dlg formats

Duane Wessels-2
We just received a bunch of dlg's in `standard' format.  It seems
v.in.dlg only understands the `optional' format.

Does a standard to optional filter exist?  Is there another way
to read standard dlg's into GRASS?

Duane Wessels  <[hidden email] | [hidden email]>
Pacific Northwest Laboratory, Richland, Washington +1 509 376-4461

Re: dlg formats

Chris C Rewerts
>Date: Wed, 12 Feb 92 17:06:10 -0800
>From: Duane Wessels <[hidden email]>
>Subject: dlg formats
>
>We just received a bunch of dlg's in `standard' format.  It seems
>v.in.dlg only understands the `optional' format.
>
>Does a standard to optional filter exist?  Is there another way
>to read standard dlg's into GRASS?
>
>Duane Wessels  <[hidden email] | [hidden email]>
>Pacific Northwest Laboratory, Richland, Washington +1 509 376-4461

Sorry, I don't know the answer to that, but
this reminds me of a problem we have importing some dlg
data into GRASS... perhaps someone can offer advice.

There were two types of files on the tape that one of our people
received. One type looks like a regular ascii dlg file. the top
line says:

ESRI    DLG DATA - CHARACTER FORMAT - 9-10-87 VERSION

these files would import ok, but with no labels or classes to
the map info. Meanwhile, there was the other type of file on the
tape, which I would guess is somehow the key to the class names,
but we haven't figured out how to combine it with the vector
info. Here is a sample of the other files:

     1 PEMA
     2 PEMA
     3 PEMA
     4 PEMA
     5 PEMA
     6 PEMA

looks like class name info to me... So, how do we combine this
with the dlg data when we import to GRASS?

Thanks to whomever can shed light on this...

Chris Rewerts                        Internet: [hidden email]
Agricultural Engineering             UUCP:     rewerts!pur-ee
Purdue University                    BITNET:   rewerts%ecn@purccvm