display charts and graphics with QGIS

David Epstein
Hi,

I am trying to use pie and bar graphs to summarize data. I have
generated extra columns to feed these graphics through postgreSQL. At
first I used GRASS d.vect.chart to show the charts. You apparently need
to manually clear the display window and reload all the layers as you
experiment with size and color. It is frustrating (and a bit archaic). I
imagine that creating and placing the legend will be equally tough.

Is there an easier way to do this in QGIS and to generate a
corresponding legend? And if not--any suggestions?

Thank you for the help,
-david

PS: I did try to look through the GRASS tools for a QGIS version of
d.vect.chart but was not able to open them--which lead to a separate
post to this list just moments ago...

Re: display charts and graphics with QGIS

doktoreas
On Feb 3, 2008 3:04 PM, David Epstein <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I am trying to use pie and bar graphs to summarize data. I have
> generated extra columns to feed these graphics through postgreSQL. At
> first I used GRASS d.vect.chart to show the charts. You apparently need
> to manually clear the display window and reload all the layers as you
> experiment with size and color. It is frustrating (and a bit archaic). I
> imagine that creating and placing the legend will be equally tough.
>
> Is there an easier way to do this in QGIS and to generate a
> corresponding legend? And if not--any suggestions?
>
> Thank you for the help,
> -david
>
> PS: I did try to look through the GRASS tools for a QGIS version of
> d.vect.chart but was not able to open them--which lead to a separate
> post to this list just moments ago...

Hi,
Take a look at the R python plugin for Qgis:
http://www.maths.lancs.ac.uk/~rowlings/Software/Spqr/

Bye
Luca

Re: display charts and graphics with QGIS

Hugentobler  Marco
Hi David,

Do you mean a pie and bar chart for every feature on the map? There is some
work in the diagram-branch that allows generating pie- and bar diagrams on
maps. It is not finished completely and thus not in trunk, but can already be
used. Check out the branch with:

svn co https://svn.qgis.org/repos/qgis/branches/diagram-branch

In the branch, open the plugin manager and select the 'diagram overlay'
plugin. After this, there is a new tab in the vector layer properties dialog
where the settings for diagrams may be entered.

Regards,
Marco

Am Sonntag 03 Februar 2008 15:04:17 schrieb David Epstein:

> Hi,
>

> I am trying to use pie and bar graphs to summarize data. I have
> generated extra columns to feed these graphics through postgreSQL. At
> first I used GRASS d.vect.chart to show the charts. You apparently need
> to manually clear the display window and reload all the layers as you
> experiment with size and color. It is frustrating (and a bit archaic). I
> imagine that creating and placing the legend will be equally tough.
>
> Is there an easier way to do this in QGIS and to generate a
> corresponding legend? And if not--any suggestions?
>
> Thank you for the help,
> -david
>
> PS: I did try to look through the GRASS tools for a QGIS version of
> d.vect.chart but was not able to open them--which lead to a separate
> post to this list just moments ago...

Dr. Marco Hugentobler
Institute of Cartography
ETH Zurich

Re: display charts and graphics with QGIS

maning sambale

> Hi,
> Take a look at the R python plugin for Qgis:
> http://www.maths.lancs.ac.uk/~rowlings/Software/Spqr/

Whoa! This is cool!  Can't wait to have this in the main.

Re: display charts and graphics with QGIS

John Abraham
I have this need as well.   I am also unable to find d.vect.chart in QGIS's grass plugin menu.  I've downloaded the diagram branch https://svn.qgis.org/repos/qgis/branches/diagram-branch
but am a java programmer using eclipse, so all this cmake and make stuff
and other c++ dependency confuses me, especially on windows.

How can I confirm the capabilities in the branch?  Do I have to browse the code?  I would like to be able to figure out whether this is going to solve me problem before (re)figuring out how to build c++ projects!

Has anyone had d.vect.chart working with QGIS?

John Abraham
jabraham@ucalgary.ca
davideps wrote