error when trying to upgrade geoserver - epsg database

error when trying to upgrade geoserver - epsg database

scottpez
Hi,

I am trying to upgrade from Geoserver  v1.2.4 to v1.3.0-RC6. I am getting the following error in the Catalina log file:

org.opengis.referencing.FactoryException: Failed to connect to the EPSG database
    at org.geotools.referencing.factory.epsg.DefaultFactory.createBackingStore(DefaultFactory.java:316)
    at org.geotools.referencing.factory.DeferredAuthorityFactory.getBackingStore(DeferredAuthorityFactory.java:127)
    at org.geotools.referencing.factory.BufferedAuthorityFactory.isReady(BufferedAuthorityFactory.java:194)
    at org.geotools.referencing.factory.DeferredAuthorityFactory.isReady(DeferredAuthorityFactory.java:115)
    at org.geotools.factory.FactoryRegistry$1.filter(FactoryRegistry.java:81)
    at javax.imageio.spi.FilterIterator.advance(Unknown Source)
    at javax.imageio.spi.FilterIterator.next(Unknown Source)
    at org.geotools.resources.LazySet.addNext(LazySet.java:72)
    at org.geotools.resources.LazySet.get(LazySet.java:121)
    at org.geotools.resources.LazySet$Iter.next(LazySet.java:140)
    at org.geotools.referencing.CRS.decode(CRS.java:218)

Does anyone know how I can get rid of this error? The method I am using to upgrade is unpacking the new war file and then copying the catalog.xml file and the data folder from my old install to the new one. Is there a better way to upgrade?

Thank you,
Scott

Scott Pezanowski

email: [hidden email]

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.Net email is sponsored by the JBoss Inc. Get Certified Today Register for a JBoss Training Course. Free Certification Exam for All Training Attendees Through End of 2005. For more info visit: http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=7628&alloc_id=16845&op=click _______________________________________________ Geoserver-users mailing list [hidden email] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/geoserver-users

Re: error when trying to upgrade geoserver - epsg database

Brent Owens
Hi Scott,

What were you doing when this error occured?
My only thought is that there is something in the data directory that is
required, but didn't get copied over when you upgraded.

Have you tried installing 1.3.0-RC6 to its own directory, and seeing if
you get the same error?

Brent Owens
TOPP

Scott Pezanowski wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to upgrade from Geoserver  v1.2.4 to v1.3.0-RC6. I am
> getting the following error in the Catalina log file:
>
> org.opengis.referencing.FactoryException: Failed to connect to the
> EPSG database
>     at
> org.geotools.referencing.factory.epsg.DefaultFactory.createBackingStore(DefaultFactory.java:316)
>     at
> org.geotools.referencing.factory.DeferredAuthorityFactory.getBackingStore(DeferredAuthorityFactory.java:127)
>     at
> org.geotools.referencing.factory.BufferedAuthorityFactory.isReady(BufferedAuthorityFactory.java:194)
>     at
> org.geotools.referencing.factory.DeferredAuthorityFactory.isReady(DeferredAuthorityFactory.java:115)
>     at
> org.geotools.factory.FactoryRegistry$1.filter(FactoryRegistry.java:81)
>     at javax.imageio.spi.FilterIterator.advance(Unknown Source)
>     at javax.imageio.spi.FilterIterator.next(Unknown Source)
>     at org.geotools.resources.LazySet.addNext(LazySet.java:72)
>     at org.geotools.resources.LazySet.get(LazySet.java:121)
>     at org.geotools.resources.LazySet$Iter.next(LazySet.java:140)
>     at org.geotools.referencing.CRS.decode(CRS.java:218)
>
> Does anyone know how I can get rid of this error? The method I am
> using to upgrade is unpacking the new war file and then copying the
> catalog.xml file and the data folder from my old install to the new
> one. Is there a better way to upgrade?
>
> Thank you,
> Scott

> Scott Pezanowski
>

> email: [hidden email]

Re: error when trying to upgrade geoserver - epsg database

scottpez
Brent,

Thank you for your reply. I get this error when starting Tomcat. It appears in the Catalina log file. The error seems to do something to Tomcat because I can not access any of my other sites as well as geoserver. I simply get an Apache error in the web browser. The error seems to be saying that it can not find the EPSG database however I am not sure why it needs this database when I upgrade but not when I do a fresh install. If I installed the EPSG database would this solve the problem. Which one should I install? Or am I on the wrong track? When I simply do a fresh install of 1.3.0-RC6 I do not get this error. It only occurs when I copy over the catalog.xml file and the data folder. I apologize for before I did not paste in the entire error message. Below is the entire error message plus some. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

