failed compile on FreeBSD

Michael Harnois
libgeotiff 1.2.5 won't compile on my FreeBSD amd64 system (the prior
version did). Whether using the port or building from CVS, the error
is the same:

In file included from listgeo.c:12:
../geo_simpletags.h:38: error: expected ')' before '*' token
listgeo.c: In function 'main':
listgeo.c:92: warning: implicit declaration of function
'GTIFNewSimpleTags'
listgeo.c:92: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a
cast

Ideas? Thanks.

Re: failed compile on FreeBSD

Frank Warmerdam
Michael Harnois wrote:

> libgeotiff 1.2.5 won't compile on my FreeBSD amd64 system (the prior
> version did). Whether using the port or building from CVS, the error is
> the same:
>
> In file included from listgeo.c:12:
> ../geo_simpletags.h:38: error: expected ')' before '*' token
> listgeo.c: In function 'main':
> listgeo.c:92: warning: implicit declaration of function 'GTIFNewSimpleTags'
> listgeo.c:92: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
>
> Ideas? Thanks.

Michael,

I looked into this, and couldn't see any obvious reason things would fail.
Possibly old libgeotiff headers are being picked up at compile time somehow?

What version of gcc are you using?  I'm using 4.1.3 without even any warnings
on the above files.

I'm keen to get this fixed in CVS, so let me know if you find a solution.  If
you can offer a temporary ssh logic I'd be willing to try and build it myself
on your system and work through the issue.

Re: failed compile on FreeBSD

Mateusz Loskot
Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> Michael Harnois wrote:
>> libgeotiff 1.2.5 won't compile on my FreeBSD amd64 system (the prior
>> version did). Whether using the port or building from CVS, the error
>> is the same:
>>
>> In file included from listgeo.c:12:
>> ../geo_simpletags.h:38: error: expected ')' before '*' token
>> listgeo.c: In function 'main':
>> listgeo.c:92: warning: implicit declaration of function
>> 'GTIFNewSimpleTags'
>> listgeo.c:92: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a
>> cast
>>
>> Ideas? Thanks.
>
> Michael,
>
> I looked into this, and couldn't see any obvious reason things would fail.
> Possibly old libgeotiff headers are being picked up at compile time
> somehow?
>
> What version of gcc are you using?  I'm using 4.1.3 without even any
> warnings on the above files.

Frank,

I can also confirm libgeotiff 1.2.5 builds with GCC 4.3.1 under Debian
Linux. However, I get 3 warnings about breaking strict-aliasing
rules in:

geo_new.c:242
geo_write.c:135

and in geotiff_proj4.c:261 dfSemiMajor is reported as likely uninitialized.