elasticsearch switching to SSPL

Jean Pommier - PI geosolutions
Hi

This is a question to GN devs. But that might interest a broader audience.

I recently saw agitation around the change of licence initiated on
elasticsearch, some saying that the SSPL is actually a constraining,
proprietary-like licence hiding behind claimed openness.

I suppose GN devs have considered the possible implications on GN, since
it is currently relying quite strongly on ES. Do you believe it will
have consequences ? What's your point of view ?

And, BTW, I've just tried a bit GN4, congratulations and big thanks, it
seems incredibly faster than before.

Best,

Jean

--

*Jean Pommier -- pi-Geosolutions*

Ingénieur, consultant indépendant

Tél. : (+33) 6 09 23 21 36
E-mail : [hidden email]
Web : www.pi-geosolutions.fr

Re: elasticsearch switching to SSPL

Remi Desgrange-2
Hi Jean.

Amazon already had an elasticsearch distribution (OpenDistro for
elasticsearch, https://opendistro.github.io/for-elasticsearch/) Until then
it was "just" a fork + some light enhancement (like authentication) but AWS
announce that they will continue to develop OpenDistro alongside
Elasticsearch (
https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/opensource/stepping-up-for-a-truly-open-source-elasticsearch/
).

Best, Rémi.

On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 10:16 PM Jean Pommier <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> This is a question to GN devs. But that might interest a broader audience.
>
> I recently saw agitation around the change of licence initiated on
> elasticsearch, some saying that the SSPL is actually a constraining,
> proprietary-like licence hiding behind claimed openness.
>
> I suppose GN devs have considered the possible implications on GN, since
> it is currently relying quite strongly on ES. Do you believe it will
> have consequences ? What's your point of view ?
>
> And, BTW, I've just tried a bit GN4, congratulations and big thanks, it
> seems incredibly faster than before.
>
> Best,
>
> Jean
>

> --
>
> *Jean Pommier -- pi-Geosolutions*
>
> Ingénieur, consultant indépendant
>
> Tél. : (+33) 6 09 23 21 36
> E-mail : [hidden email]
> Web : www.pi-geosolutions.fr

Cordialement, Rémi Desgrange

Re: elasticsearch switching to SSPL

Jean Pommier - PI geosolutions
Hi Rémi,

Thanks. I didn't see that info. So, Amazon steps up as an Open Source
champion ?

Well besides being sarcastic, it's indeed a good news. Means we might
just switch to the fork if necessary, right ?

Best,

Jean

Le 25/01/2021 à 07:51, Remi Desgrange a écrit :

> Hi Jean.
>
> Amazon already had an elasticsearch distribution (OpenDistro for
> elasticsearch, https://opendistro.github.io/for-elasticsearch/
> <https://opendistro.github.io/for-elasticsearch/>) Until then it was
> "just" a fork + some light enhancement (like authentication) but AWS
> announce that they will continue to develop OpenDistro alongside
> Elasticsearch
> (https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/opensource/stepping-up-for-a-truly-open-source-elasticsearch/
> <https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/opensource/stepping-up-for-a-truly-open-source-elasticsearch/>).
>
> Best, Rémi.
>
> On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 10:16 PM Jean Pommier
> <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hi
>
>     This is a question to GN devs. But that might interest a broader
>     audience.
>
>     I recently saw agitation around the change of licence initiated on
>     elasticsearch, some saying that the SSPL is actually a constraining,
>     proprietary-like licence hiding behind claimed openness.
>
>     I suppose GN devs have considered the possible implications on GN,
>     since
>     it is currently relying quite strongly on ES. Do you believe it will
>     have consequences ? What's your point of view ?
>
>     And, BTW, I've just tried a bit GN4, congratulations and big
>     thanks, it
>     seems incredibly faster than before.
>
>     Best,
>
>     Jean
>

>     --
>
>     *Jean Pommier -- pi-Geosolutions*
>
>     Ingénieur, consultant indépendant
>
>     Tél. : (+33) 6 09 23 21 36
>     E-mail : [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     Web : www.pi-geosolutions.fr <http://www.pi-geosolutions.fr>

>     GeoNetwork OpenSource is maintained at
>     http://sourceforge.net/projects/geonetwork
>     <http://sourceforge.net/projects/geonetwork>
>

> --
> Cordialement, Rémi Desgrange

Re: elasticsearch switching to SSPL

Remi Desgrange-2
I think it's complex :-)

From my point of view, but it's point of view:
* Not all elastic code is relicenced. Just XPack. After 3 to 5 years the
code goes back to Apache 2.0.
* AWS started a war with elastic.They said that they have a partnership
with Elastic which is not true (at least Elastic said it was not true).
* AWS is doing _exactly_ the same things as Amazon. Selling you stuff, then
when it sees the product is trendy, removing you from the store by putting
his own "Amazon Basic" or "Amazon Choice" stuff.

In the end, for us, geonetwork users, we have multiple options. You can
choose whatever is best for you.