Nov 18, 2005 2:17:50 PM org.geotools.data.postgis.PostgisDataStore getGeometryAttribute
FINE: geometry sql statement is SELECT type FROM GEOMETRY_COLUMNS WHERE f_table_name='pa_colr2240' AND f_geometry_column='the_geom';
Nov 18, 2005 2:17:50 PM org.geotools.data.postgis.PostgisDataStore getGeometryAttribute
FINE: geometry type is: MULTIPOLYGON
Nov 18, 2005 2:17:50 PM org.geotools.data.jdbc.ConnectionPool getConnection
FINE: Getting available connection.
Nov 18, 2005 2:17:50 PM org.geotools.data.jdbc.ConnectionPool$ConnectionListManager connectionClosed
FINE: Connection closed - adding to available connections.
Nov 18, 2005 2:17:50 PM org.geotools.data.jdbc.ConnectionPool getConnection
FINE: Getting available connection.
Nov 18, 2005 2:17:50 PM DefaultFactory isReady
FINE: Unavailable factory: European Petroleum Survey Group
[...]
    at org.geotools.data.postgis.referencing.PostgisAuthorityFactory.createFromAuthority(PostgisAuthorityFactory.java:103)
    at org.geotools.data.postgis.referencing.PostgisAuthorityFactory.createCRS(PostgisAuthorityFactory.java:60)
    at org.geotools.data.postgis.PostgisDataStore.getGeometryAttribute(PostgisDataStore.java:947)
    at org.geotools.data.postgis.PostgisDataStore.buildAttributeType(PostgisDataStore.java:878)
    at org.geotools.data.jdbc.JDBC1DataStore.buildSchema(JDBC1DataStore.java:1150)
    at org.geotools.data.postgis.PostgisDataStore.buildSchema(PostgisDataStore.java:593)
    at org.geotools.data.jdbc.FeatureTypeHandler.getFeatureTypeInfo(FeatureTypeHandler.java:200)
    at org.geotools.data.jdbc.FeatureTypeHandler.getSchema(FeatureTypeHandler.java:168)
    at org.geotools.data.jdbc.JDBC1DataStore.getSchema(JDBC1DataStore.java:388)
    at org.vfny.geoserver.global.Data.loadFeatureTypes(Data.java:345)
    at org.vfny.geoserver.global.Data.load(Data.java:154)
    at org.vfny.geoserver.global.GeoServerPlugIn.init(GeoServerPlugIn.java:109)
    at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.initModulePlugIns(ActionServlet.java:1158)
    at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.init(ActionServlet.java:473)
    at javax.servlet.GenericServlet.init(GenericServlet.java:211)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.java:1091)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.load(StandardWrapper.java:925)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.loadOnStartup(StandardContext.java:3880)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:4141)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1012)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:718)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1012)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:442)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:450)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:680)
    at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:536)
    at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:275)
    at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:413)
Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: No data source found.
    at org.geotools.referencing.factory.epsg.DefaultFactory.createFactory(DefaultFactory.java:264)
    at org.geotools.referencing.factory.epsg.DefaultFactory.createBackingStore(DefaultFactory.java:308)
    ... 42 more
Nov 18, 2005 2:17:50 PM org.geotools.data.jdbc.ConnectionPool$ConnectionListManager connectionClosed
FINE: Connection closed - adding to available connections.
Nov 18, 2005 2:17:51 PM org.geotools.data.jdbc.ConnectionPool$ConnectionListManager connectionClosed

From: Brent Owens
To: Scott Pezanowski
CC: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Geoserver-users] error when trying to upgrade geoserver - epsg database
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 14:12:04 -0800

Hi Scott,

Scott Pezanowski wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am trying to upgrade from Geoserver v1.2.4 to v1.3.0-RC6. I am
>getting the following error in the Catalina log file:
>
>org.opengis.referencing.FactoryException: Failed to connect to the
>EPSG database
> at
>org.geotools.referencing.factory.epsg.DefaultFactory.createBackingStore(DefaultFactory.java:316)
> at
>org.geotools.referencing.factory.DeferredAuthorityFactory.getBackingStore(DeferredAuthorityFactory.java:127)
> at
>org.geotools.referencing.factory.BufferedAuthorityFactory.isReady(BufferedAuthorityFactory.java:194)
> at
>org.geotools.referencing.factory.DeferredAuthorityFactory.isReady(DeferredAuthorityFactory.java:115)
> at
>org.geotools.factory.FactoryRegistry$1.filter(FactoryRegistry.java:81)
> at javax.imageio.spi.FilterIterator.advance(Unknown Source)
> at javax.imageio.spi.FilterIterator.next(Unknown Source)
> at org.geotools.resources.LazySet.addNext(LazySet.java:72)
> at org.geotools.resources.LazySet.get(LazySet.java:121)
> at org.geotools.resources.LazySet$Iter.next(LazySet.java:140)
> at org.geotools.referencing.CRS.decode(CRS.java:218)
>
>Does anyone know how I can get rid of this error? The method I am
>using to upgrade is unpacking the new war file and then copying the
>catalog.xml file and the data folder from my old install to the new
>one. Is there a better way to upgrade?
>
>Thank you,
>Scott

>Scott Pezanowski
>

>email: [hidden email]

Re: error when trying to upgrade geoserver - epsg database

Chris Holmes-2
The error seems a bit odd, since it seems to indicate it's not finding
the epsg database at all, as opposed to just failing on finding the
SRS.

