error in v.overlay: Unable to write spatial index. Wrong node position

error in v.overlay: Unable to write spatial index. Wrong node position

Moritz Lennert
Hi,

I just came across this error:

******************************
ERROR: Unable to write spatial index. Wrong node position (950329504) in
        file (should be 950333637).
ERROR: Clipping steps failed. Check above error messages and see following
        details:
        Module run None ['v.overlay', 'binput=temp_30311', 'operator=and',
        'olayer=0,1,0', 'ainput=sq_batiments',
        'output=walous_temp_batiment_tile_18980'] ended with error
        Process ended with non-zero return code 1. See errors in the (error)
        output.

Re: error in v.overlay: Unable to write spatial index. Wrong node position

Markus Metz-3

On Mon, Jun 10, 2019 at 6:12 PM Moritz Lennert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just came across this error:
>
> ******************************
> ERROR: Unable to write spatial index. Wrong node position (950329504) in
>         file (should be 950333637).
> ERROR: Clipping steps failed. Check above error messages and see following
>         details:
>         Module run None ['v.overlay', 'binput=temp_30311', 'operator=and',
>         'olayer=0,1,0', 'ainput=sq_batiments',
>         'output=walous_temp_batiment_tile_18980'] ended with error
>         Process ended with non-zero return code 1. See errors in the (error)
>         output.
> ******************************
>
> Any hint of what this might mean ? Should I file a bug report ?

That means there was an error while writing out a spatial index, the file size of the file holding the partially written out spatial index is smaller than expected. Is this error reproducible on a different partition/file system? Can you provide test data to reproduce?

Markus M

On 10/06/19 21:39, Markus Metz wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 10, 2019 at 6:12 PM Moritz Lennert
>  >
>  > Hi,
>  >
>  > I just came across this error:
>  >
>  > ******************************
>  > ERROR: Unable to write spatial index. Wrong node position (950329504) in
>  >         file (should be 950333637).
>  > ERROR: Clipping steps failed. Check above error messages and see
> following
>  >         details:
>  >         Module run None ['v.overlay', 'binput=temp_30311',
> 'operator=and',
>  >         'olayer=0,1,0', 'ainput=sq_batiments',
>  >         'output=walous_temp_batiment_tile_18980'] ended with error
>  >         Process ended with non-zero return code 1. See errors in the
> (error)
>  >         output.
>  > ******************************
>  >
>  > Any hint of what this might mean ? Should I file a bug report ?
>
> That means there was an error while writing out a spatial index, the
> file size of the file holding the partially written out spatial index is
> smaller than expected. Is this error reproducible on a different
> partition/file system? Can you provide test data to reproduce?

This was running on one node in an HPC. Up to now I haven't been able to
reproduce it, so it was probably some glitch on that node. If I have
other occurences, I'll try to narrow it down and provide test data.

Moritz

On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 11:12 AM Moritz Lennert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/06/19 21:39, Markus Metz wrote:
> >

> > On Mon, Jun 10, 2019 at 6:12 PM Moritz Lennert
> > <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> >  >
> >  > Hi,
> >  >
> >  > I just came across this error:
> >  >
> >  > ******************************
> >  > ERROR: Unable to write spatial index. Wrong node position (950329504) in
> >  >         file (should be 950333637).
> >  > ERROR: Clipping steps failed. Check above error messages and see
> > following
> >  >         details:
> >  >         Module run None ['v.overlay', 'binput=temp_30311',
> > 'operator=and',
> >  >         'olayer=0,1,0', 'ainput=sq_batiments',
> >  >         'output=walous_temp_batiment_tile_18980'] ended with error
> >  >         Process ended with non-zero return code 1. See errors in the
> > (error)
> >  >         output.
> >  > ******************************
> >  >
> >  > Any hint of what this might mean ? Should I file a bug report ?
> >
> > That means there was an error while writing out a spatial index, the
> > file size of the file holding the partially written out spatial index is
> > smaller than expected. Is this error reproducible on a different
> > partition/file system? Can you provide test data to reproduce?
>
> This was running on one node in an HPC. Up to now I haven't been able to
> reproduce it, so it was probably some glitch on that node.

Looking at the code again, this error can happen if not all data that should be written out where actually written out, e.g. with no space left on device. The diglib routines should do some more error (return code) checking and fail earlier. I don't think it's a bug in the code, but maybe error messages could be improved.

Markus M