extract wind steams from raster

teeschke
This post was updated on .
Hi list,

I am totally excited about the wind visualizations of Wind Map* and Earth Wind**. So I'm now trying to extract these kind of vectors from meteorological GFS files (grib), which has set the wind parameters angle and speed per cell.

I tried to work with r.to.vect, but this seems to be not the best starting point, because the stream vectors must be calculated before. Right? Could you please give me any hints to extract some kind of wind stream vectors?

Thank you very much and best regards,
teeschke

*http://hint.fm/wind/
** http://earth.nullschool.net/

Re: extract wind steams from raster

wenzeslaus

On Sat, Sep 27, 2014 at 8:28 AM, teeschke <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi list,

I am totally excitedabout the vector visualizations of Wind Map* and Earth
Wind**. So I'm now trying to extract this kind of vector from meteorological
grib files, which has set the wind parameters angle and speed per cell.

Hi, I was also excited.

I tried to work with r.to.vect, but this seems to be not the best starting
point, because the stream vectors must be calculated before. Right? Could
you please give me any hints to extract some kind of wind stream vectors?

Let me know what do you think. There is not much documentation but it should be pretty clear, although it is quite sensitive to sizes, so you must be careful in setting region right.

Vaclav