So one of the key differences between 1.2 and 1.3 is we actually make
use of the value you fill out in your SRS.  For 1.2 that was just
blindly passed to the client, for 1.3 we look it up in the epsg
database (which we include as a jar I'm pretty sure).  So what's
causing problems is the SRS param of your datastores.  It may be that
one of them is using an SRS we don't have in the db.

But looking at the stack trace, it appears to not even find the
authority.  One idea, is your spatial reference system table in PostGIS
empty?  Like if you do a select * from spatial_ref_sys do you get no
results?  If that's the case populating it might help: 'psql -d
[yourdatabase] -f spatial_ref_sys.sql', and that sql file should  be
included with your postgis install, often in a contrib directory.  Let
us know if that's the case, since we should be able to handle things
better if it's just that the table isn't populated, since I believe we
do include the epsg database in some form for you.

Chris

Quoting Scott Pezanowski <[hidden email]>:

> [...]

> >     at javax.imageio.spi.FilterIterator.advance(Unknown Source)
> >     at
> javax.imageio.spi.FilterIterator.next(Unknown Source)
> >     at org.geotools.resources.LazySet.addNext(LazySet.java:72)
> >     at org.geotools.resources.LazySet.get(LazySet.java:121)
> >     at org.geotools.resources.LazySet$Iter.next(LazySet.java:140)
> >     at org.geotools.referencing.CRS.decode(CRS.java:218)
> >
> >Does anyone know how I can get rid of this error? The method I am
> >using to upgrade is unpacking the new war file and then copying the
> >catalog.xml file and the data folder from my old install to the new
> >one. Is there a better way to upgrade?
> >
> >Thank you,
> >Scott
> >

> >*********************************************
> >Scott Pezanowski
> >

> >email: [hidden email]

Re: error when trying to upgrade geoserver - epsg database

Chris,

The spatial reference system table is populated. I tried adding the epsg-hsql-2.2.x.jar file I had from my geotools build, to the lib directory of geoserver. Geoserver was then at least able to compile and run. However, when I go to the geoserver config screen I have the following errors:

atlas:colr0000
java.lang.AbstractMethodError: org.geotools.referencing.factory.epsg.HSQLDataSource.createFactory(Lorg/geotools/referencing/factory/FactoryGroup;)Lorg/geotools/referencing/factory/AbstractAuthorityFactory;

The SRS being used for the atlas:colr0000 table is 32128 which I believe is Pennsylvania North / UTM.

What epsg database is included with geoserver 1.3.0-RC6? Where would I find this? Do you have any other thoughts on what might be going on?

Thanks for your help,
Scott

From: Chris Holmes
To: Scott Pezanowski
CC: [hidden email], [hidden email]
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 08:04:13 -0500

> [...]

> > at
>
>org.geotools.referencing.factory.DeferredAuthorityFactory.isReady(DeferredAuthorityFactory.java:115)
> > at
>
>org.geotools.factory.FactoryRegistry$1.filter(FactoryRegistry.java:81)
> > at javax.imageio.spi.FilterIterator.advance(Unknown Source)
> > at
> javax.imageio.spi.FilterIterator.next(Unknown Source)
> > at org.geotools.resources.LazySet.addNext(LazySet.java:72)
> > at org.geotools.resources.LazySet.get(LazySet.java:121)
> > at org.geotools.resources.LazySet$Iter.next(LazySet.java:140)
> > at org.geotools.referencing.CRS.decode(CRS.java:218)
> >
> >Does anyone know how I can get rid of this error? The method I am
> >using to upgrade is unpacking the new war file and then copying the
> >catalog.xml file and the data folder from my old install to the new

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc. Do you grep through log files for problems? Stop! Download the new AJAX search engine that makes searching your log files as easy as surfing the web. DOWNLOAD SPLUNK! http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=7637&alloc_id=16865&op=click _______________________________________________ Geoserver-users mailing list [hidden email] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/geoserver-users

Re: error when trying to upgrade geoserver - epsg database

alexander-petkov
Hi Scott:

On 11/30/05, Scott Pezanowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
Chris,

The spatial reference system table is populated. I tried adding the epsg-hsql-2.2.x.jar file I had from my geotools build, to the lib directory of geoserver. Geoserver was then at least able to compile and run. However, when I go to the geoserver config screen I have the following errors:

atlas:colr0000
java.lang.AbstractMethodError: org.geotools.referencing.factory.epsg.HSQLDataSource.createFactory(Lorg/geotools/referencing/factory/FactoryGroup;)Lorg/geotools/referencing/factory/AbstractAuthorityFactory;

The SRS being used for the atlas:colr0000 table is 32128 which I believe is Pennsylvania North / UTM.

What epsg database is included with geoserver 1.3.0-RC6?

