eliminations of "seams" between raster tiles?

eliminations of "seams" between raster tiles?

Yury T.
If tiled rasters have different representations of same elevation
(e.g., GTOPO tiles), the untidy "seams" between slightly
darker/lighter representations of same level in neighbouring tiles are
created. Same elevations look different across the map.

Is there a possibility of layer "calibration"? Is there possibly some
other, non-QGIS-specific way of remedying that?

---

Re: eliminations of "seams" between raster tiles?

Tim Sutton
Hi

This is something that should be addressed with the upcoming raster
transparency branch merge. Cant say when it will be merged yet, but
keep in touch with Peter Ersts about this. Basically what you need is
to use the same histogram stretch for all your tiled rasters.... We
will be making some test builds of the raster branch in the near
future for people to try out Peter and Marcos magic therein....

Regards

Tim

2007/10/30, Yury Tarasievich <[hidden email]>:

> If tiled rasters have different representations of same elevation
> (e.g., GTOPO tiles), the untidy "seams" between slightly
> darker/lighter representations of same level in neighbouring tiles are
> created. Same elevations look different across the map.
>
> Is there a possibility of layer "calibration"? Is there possibly some
> other, non-QGIS-specific way of remedying that?
>
> ---

Tim Sutton
QGIS Project Steering Committee Member - Release  Manager
Visit http://qgis.org for a great open source GIS
openModeller Desktop Developer
Visit http://openModeller.sf.net for a great open source ecological
niche modelling tool
Home Page: http://tim.linfiniti.com
Skype: timlinux
Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

On 01/11/2007, Tim Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This is something that should be addressed with the upcoming raster
> transparency branch merge. Cant say when it will be merged yet, but
> keep in touch with Peter Ersts about this. Basically what you need is
> to use the same histogram stretch for all your tiled rasters.... We
> will be making some test builds of the raster branch in the near
> future for people to try out Peter and Marcos magic therein....

Thanks. Is there anything in the works for one to choose the *color*
stretch as well?

---

Re: eliminations of "seams" between raster tiles?

Tim Sutton
Hi

Peter do you have any comments on this? I guess bu 'color' Yuri means
the band..?

Regards

Tim

Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: eliminations of "seams" between raster tiles?

Peter Ersts-2
Stretching capabilities that are available now, include
1) Stretch by single band (gray scale)
2) Stretch by multi-color band (RGB)
3) The custom color ramps that Marc added a couple of months ago.

So I think that will actually cover most users. The color ramps are
basic at the moment but the core functionality is there.

I should be committing my recent changes tonight which include
QgsRasterLayer utilizing the new QgsContrastEnhancement class.

-pete

On Nov 2, 2007 11:07 AM, Tim Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Peter do you have any comments on this? I guess bu 'color' Yuri means
> the band..?
>
> Regards
>
> Tim
>
> > Thanks. Is there anything in the works for one to choose the *color*
> > stretch as well?
> >
> > ---

> Tim Sutton
> QGIS Project Steering Committee Member - Release  Manager
> Visit http://qgis.org for a great open source GIS
> openModeller Desktop Developer
> Visit http://openModeller.sf.net for a great open source ecological
> niche modelling tool
> Home Page: http://tim.linfiniti.com
> Skype: timlinux

Re: eliminations of "seams" between raster tiles?

Agustin Lobo-2
Tim,

Considering Pete's answer, could these 3 features be included
in the 0.9.1 release? Sorry if I'm too insisting, but not having
these features really prevents any real work done with QGis for raster
imagery. You can work with raster maps, but not with raster images unless
they have been previously enhanced with another program, which you can do
once for testing but, in practice, is very inconvenient.
I understand you have to conform to formal procedures to decide what
to include in 0.9.1 and do not discuss the criteria and/or the final
decision, just wanted to make it clear the consequences of
not having these 3 tools.

Thank you all for your (great) work!

Agus

Peter Ersts escribió:

> Stretching capabilities that are available now, include
> 1) Stretch by single band (gray scale)
> 2) Stretch by multi-color band (RGB)
> 3) The custom color ramps that Marc added a couple of months ago.
>
> So I think that will actually cover most users. The color ramps are
> basic at the moment but the core functionality is there.
>
> I should be committing my recent changes tonight which include
> QgsRasterLayer utilizing the new QgsContrastEnhancement class.
>
> -pete
>
> On Nov 2, 2007 11:07 AM, Tim Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Peter do you have any comments on this? I guess bu 'color' Yuri means
>> the band..?
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Tim
>>
>>> Thanks. Is there anything in the works for one to choose the *color*
>>> stretch as well?
>>>
>>> ---
>>>

>> --
>> Tim Sutton
>> QGIS Project Steering Committee Member - Release  Manager
>> Visit http://qgis.org for a great open source GIS
>> openModeller Desktop Developer
>> Visit http://openModeller.sf.net for a great open source ecological
>> niche modelling tool
>> Home Page: http://tim.linfiniti.com
>> Skype: timlinux
>> Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Dr. Agustin Lobo
Institut de Ciencies de la Terra "Jaume Almera" (CSIC)
LLuis Sole Sabaris s/n
08028 Barcelona
Spain
Tel. 34 934095410
Fax. 34 934110012
email: [hidden email]
http://www.ija.csic.es/gt/obster

Re: eliminations of "seams" between raster tiles?

