f2f meeting follow up

12

f2f meeting follow up

jody.garnett
If anyone is in position to post meeting mins please do so, I think we are all in transit so this will be tricky :)

We have a number of items to report back to the community in: osgeo-eu and analysis/feedback on foss4g affordability.

In the AGM we had very firm instruction by the conference committee that any direction would be needed (by Monday?) to inform the proposal process in 2019.
Jody Garnett

Re: f2f meeting follow up

Helena Mitasova-7
I looked at the RFP and I would like to suggest minor modification on p. 5-6 to explicitely request that OSGeo AGM is given 60-90 minute time slot in the program when no other sessions are planned.
I would also reword
“OSGeo Community events and activity"
"OSGeo Community events and activity at FOSS4G”
to make it clear to the bidders that these activities are part of the conference.
Boston did a great job accomodating OSGeo events but it will be easier for future organizers
to have clear idea about these as they prepare the program.

The number of attendees on p. 4 should also be updated.

I am not on conference committee so if there are no objections, Maria or Venka, can you please post this on conference list? As Jody has pointed out, the RFP for 2019 is supposed to go out next week.

Thank you

On Aug 20, 2017, at 8:20 PM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:

If anyone is in position to post meeting mins please do so, I think we are all in transit so this will be tricky :)

We have a number of items to report back to the community in: osgeo-eu and analysis/feedback on foss4g affordability.

In the AGM we had very firm instruction by the conference committee that any direction would be needed (by Monday?) to inform the proposal process in 2019.
Jody Garnett

Helena Mitasova
Professor at the Department of Marine,
Earth, and Atmospheric Sciences
and Center for Geospatial Analytics
North Carolina State University
Raleigh, NC 27695-8208

Re: f2f meeting follow up

jody.garnett
It is tricky because although we host foss4g, attending our AGM is of interest to a smaller portion of the attendees.

I don't have any good ideas:

- I seem to recall having the AGM in the evening, when people could go out or attend a BOF sessions. Would that be an okay approach?
- Alternatively we could try and have it prior to the conference we would need to be sure our officers could afford the extra nights accommodation.
- We could also consider doing it similar to f2f meeting after workshops.

I guess we could just outline we need an hour long meeting and see what suggestions are proposed.

On Sun, Aug 20, 2017 at 8:41 PM Helena Mitasova <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Venkatesh Raghavan
Helena and All,

I agree with Helena suggestion about independent/exclusive AGM session
as was the practice before 2017 and also to
re-phrasing "OSGeo Community events and activity at FOSS4G”.
Perhaps, "OSGeo Community events at FOSS4G” could suffice.

Can someone point me to the draft RFP for FOSS4G-2019.
I am unable to find it on OSGeo wiiki or find in on the
conference ML.

Thanks

Venka

On 2017/08/21 12:41, Helena Mitasova wrote:
[...]

[hidden email]
http://geospatial.ncsu.edu/osgeorel/publications.html <http://geospatial.ncsu.edu/osgeorel/publications.html>

Re: f2f meeting follow up

Helena Mitasova-7

In the past,  we have had it right before the conference, or before the closing. Evening would be good too.
The reason is not that much whether it is of the interest for others (perhaps it could be) but that the officers cannot present and charter members cannot be there if they also have talks at parallel sessions.
Other solution would be to provide LOC with names of all people who need to be at AGM so that they don’t schedule a talk for them at the same time. But I think we are making this a bigger deal than it should be -
the request for having a meeting is already there - then no change is needed.
You can ignore my previous email,

Helena

On Aug 20, 2017, at 11:57 PM, Venkatesh Raghavan <[hidden email]> wrote:

Helena and All,

I agree with Helena suggestion about independent/exclusive AGM session
as was the practice before 2017 and also to
re-phrasing "OSGeo Community events and activity at FOSS4G”.
Perhaps, "OSGeo Community events at FOSS4G” could suffice.

Can someone point me to the draft RFP for FOSS4G-2019.

it is not available yet - we were asked for comments, suggestions to previous RFPs before it is prepared,
that is what I was trying to do.

Helena

[...]

Massimiliano Cannata
Dear directors,
I would suggest to host the AGM at lunch time, having food for those who attend or having the AGM in the lunch room...

Maxi

Il 21 ago 2017 5:57 AM, "Venkatesh Raghavan" <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
[...]

Dear All,

On 2017/08/21 14:01, Massimiliano Cannata wrote:
> Dear directors,
> I would suggest to host the AGM at lunch time, having food for those who
> attend or having the AGM in the lunch room...