It is the HSQL version of the  EPSG database. I am not sure if you are asking this though.

Where would I find this? Do you have any other thoughts on what might be going on?

It dependes what OS and servlet container you are running at the moment. I can tell you  where it is on  Linux System:
1. '/tmp/Geotools/Databases/HSQL' if you are running Geoserver with the incl. jetty.

2. '$CATALINA_HOME/temp/Geotools/Databases/HSQL/' if you run Geoserver with Tomcat.

IIRC, the localtion of the database was somewhere in the "My Documents" folder for the user running Geoserver in Windows.

If the database does not exist, it is created for you upon starting uo Geoserver. So if something in it is wrong and cannot be parsed, you can delete it and then restart Geoserver.

Alex

Re: error when trying to upgrade geoserver - epsg database

scottpez
Chris, Alex and Brent,

I found out my biggest problem with the new geoserver install was that I wasn't waiting long enough before I hit it after starting Tomcat. I was also getting OutOfMemory errors. I increased the amount of memory for Java and things seem to be better. It has at least sort of solved my problem of geoserver not compiling and all of my other sites being down as well. After I increased the memory, started Tomcat and waited a while (I'll test more to see how long this is), the geoserver admin was able to compile and run.

We had a similar problem on our old server where it would take Tomcat a long time to start up (15-20 minutes). I assumed this was because our old server was archaic however now were running into a similar problem with the new server. Has anyone else run into this problem where starting Tomcat takes a long time when Geoserver is installed with a lot of data?

I'm not exactly sure why I was getting those errors before regarding the EPSG database but I do not seem to be getting these errors anymore.

Thanks,
Scott
From: Alexander Petkov
To: Scott Pezanowski
CC: [hidden email], [hidden email],[hidden email]
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 09:14:31 -0700

Hi Scott:

Alex
------------------------------------------------------- This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc. Do you grep through log files for problems? Stop! Download the new AJAX search engine that makes searching your log files as easy as surfing the web. DOWNLOAD SPLUNK! http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=7637&alloc_id=16865&op=click _______________________________________________ Geoserver-users mailing list [hidden email] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/geoserver-users

Re: error when trying to upgrade geoserver - epsg database

Brent Owens
Hi Scott,

My tomcat (5.0) only takes 3 seconds to start up, even with a fair
amount of data. GoeServer doesn't do anything with the data unless you
ask it to, such as query the whole dataset. Even then it is conservative
with memory.

How large is your dataset?

Brent Owens
TOPP

Scott Pezanowski wrote:

> [...]
>

>     It dependes what OS and servlet container you are running at the
>     moment. I
>     can tell you where it is on Linux System:
>     1. '/tmp/Geotools/Databases/HSQL' if you are running Geoserver
>     with the
>     incl. jetty.
>
>     2. '$CATALINA_HOME/temp/Geotools/Databases/HSQL/' if you run
>     Geoserver with
>     Tomcat.
>
>     IIRC, the localtion of the database was somewhere in the "My
>     Documents"
>     folder for the user running Geoserver in Windows.
>
>     If the database does not exist, it is created for you upon starting uo
>     Geoserver. So if something in it is wrong and cannot be parsed,
>     you can
>     delete it and then restart Geoserver.
>
>     Alex

Re: error when trying to upgrade geoserver - epsg database

Alex, Justin, and Martin,

Sorry but I noticed this email from before when I was trying to figure this out. As you mentioned Alex, I went to '$CATALINA_HOME/temp/Geotools/Databases/HSQL/' and there is nothing in this folder. The folder was created however it is empty. Do you know what this may mean?

Thanks,
Scott

From: Alexander Petkov
To: Scott Pezanowski
CC: [hidden email], [hidden email],[hidden email]
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 09:14:31 -0700

Hi Scott:

Alex

On 1/11/06, Scott Pezanowski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Alex, Justin, and Martin,
>
> Sorry but I noticed this email from before when I was trying to figure this
> out. As you mentioned Alex, I went to
> '$CATALINA_HOME/temp/Geotools/Databases/HSQL/' and there is
> nothing in this folder. The folder was created however it is empty. Do you
> know what this may mean?
>
> Thanks,
> Scott

Scott, are you using the main branch?

I think I am wrong in my previous post that Geoserver uses an HSQL
database for storing projection data. Well, at least the WCS branch
does, and that is what I use.

Over the last few days has become apparent that the main branch still
uses the epsg.properties file.  You can check the content of any jar
file that has "epsg" in its name (in
$CATALINA_HOME/webapps/geoserver/WEB-INF/lib/):
jar tvf *epsg*.jar

If it lists EPSG.sql, it uses the HSQL database. Otherwise, your
Geoserver version uses epsg.properties file.

