failed to add WMS layer

mafeca
Hi, everyone. I have a problem
When adding a WMS layer, I get this error:
Capabilities could not be downloaded: Capabilities download failed: Connection closed.
It used to work.
Thanks in advance

Re: failed to add WMS layer

Alessandro Pasotti-2

On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 12:34 PM Manuel Fernandez <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi, everyone. I have a problem
When adding a WMS layer, I get this error:
Capabilities could not be downloaded: Capabilities download failed: Connection closed.
It used to work.

Can you provide the WMS address?

BTW, I've recently hit a similar issues and it ended up being an upstream QT issue: https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-76821

Thanks in advance

Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it

Re: failed to add WMS layer

Stewart Holt
I use USGS WMS and WMTS layers. At some point in the recent past the WMS layers stopped working. I am almost sure they have worked in QGIS V3. I usually use WMTS because of the speed, but for final publishing, I have seen some cases where a corresponding WMS layer is higher definition, so I would like to be able to use it. Also the long timeout while starting the project is unfortunate and I don't want to delete the WMS layer. Here is a WMS layer which fails:

And a corresponding WMTS layer which works:

On the failing WMS layer, I have removed it and added it back. When I test it I get a message saying that a get capabilities request has failed. I hope someone who might be able to figure out what is going on can give this URL a try.

Thanks,

Stewart

On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 12:20 PM Alessandro Pasotti <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 12:34 PM Manuel Fernandez <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi, everyone. I have a problem
When adding a WMS layer, I get this error:
Capabilities could not be downloaded: Capabilities download failed: Connection closed.
It used to work.

Can you provide the WMS address?

BTW, I've recently hit a similar issues and it ended up being an upstream QT issue: https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-76821

Thanks in advance

Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it

Re: failed to add WMS layer

Andrea Peri
Have you the cache to zero size?
I discovered this kind of strangenissue some weeks ago

If the qgis cache size is turn to zero the capabilities fail when go to add the map to the Canvas.
This issue is on only with some wms (mapserver, geoserver) do not with qgisserver.

I dont know with arcgis rest services.

A.

Il gio 1 ago 2019, 20:08 Stewart Holt <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
[...]

Richard Duivenvoorde
On 01/08/2019 21.35, Andrea Peri wrote:
> Have you the cache to zero size?
> I discovered this kind of strangenissue some weeks ago
>
> If the qgis cache size is turn to zero the capabilities fail when go to
> add the map to the Canvas.
> This issue is on only with some wms (mapserver, geoserver) do not with
> qgisserver.
>
> I dont know with arcgis rest services.

Hi Andrea,

Can you provide a situation I can reproduce (OS, QGS version, service,
how you load the caps etc) ? Because this would be a proper issue!

But I cannot reproduce it with 3.4, 3.8 or master that I have running
here on Debian.

So if you have a good reproducable case, it sounds like it should be fixed.

Thanks,

Richard Duivenvoorde

Re: failed to add WMS layer

Andrea Peri
Are trying to Connect to qgis server?
I see the qgis dont have any issues to connect to qgis server.

Instead trying to connect to a  wms mapserver or to a wms geoserver.
I see the issue.

To reply
Cache setting size yo zero in
Qgis and try to add a map wms to canvas from a mapserver or geoserver

Please note that
The issue is when click on add to canvas not when connect to retrieve the list of layers.

I have this issue on qgis 3.8.0 for windows 64 bit.

A.

On 02/08/2019 12.26, Andrea Peri wrote:

> Are trying to Connect to qgis server?
> I see the qgis dont have any issues to connect to qgis server.
>
> Instead trying to connect to a  wms mapserver or to a wms geoserver.
> I see the issue.
>
> To reply
> Cache setting size yo zero in
> Qgis and try to add a map wms to canvas from a mapserver or geoserver
>
> Please note that
> The issue is when click on add to canvas not when connect to retrieve
> the list of layers.

So it is not the capabilities request that is failing?
I just tried to reproduce this both on Linux and Windows, setting the
cache  to 0 and connect to a geoserver instance, and all goes well.
Both capabilities and getmap requests.

Can you maybe install the 'QGIS Network Logger' plugin? And see what
requests QGIS is firing to the server?
And maybe try to replay those requests in a browsers?

Others can reproduce this?

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

Re: failed to add WMS layer

Andrea Peri
Hi,

I know the network plugin. It help me to understand this bug.

The bug is due to the wms provider that when you click on "add to map" button try to read from the cache the capability info.

If te cache is to zero , in old qgis 2.18 the wms provider do another request getcapabilities to the wms server to have it.
Instead in the qgis 3, if the cache if to zero, the request is not saved and the read for add to map fail.

I notice this happen with mapserver and geosevrver, instead with qgis-server don'.

The only explanation I can do is that for qgis-server it used a differente code for provider wms.

A.

On Fri, Aug 2, 2019 at 2:31 PM Andrea Peri <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I know the network plugin. It help me to understand this bug.

The bug is due to the wms provider that when you click on "add to map" button try to read from the cache the capability info.

If te cache is to zero , in old qgis 2.18 the wms provider do another request getcapabilities to the wms server to have it.
Instead in the qgis 3, if the cache if to zero, the request is not saved and the read for add to map fail.

I notice this happen with mapserver and geosevrver, instead with qgis-server don'.

The only explanation I can do is that for qgis-server it used a differente code for provider wms.

Which is not the case.

--
Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it

Re: failed to add WMS layer

Bo Victor Thomsen

Stewart..

It's the wms server that doesn't work. It has (probably) nothing to to with QGIS. I've tried the activate the wms address directly in a Firefox browser and it does not return a getcapabilities document (it doesn't return anything) .

The wmts adress works though.

Both the WMS and the WMTS addresses are correct according to this http page: https://basemap.nationalmap.gov/arcgis/rest/services/USGSTopo/MapServer

So I conclude, the USGS has a server/network problem. Since others on the list can get a list of layers using the same http address with QGIS it's probably a routing problem in the internal network of USGS.

Regards

Bo Victor Thomsen
AestasGIS, Denmark

Den 01-08-2019 kl. 20:08 skrev Stewart Holt:
[...]

Med venlig hilsen / Kind regards

Bo Victor Thomsen

Re: failed to add WMS layer

Richard Duivenvoorde
On 02/08/2019 14.30, Andrea Peri wrote:
> The bug is due to the wms provider that when you click on "add to map"
> button try to read from the cache the capability info.
>
> If te cache is to zero , in old qgis 2.18 the wms provider do another
> request getcapabilities to the wms server to have it.
> Instead in the qgis 3, if the cache if to zero, the request is not saved
> and the read for add to map fail.

Ok, NOW I can reproduce it :-)
Found another service which had this.
But only on Windows (several QGIS versions).

Created an issue:
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/31056

Thanks for letting us know.

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

Re: failed to add WMS layer

Andrea Peri
Great.

However for me is also curious why in my tests this not happened when the wms was qgis server
:)
A.