That would be possible, Not sure if we will be able to
have people focusing on the presentation which trying
to eat or finding their food.

We could also consider a late evening session or combining
ice-breaker and AGM together. Maybe people will be able
to focus with a glass of beer at hand!

I just went through the 2018 RFP and would like to bring
up the following points

a) Page 5 states "Labs should have computers ready, “bring your own”
causes time loss, because software has to be installed.".

The workshops at Boston were all BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) style [1] and
I guess that worked pretty well.

So, I think the statement regarding computer ready labs need to be changed

b) "Hosted (or Presented/Produced) by OSGeo" need to be mentioned in the
conference website.
This can be added at an appropriate section of the 2019 RFP.
OSGeo need not be listed as Sponsor (although it receives all the
benefits of sponsorship at
the highest level).

c) "Rest of the World" mentioned at several places in the 2018 RFP.
There were some good
suggestions about the terminology on the conference ML [2] and an
agreement to use "Other
Regions" instead of "Rest of the World"

d) Page 11 mentions "We hope to keep cost per participant under $650 USD
for the conference
plus workshops."
I am not aware of how the affordability discussion went on at f2f in
Boston. However a
more specific statement could be better for the 2019 RFP. e.g.
"We strongly recommend to keep the cost per participants under $XXX USD
(early bird) and
$YYY USD for the conference and workshops."

e) Page 12, mentions, "The conference committee will then propose the
location to the OSGeo Board,
who must formally approve of the decision.".

This could be re-phrased as   "The conference committee will then convey
its decision to the OSGeo Board
for its approval.".

Best

Venka

[1] http://2017.foss4g.org/workshops/.
[2]
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/conference_dev/2017-February/004308.html

> Maxi
>
> Il 21 ago 2017 5:57 AM, "Venkatesh Raghavan" <[hidden email]>
> ha scritto:
>
>> Helena and All,
>>
>> I agree with Helena suggestion about independent/exclusive AGM session
>> as was the practice before 2017 and also to
>> re-phrasing "OSGeo Community events and activity at FOSS4G”.
>> Perhaps, "OSGeo Community events at FOSS4G” could suffice.
>>
>> Can someone point me to the draft RFP for FOSS4G-2019.
>> I am unable to find it on OSGeo wiiki or find in on the
>> conference ML.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Venka
>>
>> On 2017/08/21 12:41, Helena Mitasova wrote:
>>
>> I looked at the RFP and I would like to suggest minor modification on p. 5-6 to explicitely request that OSGeo AGM is given 60-90 minute time slot in the program when no other sessions are planned.
>> I would also reword
>> “OSGeo Community events and activity"
>> "OSGeo Community events and activity at FOSS4G”
>> to make it clear to the bidders that these activities are part of the conference.
>> Boston did a great job accomodating OSGeo events but it will be easier for future organizers
>> to have clear idea about these as they prepare the program.
>>
>> The number of attendees on p. 4 should also be updated.
>>
>> I am not on conference committee so if there are no objections, Maria or Venka, can you please post this on conference list? As Jody has pointed out, the RFP for 2019 is supposed to go out next week.
>>
>> Thank you
>>

>> On Aug 20, 2017, at 8:20 PM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> If anyone is in position to post meeting mins please do so, I think we are all in transit so this will be tricky :)
>>
>> We have a number of items to report back to the community in: osgeo-eu and analysis/feedback on foss4g affordability.
>>
>> In the AGM we had very firm instruction by the conference committee that any direction would be needed (by Monday?) to inform the proposal process in 2019.
>> --
>> --
>> Jody Garnett
>>

>> Helena Mitasova
>> Professor at the Department of Marine,
>> Earth, and Atmospheric Sciences
>> and Center for Geospatial Analytics
>> North Carolina State University
>> Raleigh, NC [hidden email]://geospatial.ncsu.edu/osgeorel/publications.html <http://geospatial.ncsu.edu/osgeorel/publications.html> <http://geospatial.ncsu.edu/osgeorel/publications.html>
>>
>> "All electronic mail messages in connection with State business which are sent to or received by this account are subject to the NC Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties.”

Re: f2f meeting follow up

jody.garnett
I saw this thread get into the details of the RFP - for that we have volunteers on the conference committee. My goal as a board member is to work on strategy, as the conference committee knows best about the RFP wording and process.

Q: Based on the affordability report, and resulting discussion, did we as the board have any direction to ask the conference committee to steer in?