Sorry for the confusion,
Alex
N�HY޵隊X���'���u���[�������
ަ�k��!���W�~�鮆�zk��C� 塧m����@^ǚ��^��z�Z�f�z�j�!�x2�������ɫ,��� a{� �,�H��4�m���i�(��ܢo�v'��jYhr'ׯ:�rX��g����z��z�&j)b� b�ў�ǫ�����+-��.�ǟ����a��l��b��,���y�+��޷�b��?�+-�w������z��z�

Re: error when trying to upgrade geoserver - epsg database

scottpez
Alex,

Thanks for the clarification. I am using the main branch, RC7. I do not have an EPSG.sql file and I do have an epsg.properties file. The projection we are trying to use is listed in the epsg.properties file. Perhaps this is where the geoserver admin tool is getting the srs wkt information from. However, I am still getting the error below for each featureType. I've pasted a snippet of the catalina.log file.

Thnaks,
Scott

Jan 11, 2006 10:49:44 AM org.geotools.data.postgis.PostgisDataStore getGeometryAttribute
FINE: geometry sql statement is SELECT type FROM GEOMETRY_COLUMNS WHERE f_table_name='colr0211' AND f_geometry_column='the_geom';
Jan 11, 2006 10:49:44 AM org.geotools.data.postgis.PostgisDataStore getGeometryAttribute
FINE: geometry type is: MULTIPOLYGON
Jan 11, 2006 10:49:44 AM org.geotools.data.jdbc.ConnectionPool getConnection
FINE: Getting available connection.
Jan 11, 2006 10:49:44 AM org.geotools.data.jdbc.ConnectionPool$ConnectionListManager connectionClosed
FINE: Connection closed - adding to available connections.
Jan 11, 2006 10:49:44 AM org.geotools.data.jdbc.ConnectionPool getConnection
FINE: Getting available connection.
Jan 11, 2006 10:49:44 AM DefaultFactory isReady
[...]
Jan 11, 2006 10:49:46 AM org.geotools.data.jdbc.ConnectionPool$ConnectionListManager connectionClosed
FINE: Connection closed - adding to available connections.
Jan 11, 2006 10:49:46 AM org.geotools.data.jdbc.ConnectionPool getConnection
FINE: Getting available connection.
Jan 11, 2006 10:49:46 AM org.geotools.data.jdbc.ConnectionPool$ConnectionListManager connectionClosed
FINE: Connection closed - adding to available connections.
Jan 11, 2006 10:49:46 AM org.vfny.geoserver.global.Data loadFeatureTypes
FINE: loading datastore colr0211

From: Alexander Petkov
To: Scott Pezanowski
CC: [hidden email], [hidden email], [hidden email]
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 11:09:00 -0700

Alex
------------------------------------------------------- This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc. Do you grep through log files for problems? Stop! Download the new AJAX search engine that makes searching your log files as easy as surfing the web. DOWNLOAD SPLUNK! http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=7637&alloc_id=16865&op=click _______________________________________________ Geoserver-users mailing list [hidden email] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/geoserver-users

Re: error when trying to upgrade geoserver - epsg database

alexander-petkov
What happens if you remove the gt2-epsg-h.jar file from

N�HY޵隊X���'���u���[�������
ަ�k��!���W�~�鮆�zk��C� 塧m����@^ǚ��^��z�Z�f�z�j�!�x2�������ɫ,��� a{� �,�H��4�m���i�(��ܢo�v'��jYhr'ׯ:�rX��g����z��z�&j)b� b�ў�ǫ�����+-��.�ǟ����a��l��b��,���y�+��޷�b��?�+-�w������z��z�

Re: error when trying to upgrade geoserver - epsg database

scottpez
Alex,

I do not have a gt2-epsg-h.jar file in my geoserver/WEB-INF/lib folder. The only jar file with epsg in the name is gt2-epsg.jar

Thanks,
Scott

From: Alexander Petkov
To: Scott Pezanowski
CC: [hidden email], [hidden email],[hidden email]
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 13:16:45 -0700

What happens if you remove the gt2-epsg-h.jar file from
$CATALINA_HOME/webapps/geoserver/WEB-INF/lib/ ?

Alex

On 1/11/06, Scott Pezanowski wrote:
> Alex,
>
> Thanks for the clarification. I am using the main branch, RC7. I do not have
> an EPSG.sql file and I do have an epsg.properties file. The projection we
> are trying to use is listed in the epsg.properties file. Perhaps this is
> where the geoserver admin tool is getting the srs wkt information from.
> However, I am still getting the error below for each featureType. I've
> pasted a snippet of the catalina.log file.
>
> Thnaks,
> Scott

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc. Do you grep through log files for problems? Stop! Download the new AJAX search engine that makes searching your log files as easy as surfing the web. DOWNLOAD SPLUNK! http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=7637&alloc_id=16865&op=click _______________________________________________ Geoserver-users mailing list [hidden email] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/geoserver-users

Re: error when trying to upgrade geoserver - epsg database

alexander-petkov
On 1/11/06, Scott Pezanowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Alex,
>
> I do not have a gt2-epsg-h.jar file in my geoserver/WEB-INF/lib folder. The
> only jar file with epsg in the name is gt2-epsg.jar
>
> Thanks,
> Scott

Can you post the contents  of that jar?

jar tvf gt2-epsg.jar

Alex
N�HY޵隊X���'���u���[�������
ަ�k��!���W�~�鮆�zk��C� 塧m����@^ǚ��^��z�Z�f�z�j�!�x2�������ɫ,��� a{� �,�H��4�m���i�(��ܢo�v'��jYhr'ׯ:�rX��g����z��z�&j)b� b�ў�ǫ�����+-��.�ǟ����a��l��b��,���y�+��޷�b��?�+-�w������z��z�

Re: error when trying to upgrade geoserver - epsg database

scottpez
Here you go...

