdal19.dll (v1.9.2), filegdbapi.dll, ogr_filegdb.dll.
Ogrinfo tests successfully with FileGDB.
Map 3D FDO OGR provider works with SHP and Esri PGDB (mdb file).
Map 3D FDO OGR provider fails with FileGBD data. "Failed to open fdo connection.  Connect failed:"

Does FDO OGR provider need to be written to specifically support FileGDB?
Any thought or insights would be helpfull.

Re: fileGDB support in FDO OGR 3.8 32-bit (and 64-bit)

Traian Stanev

Hello,

If ogrinfo works fine for that data source, then the FDO provider should also theoretically work. The fact that it fails indicates that it either does not find all the necessary gdal/ogr dlls, or there is some bug in the provider that is specific to FileGDB – I have not heard of anyone else using FileGDB with the provider so far, so it’s possible that such a bug exists. You can create a bug report and attach a test file.

Traian

test_fgdb.gdb.zip (135K) Download Attachment

Re: fileGDB support in FDO OGR 3.8 32-bit (and 64-bit)

gisbradokla
there is a limitation on the fgdb version in the api.
unless it has changed recently it is only supported on 10.0 fgdb.

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 9:23 AM, Matthew N <[hidden email]> wrote:

> test data attached
>

> On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 5:40 PM, Traian Stanev <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>

>> Hello,
>>

>> If ogrinfo works fine for that data source, then the FDO provider should
>> also theoretically work. The fact that it fails indicates that it either
>> does not find all the necessary gdal/ogr dlls, or there is some bug in the
>> provider that is specific to FileGDB - I have not heard of anyone else using
>> FileGDB with the provider so far, so it's possible that such a bug exists.
>> You can create a bug report and attach a test file.
>>

>> Traian

"I have a map of the United States... Actual size. It says, 'Scale: 1
mile = 1 mile.' I spent last summer folding it. I hardly ever unroll
it. People ask me where I live, and I say, 'E6."
-- Steven Wright

Re: fileGDB support in FDO OGR 3.8 32-bit (and 64-bit)

h.klandermans
Hello,

As for 64-bit OGR-provider (tested on AutoCAD Map 3D 2013): it works
fine for pGDB (.mdb) but also has similar problems with fGDB (.gdb).
Simple work around, though not satisfactory of course, is to ask
suppliers to transfer data (e.g. using ESRI's distributed
geodatabase-command) to pGDB.

H.D. (Heddo) Klandermans
Senior Consultant

Hawar Information Technology bv
Oude Koemarkt 59b, 8601EJ Sneek
Tel.: +31 515 570333
Mob.: +31 6 15373947
E-mail: [hidden email]

Op 2-5-2013 19:59, Brad Nesom schreef:

> there is a limitation on the fgdb version in the api.
> unless it has changed recently it is only supported on 10.0 fgdb.
>
> On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 9:23 AM, Matthew N <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> test data attached
>>

>> On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 5:40 PM, Traian Stanev <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>

>>> Hello,
>>>

>>> If ogrinfo works fine for that data source, then the FDO provider should
>>> also theoretically work. The fact that it fails indicates that it either
>>> does not find all the necessary gdal/ogr dlls, or there is some bug in the
>>> provider that is specific to FileGDB - I have not heard of anyone else using
>>> FileGDB with the provider so far, so it's possible that such a bug exists.
>>> You can create a bug report and attach a test file.
>>>

>>> Traian

The workaround is to use ogr2ogr or Quantum GIS to convert the fileGDB data to Shp/sdf/sqlite.  It works in both 32bit and 64bit Windows.

On 2013-05-03 5:01 AM, "Heddo Klandermans" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

As for 64-bit OGR-provider (tested on AutoCAD Map 3D 2013): it works fine for pGDB (.mdb) but also has similar problems with fGDB (.gdb).
Simple work around, though not satisfactory of course, is to ask suppliers to transfer data (e.g. using ESRI's distributed geodatabase-command) to pGDB.

H.D. (Heddo) Klandermans
Senior Consultant
 Hawar Information Technology bv
Oude Koemarkt 59b, 8601EJ Sneek
Tel.: <a href="tel:%2B31%20515%20570333" value="+31515570333" target="_blank">+31 515 570333
Mob.: <a href="tel:%2B31%206%2015373947" value="+31615373947" target="_blank">+31 6 15373947