My own feedback:

1) I was pleasantly surprised that the ticket cost of foss4g has not changed significantly over the course of the events (indeed our most expensive event was Sydney and our cheapest Korea).

I do not see any guidance to provide here (this was surprising to me).

2) Attendance continues to increase limiting appropriate venues

I do not see any guidence to provide here, our community and event is growing. I think once we get around 3000 people we may be forced to settle down to consider a fixed location, but at 1000-2000 we can still move it around.

3) regional events are killing it

I do not see any guidence to provide here, our community and events is growing.
The hope is this takes some of the strain from the global event, allowing it to focus on outreach and advocacy more.

4) hard for students to attend (also journal, etc...)

There was a strong hope that travel grant program could help out a lot here, that would make me sad as this was intended to work towards diversity.

While there may be guidance here I am not close enough to the academic world to provide useful direction.

5) diversity

The original intention of the travel grant was to bring diversity awareness to our osgeo events (to apply regional events are asked to set a diversity target which travel grant can help towards). During foss4g I attended a diversity presentation that advocated creating a safe space.

Guidance: Trial the use of providing a safe space in the 2018 bid.

Similar recommendations online include:
- make female speakers a priority (not just in selection, but before hand in promotion, one-on-one mentoring etc...).
- providing child care (this helps families attend)

Since these haver not been advocated by members of our community I am only comfortable providing guidance on providing a safe space. Perhaps some of these ideas can be tried out at regional conferences first.

6) time of year

The events have moved from September/October to August placing it in the way of European holidays. With the bulk of our contributors in Europe this has affected how many of our contributors can attend.

Guidance: Request September / October event (to maximize contributors who can attend).

I understand next years event has plans to turn this into a holiday for families which is a cunning plan.

7) travel / accommodation

I would like to avoid prime tourist season to avoid asking attendees pay high airfair and accommodation costs. We did not have the number in the affordability report to back this up (but Michael Smith was going to look things up).

Guidance: Request September / October event (to avoid peak tourist season).

--
Jody Garnett

On 20 August 2017 at 20:20, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
If anyone is in position to post meeting mins please do so, I think we are all in transit so this will be tricky :)

We have a number of items to report back to the community in: osgeo-eu and analysis/feedback on foss4g affordability.

In the AGM we had very firm instruction by the conference committee that any direction would be needed (by Monday?) to inform the proposal process in 2019.
Jody Garnett

Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: f2f meeting follow up

Smith, Michael ERDC-RDE-CRREL-NH
This is on my list to do this week. I was going to get a list of FOSS4G locations and the US State Dept per diem values as an index to costs at each location. I'll convert it all to 2017 dollars. Note that this will be an index, not exact costs.

Mike

Michael Smith
OSGeo Foundation Treasurer

[...]

On reflection I am a bit uncomfortable offering guidance here - lacking the needed perspective. I would ask that the conference committee consider diversity as a selection criteria, but would hold off on providing specific advice listed above. I recognize that the board as a whole is a diverse body and may be in position to offer guidance.

I just don't think it is my place either as a board member (need to trust the marketing committee) or as a white male (can offer only concern, not perspective).

Aside: This whole discussion has increased my respect for the conference committee, this is tough stuff. I thank those who contribute positively as part of the conference committee.

Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: f2f meeting follow up

Michael Smith
This is what I came up with:

I also included the range for each conference based on the listed accommodations from the conference sites. Some of the years didn't have a conference hotel or a low cost option. I think this is something that should go into the RFP, that a range needs to be made available for the conference and listed on the web site. Having listed hostels or university dorm accommodations  I think goes a long way. We don't need to be making the conference overall cheaper, we need to increase the range of options available to the conference goers (IMHO).

Mike

----
Michael Smith
OSGeo Foundation Treasurer

Re: [FOSS4G-2019 RFP] Re: f2f meeting follow up

Venkatesh Raghavan
Hi Mike,

Thanks for summarizing the range of listed accommodations
at FOSS4G-Conferences.

I agree that increasing the range of options available to
be a very helpful for conference goers. Perhaps, this
could be mentioned in the FOSS4G-2019 RFP.

I am also forwarding this mail to the conference committee ML.
Changed the subject of the mail.