E:\GEOVISTA_WEB\geoserver\WEB-INF\lib>jar tvf gt2-epsg.jar
     0 Wed Nov 16 11:25:06 EST 2005 META-INF/
   373 Wed Nov 16 11:25:04 EST 2005 META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
     0 Wed Nov 16 11:24:54 EST 2005 org/
     0 Wed Nov 16 11:24:54 EST 2005 org/geotools/
     0 Wed Nov 16 11:24:54 EST 2005 org/geotools/referencing/
     0 Wed Nov 16 11:24:54 EST 2005 org/geotools/referencing/crs/
     0 Wed Nov 16 11:24:54 EST 2005 META-INF/services/
  2285 Wed Nov 16 11:24:54 EST 2005 org/geotools/referencing/crs/AUTOCRSAuthorityFactory$Code.class
   863 Wed Nov 16 11:24:54 EST 2005 org/geotools/referencing/crs/AUTOCRSAuthorityFactory$Factlet.cla
ss
  4705 Wed Nov 16 11:24:54 EST 2005 org/geotools/referencing/crs/AUTOCRSAuthorityFactory$Auto42001.c
lass
  4557 Wed Nov 16 11:24:54 EST 2005 org/geotools/referencing/crs/AUTOCRSAuthorityFactory$Auto42002.c
lass
  4510 Wed Nov 16 11:24:54 EST 2005 org/geotools/referencing/crs/AUTOCRSAuthorityFactory$Auto42003.c
lass
  4558 Wed Nov 16 11:24:54 EST 2005 org/geotools/referencing/crs/AUTOCRSAuthorityFactory$Auto42004.c
lass
   268 Wed Nov 16 11:24:54 EST 2005 org/geotools/referencing/crs/AUTOCRSAuthorityFactory$1.class
  7121 Wed Nov 16 11:24:54 EST 2005 org/geotools/referencing/crs/AUTOCRSAuthorityFactory.class
  9424 Wed Nov 16 11:24:54 EST 2005 org/geotools/referencing/crs/EPSGCRSAuthorityFactory.class
1563489 Wed Nov 16 11:24:54 EST 2005 org/geotools/referencing/crs/epsg.properties
   106 Wed Nov 16 11:24:54 EST 2005 META-INF/services/org.opengis.referencing.crs.CRSAuthorityFactor
   638 Sun Sep 18 23:00:30 EDT 2005 META-INF/LICENSE.txt

From: Alexander Petkov
To: Scott Pezanowski
CC: [hidden email], [hidden email], [hidden email]
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 13:38:33 -0700

Alex
------------------------------------------------------- This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc. Do you grep through log files for problems? Stop! Download the new AJAX search engine that makes searching your log files as easy as surfing the web. DOWNLOAD SPLUNK! http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=7637&alloc_id=16865&op=click _______________________________________________ Geoserver-users mailing list [hidden email] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/geoserver-users

Re: error when trying to upgrade geoserver - epsg database

Martin Desruisseaux-2
Some hints:

- The AbstractMethodError suggests that some JARs come from different
   Geotools versions. The EPSG factories are stable since a few months,
   but maybe they were in more active development at the time the JARs
   were selected for Geoserver.

- The SQLException: "No data source found" error message suggests that
   the software tried to connect to an EPSG database backed by SQL, like
   HSQL, Access or PostgreSQL. The WKT-backed factory do not fall in this
   category. It is normal that the referencing module checks for a SQL
   database (if available, they are the most complete ones), but I'm not
   why if fail because of that. Maybe the software didn't found the
   WKT-backed version as a fallback.

- gt2-epsg.jar is a quite old name for gt2-epsg-wkt.jar. It is the name
   it had when the WKT-backed factory was the only one available; the
   SQL-backed ones didn't existed at that time. If my memory serve me
   right, gt2-epsg.jar should be approximatively one year old.

- The unzipped content of gt2-epsg.jar posted recently confirm that it
   is the WKT-backed factory.

I suggest to look in the logs. I'm not sure where the output of
java.util.logging package appears in a J2EE environment. You may need to
editthe $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/logging.properties file in order to display
logging message having the 'CONFIG' level (by default, only 'INFO' and
above are logged to the console). At some place, you shoud find a log
message from org.geotools.referencing.FactoryFinder with the 'CONFIG'
level. This message list all factories found by FactoryFinder. If you
can find this log message, it would be useful information.

