displaying 3-band images

David Hildebrand

I have a TIFF image I want to display.  The image is a 3-band 8-bit image.  The server logs show no error but my display is coming out blank.  I am using ms4w with GDAL support so I’m not sure what is going wrong here.  A sample of the mapfile is shown below.  I get a parsing error if I include IMAGEMODE “RGB” in the layer definition.  Any suggestions?

LAYER

  NAME "awifs"

  PROCESSING "BANDS=3,2,1"

  PROCESSING "SCALE=AUTO"

  METADATA

    "wms_title" "awifs"

    "wms_opaque" "1"

    "ows_resolution" "56 56"

    "wms_srs" "EPSG:43001"

    "wms_extent" "-701344.000 -417256.000 803040.000 711368.000"

    "wcs_srs" "EPSG:43001"

    "wcs_extent" "-701344.000 -417256.000 803040.000 711368.000"

  END

  STATUS on

  TYPE raster

  DATA "//Plcoressatsb01/AWiFS/initial_delivery/images/July.tif"

  PROJECTION

    "init=epsg:43001"

  END

  EXTENT -701344.000 -417256.000 803040.000 711368.000

  UNITS meters

END

===========================
David V. Hildebrand
Agriculture Financial Services Corporation
(403) 782-8239

This communication is intended for the use of the recipient to which it is addressed, and may contain confidential, personal and/or privileged information. Please contact Agriculture Financial Services Corporation immediately if you are not the intended recipient of this communication, and do not copy, distribute, or take action relying on it. Any communication received in error, or subsequent reply, should be deleted or destroyed. Please consider the environment before printing this email.

From: Brent Fraser <[hidden email]>
To: "David Hildebrand" <[hidden email]>
Cc: [hidden email]
Date: Tuesday, December 7, 2010, 10:02 AM

David,

  This thread may get you started with OpenStreetMap.  Be sure to read Google's and Bing's Term Of Service.

http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/mapserver-users/2010-July/066061.html

Best Regards,
Brent Fraser

On 12/6/2010 12:18 PM, David Hildebrand wrote:

I want to add a street map (OpenStreetMap, Google, Bing, etc.) as a WMS layer but I’m not sure which service to use and what the URL would be to try them out?  My AOI is only about 10 by 10 degrees wide.

Any suggestions?

===========================

www.afsc.ca <
http://www.afsc.ca>
This communication is intended for the use of the recipient to which it is addressed, and may contain confidential, personal and/or privileged information. Please contact Agriculture Financial Services Corporation immediately if you are not the intended recipient of this communication, and do not copy, distribute, or take action relying on it. Any communication received in error, or subsequent reply, should be deleted or destroyed. Please consider the environment before printing this email.

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Re: displaying 3-band images

Michael Schulz
Hi,

are you sure your raster can be read by mapserver cgi? Maybe try adding the ON_MISSING_DATA config option at map file level to rule out this error: CONFIG "ON_MISSING_DATA" "FAIL"
Also, I think IMAGEMODE is a parameter of the outputformat object not the layer object.

Cheers, Michael

2010/12/8 David Hildebrand <[hidden email]>

[...]

[hidden email]

in medias res

Schwimmbadstraße 2
D-79100  Freiburg i. Br.

Tel:  +49 (0)761 705798-102
Tel:  +49 (0)761 705798-0
Fax: +49 (0)761 705798-09

http://www.webgis.de / http://www.zopecms.de

RE: displaying 3-band images

David Hildebrand

Michael:

I inserted the following lines in my map file.

  CONFIG "MS_ERRORFILE" "stdout"

  DEBUG 5

  CONFIG "CPL_DEBUG" "ON"

  CONFIG "PROJ_DEBUG" "ON"

  CONFIG "ON_MISSING_DATA" "FAIL"

However, the behavior is the same and I get no additional messages.  However, the following message shows up in the apache error file.

  GDAL: GDALDeregister_GTiff() called.\r

My mapserver (ms4w) has been built with GDAL support because mapserv –v gives me the following.

  MapServer version 5.3-dev OUTPUT=GIF OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP OUTPUT=SVG SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=FREETYPE

  SUPPORTS=ICONV SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=WFS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WFS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=WCS_SERVER

  SUPPORTS=SOS_SERVER SUPPORTS=FASTCGI SUPPORTS=THREADS SUPPORTS=GEOS INPUT=POSTGIS INPUT=OGR INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE

I’m wondering if there is a problem in GDAL reading the projection information because using gdalinfo on the source file gives me the following in the output.

  Coordinate System is:

  LOCAL_CS[]

Yet, when I add the correct projection information using gdal_translate –a_srs … ArcView comes up with a blank image.

Any clues?

===========================
[...]

Rahkonen Jukka (Tike)
Hi,

What does gdalinfo tell about your image?

-Jukka Rahkonen-

Vastaanottaja: Michael Schulz; [hidden email]
Aihe: RE: [mapserver-users] displaying 3-band images

www.afsc.ca <about:www.afsc.ca>  <http://www.afsc.ca <http://www.afsc.ca/> >

  _____

  [hidden email] <http://mc/compose?to=mapserver-users@...>

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Michael Schulz
[hidden email]

in medias res

Schwimmbadstraße 2
D-79100  Freiburg i. Br.