Best

Venka

On 2017/08/22 10:15, Michael Smith wrote:
This is what I came up with:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vuzmHAxO-JInB7WGIm8S5C4ca1ezoaKigDN8
vWDu3hs/edit?usp=sharing

I also included the range for each conference based on the listed
accommodations from the conference sites. Some of the years didn't have a
conference hotel or a low cost option. I think this is something that should
go into the RFP, that a range needs to be made available for the conference
and listed on the web site. Having listed hostels or university dorm
accommodations  I think goes a long way. We don't need to be making the
conference overall cheaper, we need to increase the range of options
available to the conference goers (IMHO).

Mike

----
Michael Smith
OSGeo Foundation Treasurer
[hidden email]

Re: [FOSS4G-2019 RFP] Re: f2f meeting follow up

Michael Terner
This is obviously an important thread. The Boston Team will look forward to watching it further develop on the Conference Dev list and look forward to sharing our experiences and perspectives. Indeed we dealt deeply with costs, diversity, workshop equipment, date of conference as well as other topics not on this list such as AV and videotaping. I have attached a PDF of the briefing that we gave to the Board during the F2F which touches on some of our thoughts/findings as we headed into the conference on Monday evening. And indeed, we will also develop and share an after-action report with our biggest lessons learned after now having run the conference.

On the AGM, we agree that scheduling it to not run alongside the regular program makes sense. And, in hindsight, I think we would have followed Maxi's suggestion and provided a room for the AGM during one of the 90 minute lunch break that were provided on Weds, or Thurs. It is not realistic to have the AGM run as the only session during the program (you would give up too many speaking slots as in our case we ran 11 rooms concurrently), but there should be time during lunch, or before, or after the main sessions on one of the three days.

Sincerely,

MT

From: Board [hidden email] on behalf of Jody Garnett
[hidden email]
Date: Monday, August 21, 2017 at 2:23 PM
To: [hidden email] [hidden email]

[...]

Executive Vice President
617-447-2468 Direct | 617-447-2400 Main
Applied Geographics, Inc.
24 School Street, Suite 500
Boston, MA 02108

www.AppGeo.com

This e-mail message and any attachments may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient or otherwise authorized to receive this message, you should not use, copy, distribute, disclose or take any action based on the information contained in this e-mail or any attachments. If you have received this message and material in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank you on behalf of Applied Geographics, Inc. (AppGeo).

OSGeo Board Briefing.pdf (924K) Download Attachment

Re: [FOSS4G-2019 RFP] Re: f2f meeting follow up

jody.garnett
Thanks Michael:

The combination of the brief, and the extensive research on past events, made me much more comfortable on this topic.
I hope we can share this information with our membership to address any concerns raised and further discussion.

--
Jody Garnett

On 22 August 2017 at 05:47, Michael Terner <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Meeting mins are now available: https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Face_to_Face_Meeting_Boston_2017

The board has the following actions identified:

  • Action: Aex talk to jeffrey johnson and provide feedback by the end of the weekend on what is needed to host the website
  • Action: Jody talk to Jeffrey Johnson to explore out what cloud hosting would cost
  • Action: Michael to ask Jeff McKenna to present project status report Friday 4:30 pm
  • Action: Michael to invite Norman Vine as needed to identify meaningful areas for OSGeo and LocationTech to collaborate
  • Action Venka: Ask Franz to ask in public on the board email list?
  • Action Helena: Ask Charlie if foss4g Bonn publication accept a few more papers?
  • Action: Michael to provide pre diem costs to attend accommodation+food in each city
  • Action: Vasile to finish report, and publish on website after review by conference committee and osgeo board.
  • Action: Vasilie to take action to take time offset idea to the conference committee
  • Action: Jody to talk to David Bitner from the foss4g-na committee about time-offset idea

--
Jody Garnett

On 20 August 2017 at 17:20, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
If anyone is in position to post meeting mins please do so, I think we are all in transit so this will be tricky :)

We have a number of items to report back to the community in: osgeo-eu and analysis/feedback on foss4g affordability.

In the AGM we had very firm instruction by the conference committee that any direction would be needed (by Monday?) to inform the proposal process in 2019.
Jody Garnett

Re: f2f meeting follow up

Suchith Anand
Thanks to all Board for approving the MoUs with IGU and GSDI. These expanding collaborations are key for our long term aims.

Best wishes,

Suchith

On 20 August 2017 at 17:20, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
If anyone is in position to post meeting mins please do so, I think we are all in transit so this will be tricky :)

We have a number of items to report back to the community in: osgeo-eu and analysis/feedback on foss4g affordability.

In the AGM we had very firm instruction by the conference committee that any direction would be needed (by Monday?) to inform the proposal process in 2019.
Jody Garnett

University of Nottingham.

permitted by UK legislation.

12