        Martin.

On 1/11/06, Martin Desruisseaux <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Some hints:
>
> - The AbstractMethodError suggests that some JARs come from different
>    Geotools versions.

I agree with what Martin said. Although the gt2-epsg.jar appears to be
the one distributed with RC7, it looks like there are jar archives
from different geotools version.

What is the contents of the "E:\GEOVISTA_WEB\geoserver\WEB-INF\lib" directory?

Alex
N�HY޵隊X���'���u���[�������
ަ�k��!���W�~�鮆�zk��C� 塧m����@^ǚ��^��z�Z�f�z�j�!�x2�������ɫ,��� a{� �,�H��4�m���i�(��ܢo�v'��jYhr'ׯ:�rX��g����z��z�&j)b� b�ў�ǫ�����+-��.�ǟ����a��l��b��,���y�+��޷�b��?�+-�w������z��z�

Re: error when trying to upgrade geoserver - epsg database

scottpez
Alex and Martin,

I have done some experimenting with this problem. I added the gt2-epsg-hsql.jar that Justin gave me and then added hsqldb-1.8.0.1.jar. I am no longer receiving the error that the EPSG database is not found for every featureType. Now I am only getting one error in the catalina.log file. This error is:

FINE: geometry sql statement is SELECT type FROM GEOMETRY_COLUMNS WHERE f_table_name='colr0020' AND f_geometry_column='the_geom';
Jan 12, 2006 4:12:44 PM org.geotools.data.postgis.PostgisDataStore getGeometryAttribute
FINE: geometry type is: MULTIPOLYGON
Jan 12, 2006 4:12:44 PM org.geotools.data.jdbc.ConnectionPool getConnection
FINE: No available connections, creating a new one.
Jan 12, 2006 4:12:44 PM org.geotools.data.jdbc.ConnectionPool$ConnectionListManager connectionClosed
FINE: Connection closed - adding to available connections.
Jan 12, 2006 4:12:44 PM org.geotools.data.jdbc.ConnectionPool getConnection
FINE: Getting available connection.
Jan 12, 2006 4:12:48 PM null createBackingStore
WARNING: Failed to bind "jdbc/EPSG" entry
javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: Name jdbc is not bound in this Context
    at org.apache.naming.NamingContext.bind(NamingContext.java:842)
    at org.apache.naming.NamingContext.bind(NamingContext.java:170)
    at org.apache.naming.NamingContext.bind(NamingContext.java:186)
    at org.apache.naming.SelectorContext.bind(SelectorContext.java:170)
    at javax.naming.InitialContext.bind(Unknown Source)
    at org.geotools.referencing.factory.epsg.DefaultFactory.createFactory(DefaultFactory.java:277)
[...]
Jan 12, 2006 4:12:48 PM org.geotools.referencing.factory.epsg.DefaultFactory createBackingStore
CONFIG: Connected to EPSG database "jdbc:hsqldb:file:/E:/Tomcat/temp/Geotools/Cached databases/EPSG" on HSQL Database Engine.
Jan 12, 2006 4:12:48 PM org.geotools.referencing.factory.DatumAliases reload
FINE: Loading datum aliases from "jar:file:/E:/GEOVISTA_WEB/geoserver/WEB-INF/lib/gt2-main.jar!/org/geotools/referencing/factory/DatumAliasesTable.txt".

In the stdout log file of Tomcat I am getting this error:

java.util.logging.ErrorManager: 5
java.lang.NullPointerException
    at java.io.Writer.write(Unknown Source)
    at org.vfny.geoserver.global.Log4JFormatter.format(Log4JFormatter.java:146)
    at java.util.logging.StreamHandler.publish(Unknown Source)
    at org.vfny.geoserver.global.Log4JFormatter$Stdout.publish(Log4JFormatter.java:344)
    at java.util.logging.Logger.log(Unknown Source)
    at org.geotools.referencing.factory.epsg.DefaultFactory.createFactory(DefaultFactory.java:287)
[...]
  9187 [CONFIG] org.geotools.referencing.factory.epsg.DefaultFactory - Connected to EPSG database "jdbc:hsqldb:file:/E:/Tomcat/temp/Geotools/Cached databases/EPSG" on HSQL Database Engine.
 9234 [FINE] org.geotools.referencing.factory.DatumAliases - Loading datum aliases from "jar:file:/E:/GEOVISTA_WEB/geoserver/WEB-INF/lib/gt2-main.jar!/org/geotools/referencing/factory/DatumAliasesTable.txt".