Hugentobler  Marco
Hi all,

I'm in favour of a bugfix release 0.9.1 that is very soon and contains only
small changes.
In my opinion, the branches should be tested and merged after that as they
contain bigger changes that habe higher risk of side effects.
Tim, what's your opinion on this as release manager?

If the functionality in raster transparency branch is very important for some
tasks, why not checkout the code in the branch, compile qgis and work with
it?

Regards,
Marco

On Saturday 03 November 2007 09:59:59 Agustin Lobo wrote:

> Tim,
>
> Considering Pete's answer, could these 3 features be included
> in the 0.9.1 release? Sorry if I'm too insisting, but not having
> these features really prevents any real work done with QGis for raster
> imagery. You can work with raster maps, but not with raster images unless
> they have been previously enhanced with another program, which you can do
> once for testing but, in practice, is very inconvenient.
> I understand you have to conform to formal procedures to decide what
> to include in 0.9.1 and do not discuss the criteria and/or the final
> decision, just wanted to make it clear the consequences of
> not having these 3 tools.
>
> Thank you all for your (great) work!
>
> Agus
>
> Peter Ersts escribió:
> > Stretching capabilities that are available now, include
> > 1) Stretch by single band (gray scale)
> > 2) Stretch by multi-color band (RGB)
> > 3) The custom color ramps that Marc added a couple of months ago.
> >
> > So I think that will actually cover most users. The color ramps are
> > basic at the moment but the core functionality is there.
> >
> > I should be committing my recent changes tonight which include
> > QgsRasterLayer utilizing the new QgsContrastEnhancement class.
> >
> > -pete
> >
> > On Nov 2, 2007 11:07 AM, Tim Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> Peter do you have any comments on this? I guess bu 'color' Yuri means
> >> the band..?
> >>
> >> Regards
> >>
> >> Tim

> >> --
> >> Tim Sutton
> >> QGIS Project Steering Committee Member - Release  Manager
> >> Visit http://qgis.org for a great open source GIS
> >> openModeller Desktop Developer
> >> Visit http://openModeller.sf.net for a great open source ecological
> >> niche modelling tool
> >> Home Page: http://tim.linfiniti.com
> >> Skype: timlinux
> >> Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Dr. Marco Hugentobler
Institute of Cartography
ETH Zurich

Re: eliminations of "seams" between raster tiles?

Agustin Lobo-2
Because compiling on Win is not precisely an easy task and most
users wont do it.

Agus

On 02/11/2007, Peter Ersts <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Stretching capabilities that are available now, include
> 1) Stretch by single band (gray scale)
> 2) Stretch by multi-color band (RGB)
> 3) The custom color ramps that Marc added a couple of months ago.

The item 3 looks like it's what I'm asking about... however, I don't
see such capability in my 0.9 compiled from source on slackware 12.0.
Am I doing something wrong way?

1. I add grayscale raster (for the sake of demonstration, it's GTOPO30
E020N40.DEM). 2. I request "pseudocolor" Color Map for it in layer
properties. 3. In the General tab of the layer properties, there are
Palette and Legend graphicboxes, however, these aren't interactive,
the colors in the color map are generated, not selected/defined. Or
are they?

---

Re: [Qgis-developer] eliminations of "seams" between raster tiles?

Tim Sutton
Hi Marco

I'm in agreement for getting out a 0.9.1 release as soon as possible.
However Tisham who does the windows builds is away till the end of
November so I think its not possible to release before early Dec as I
dont yet have the complete win compilation environment set up.

I agree that branches shouldnt be merged in till post 0.9.1. I will
try over the next few weeks to get test builds made for all platforms
of the Raster and Editing branches (but without all the extra bits
that Tisham does on win so no python, no grass support). We can post
thos for Agostin and others who would like to participate early on in
the quality assurance process before these branches are merged.

Regards

Tim

Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: eliminations of "seams" between raster tiles?

Tim Sutton
Hi

You need to check out the raster transparency branch to be able to
test. Please see:

http://wiki.qgis.org/qgiswiki/RasterTransparencyBranch

For detailed notes about the branch including how to check it out.

Regards

Tim

Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: eliminations of "seams" between raster tiles?

Tim Sutton
Hi

As mentioned in my reply to Marco, I will make a test build of raster
branch for windows in the next few days. It wont contain GRASS or
python support yet. I will post a note to the mailing list when the
test build is available.

Regards

Tim

Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: eliminations of "seams" between raster tiles?

Tim Sutton
Hi

Unfortuantely its not so simple to just pick out 3 features and put
them into trunk. See my other reponses to this thread.

Regards

Tim

Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: [Qgis-developer] eliminations of "seams" between raster tiles?

Agustin Lobo-2
ok, this seems to me a good equilibrium among different criteria.
I'll miss grass support, though.

Thanks for considering my point of view!

Agus