Tel:  +49 (0)761 705798-102
Tel:  +49 (0)761 705798-0
Fax: +49 (0)761 705798-09

http://www.webgis.de / http://www.zopecms.de

RE: displaying 3-band images

David Hildebrand

Jukka:

Here is the output from gdalinfo

Driver: GTiff/GeoTIFF

Files: Z:\AWiFS\initial_delivery\images\July.tif

       Z:\AWiFS\initial_delivery\images\July.aux

       Z:\AWiFS\initial_delivery\images\July.rrd

Size is 26864, 20154

Coordinate System is:

LOCAL_CS[]

Origin = (-701343.999999998950000,711367.999999999190000)

Pixel Size = (55.999999999999915,-55.999999999999950)

Metadata:

  AREA_OR_POINT=Area

  TIFFTAG_XRESOLUTION=100

  TIFFTAG_YRESOLUTION=100

Image Structure Metadata:

  INTERLEAVE=BAND

Corner Coordinates:

Upper Left  ( -701344.000,  711368.000)

Lower Left  ( -701344.000, -417256.000)

Upper Right (  803040.000,  711368.000)

Lower Right (  803040.000, -417256.000)

Center      (   50848.000,  147056.000)

Band 1 Block=26864x1 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Red

  Min=0.000 Max=255.000

  Minimum=0.000, Maximum=255.000, Mean=48.345, StdDev=55.880

  Overviews: 6716x5039, 3358x2520, 1679x1260, 840x630, 420x315, 210x158, 105x79, 53x40

  Metadata:

    STATISTICS_MINIMUM=0

    STATISTICS_MAXIMUM=255

    STATISTICS_MEAN=48.345449373874

    STATISTICS_MEDIAN=4.8562875856817e-167

    STATISTICS_MODE=1.5919265163982e+244

    STATISTICS_STDDEV=55.880036995387

    LAYER_TYPE=athematic

Band 2 Block=26864x1 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Green

  Min=0.000 Max=255.000

  Minimum=0.000, Maximum=255.000, Mean=17.392, StdDev=33.316

  Overviews: 6716x5039, 3358x2520, 1679x1260, 840x630, 420x315, 210x158, 105x79, 53x40

  Metadata:

    STATISTICS_MINIMUM=0

    STATISTICS_MAXIMUM=255

    STATISTICS_MEAN=17.392222305608

    STATISTICS_MEDIAN=4.8562875856817e-167

    STATISTICS_MODE=1.5919265163982e+244

    STATISTICS_STDDEV=33.315967583066

    LAYER_TYPE=athematic

Band 3 Block=26864x1 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Blue

  Min=0.000 Max=255.000

  Minimum=0.000, Maximum=255.000, Mean=24.741, StdDev=36.606

  Overviews: 6716x5039, 3358x2520, 1679x1260, 840x630, 420x315, 210x158, 105x79, 53x40

  Metadata:

    STATISTICS_MINIMUM=0

    STATISTICS_MAXIMUM=255

    STATISTICS_MEAN=24.74071367083

    STATISTICS_MEDIAN=4.8562875856817e-167

    STATISTICS_MODE=1.5919265163982e+244

    STATISTICS_STDDEV=36.605847882772

    LAYER_TYPE=athematic

===========================

From: Brent Fraser <[hidden email]>

To: "David Hildebrand" <[hidden email]>

Cc: [hidden email]

Date: Tuesday, December 7, 2010, 10:02 AM

[...]

mapserver-users mailing list

  [hidden email] <http://mc/compose?to=[hidden email]>

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Michael Schulz

[hidden email]

in medias res

Schwimmbadstraße 2

D-79100  Freiburg i. Br.

Tel:  +49 (0)761 705798-102

Tel:  +49 (0)761 705798-0

Fax: +49 (0)761 705798-09

http://www.webgis.de / http://www.zopecms.de

Geschäftsführer: Stefan Giese, Dr. Christof Lindenbeck

Eingetragen im Handelsregister HRB 5930 beim Amtsgericht Freiburg

RE: displaying 3-band images

David Hildebrand

Jukka:

For now I am making a simple Mapserver CGI call (http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=MSTEST&layer=awifs&mode=map).  This URL works for other raster layers but I have only had single-band images so far.  In all cases the final map is in a projection different from the layer projection.  Incidentally, when I point to a data source which I know does not exist I get the same behavior (no image and no error) even when I use CONFIG "ON_MISSING_DATA" "FAIL" in my map file.

Thanks for your help.

===========================

David V. Hildebrand

Agriculture Financial Services Corporation

(403) 782-8239

www.afsc.ca <http://www.afsc.ca>

This communication is intended for the use of the recipient to which it is addressed, and may contain confidential, personal and/or privileged information. Please contact Agriculture Financial Services Corporation immediately if you are not the intended recipient of this communication, and do not copy, distribute, or take action relying on it. Any communication received in error, or subsequent reply, should be deleted or destroyed. Please consider the environment before printing this email.

Re: displaying 3-band images

Brent Fraser
David,

   It sounds like image registration / coordinate system definition problem.  While it is not necessary for the image to have a coordinate system defined (e.g as a geotiff tag) sine you can specify it in the LAYER portion of the map file, I think it does need image registration information, either as geotiff tags or in a .tfw (or .wld) file.  Specifying the EXTENT in the map file is only a layer "hint" to mapserver, it does not specify the image registration.

  I could be wrong; mayby there have been enhancements to use the EXTENT or METADATA information.

What are your parameters for EPSG:43001?
Best Regards,
Brent Fraser

On 12/9/2010 3:13 PM, David Hildebrand wrote:

[...]

To all:

I discovered the problem which actually had a very simple solution.  My DATA path was incorrect.  The data resides on another file server and I had incorrectly specified the UNC path.