I am not sure if these errors are related. So, my lib directory now looks like this:

E:\GEOVISTA_WEB\geoserver\WEB-INF\lib>dir
 Volume in drive E is WEB
 Volume Serial Number is F22E-43D3

 Directory of E:\GEOVISTA_WEB\geoserver\WEB-INF\lib

01/12/2006  12:18 PM    <DIR>          .
01/12/2006  12:18 PM    <DIR>          ..
12/19/2005  10:20 AM           335,415 batik-awt-util-1.1.1.jar
12/19/2005  10:20 AM           173,618 batik-svggen-1.1.1.jar
12/19/2005  10:20 AM            50,379 batik-util-1.1.1.jar
11/30/2005  04:11 PM           118,726 commons-beanutils.jar
11/30/2005  04:11 PM           165,119 commons-collections.jar
11/30/2005  04:11 PM           109,096 commons-digester.jar
11/30/2005  04:11 PM            22,379 commons-fileupload.jar
11/30/2005  04:11 PM           224,754 commons-httpclient-2.0.1.jar
11/30/2005  04:11 PM            63,980 commons-lang.jar
11/30/2005  04:11 PM            31,605 commons-logging.jar
11/30/2005  04:11 PM            46,865 commons-validator.jar
12/19/2005  10:20 AM           235,580 geoapi-2.0.jar
12/19/2005  10:51 AM           703,633 geoserver.jar
11/30/2005  04:11 PM            22,173 gt2-arcgrid.jar
12/19/2005  10:27 AM            71,082 gt2-arcsde.jar
01/10/2006  02:41 PM           535,562 gt2-epsg-hsql.jar
12/19/2005  10:27 AM            98,722 gt2-epsg.jar
11/30/2005  04:11 PM            40,266 gt2-experiment.jar
12/19/2005  10:27 AM             6,313 gt2-gml.jar
12/19/2005  10:27 AM           125,792 gt2-graph.jar
11/30/2005  04:11 PM             8,218 gt2-image.jar
12/19/2005  10:27 AM           109,138 gt2-indexed-shapefile.jar
12/19/2005  10:27 AM         2,747,578 gt2-main.jar
12/19/2005  10:27 AM            21,452 gt2-mysql.jar
12/19/2005  10:27 AM            56,149 gt2-oracle-spatial.jar
12/19/2005  10:27 AM            49,777 gt2-postgis.jar
12/19/2005  10:27 AM            16,122 gt2-property.jar
12/19/2005  10:27 AM            84,871 gt2-shapefile.jar
12/19/2005  10:27 AM             2,094 gt2-utils.jar
12/19/2005  10:27 AM           212,317 gt2-validation.jar
12/19/2005  10:27 AM            82,005 gt2-vpf.jar
11/30/2005  04:11 PM           167,838 gt2-wfs.jar
12/19/2005  10:27 AM           204,469 gt2-wms.jar
08/19/2005  10:56 AM           625,096 hsqldb-1.8.0.1.jar
12/06/2005  09:59 AM           410,888 httpunit.jar
11/30/2005  04:11 PM         1,284,591 jai-core-1.1.3-alpha.jar
11/30/2005  04:11 PM           177,537 jai_codec-1.1.3-alpha.jar
11/30/2005  04:11 PM           746,168 jai_imageio-1.1-alpha.jar
11/30/2005  04:11 PM            65,368 jakarta-oro.jar
11/30/2005  04:11 PM           210,908 jdbcPostgres.jar
01/05/2006  03:32 PM    <DIR>          jetty
12/19/2005  10:20 AM           169,565 jsde_concurrent-9.0.jar
12/19/2005  10:20 AM           664,335 jsde_jpe_sdk-9.0.jar
12/19/2005  10:20 AM           616,428 jsde_sdk-9.0.jar
11/30/2005  04:11 PM           383,237 JTS-1.6.jar
11/30/2005  04:11 PM           350,115 log4j-1.2.5.jar
11/30/2005  04:11 PM            88,188 mockrunner-servlet.jar
11/30/2005  04:11 PM           226,061 mysql-connector-java-3.0.9.jar
12/19/2005  10:20 AM            24,163 opengis-css-0.1.jar
11/30/2005  04:11 PM            33,019 opengis-legacy-0.1.jar
11/30/2005  04:11 PM           498,051 struts.jar
12/19/2005  10:20 AM            25,393 units-0.01.jar
11/30/2005  04:11 PM           289,881 vecmath-1.3.jar
11/30/2005  04:11 PM            59,869 wkb4j-1.0-RC1-modified.jar
11/30/2005  04:11 PM         1,645,473 xalan.jar
02/20/2004  01:01 PM         1,010,806 xercesImpl.jar
              55 File(s)     16,548,227 bytes
               3 Dir(s)  700,526,755,840 bytes free

I am not sure if these errors that are being thrown are the cause of my problems with Geoserver taking so long to start up. Do you think I should continue down this route of trying to get rid of these errors? Unfortunately, I was not able to figure out how to get the factoryFinder log. I can keep trying to figure this out.

Thanks,
Scott

From: Alexander Petkov
To: Martin Desruisseaux
CC: Scott Pezanowski , [hidden email], [hidden email]
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 16:05:33 -0700