digitizing in qgis: add another line from a vertex

digitizing in qgis: add another line from a vertex

maning sambale
Hi,

Using qgis digitizing tool, I am unable to add a new line from a
vertex of another line.  Is this possible?  Using the grass plugin for
v.digit can solve this but I want to maximize using the the native
qgis digitizing tool.

maning

--
|---------|----------------------------------------------------------|
| __.-._  |"Ohhh. Great warrior. Wars not make one great." -Yoda     |

Re: digitizing in qgis: add another line from a vertex

Otto Dassau
Hi,

I don't know if understand your problem correctly, but you probably need to
define a snapping tolerance in "settings -> Project Properties -> General.

Regards,
 Otto

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 14:42:02 +0800
"maning sambale" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Using qgis digitizing tool, I am unable to add a new line from a
> vertex of another line.  Is this possible?  Using the grass plugin for
> v.digit can solve this but I want to maximize using the the native
> qgis digitizing tool.
>
> maning

Re: digitizing in qgis: add another line from a vertex

maning sambale
I have created a new line (river) and then I want to connect another
segment from a river intersection to a stream.

--------------x----------------x----------------  river

          stream

I already define snapping tolerance and it does snap to the the vertex
but it doesn't connect to the other segment.  It creates a new line
not connected to the other line.

maning

--
|---------|----------------------------------------------------------|
| __.-._  |"Ohhh. Great warrior. Wars not make one great." -Yoda     |
| '-._"7' |"Freedom is still the most radical idea of all" -N.Branden|
|  /'.-c  |Linux registered user #402901, http://counter.li.org/     |
|  |  /T  |http://esambale.wikispaces.com|
| _)_/LI  |http://www.geocities.com/esambale/philbiodivmap/philbirds.html   |
|---------|----------------------------------------------------------|

Re: digitizing in qgis: add another line from a vertex

Otto Dassau
Hi Maning,

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 14:57:38 +0800
"maning sambale" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have created a new line (river) and then I want to connect another
> segment from a river intersection to a stream.
>
> --------------x----------------x----------------  river
>           stream
>
> I already define snapping tolerance and it does snap to the the vertex
> but it doesn't connect to the other segment.  It creates a new line
> not connected to the other line.

still not sure about it: you have a line "stream" and a line "river" and you
want to connect these two lines with another one? I tried with the river shape
of the qgis dataset and if there are vertices on both line, there should be
no problem to connect them. For me the new line snaps (connects) to both, river
and stream.

If this is the problem, what qgis version do you work with?

 Otto

> maning
>
> On 11/23/07, Otto Dassau <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I don't know if understand your problem correctly, but you probably need to
> > define a snapping tolerance in "settings -> Project Properties -> General.
> >
> > Regards,
> >  Otto
> >
> > On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 14:42:02 +0800
> > "maning sambale" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Using qgis digitizing tool, I am unable to add a new line from a
> > > vertex of another line.  Is this possible?  Using the grass plugin for
> > > v.digit can solve this but I want to maximize using the the native
> > > qgis digitizing tool.
> > >
> > > maning

Re: digitizing in qgis: add another line from a vertex

maning sambale
> you have a line "stream" and a line "river" and you want to connect these two lines with another one?

That's what I want to do.  I tried it last night but it doesn't work
the way you described it.  I don't have access to qgis right now but
will try again tonight.

I'm using titan 0.8.1 from jachym's ubuntu feisty repo.

--
|---------|----------------------------------------------------------|
| __.-._  |"Ohhh. Great warrior. Wars not make one great." -Yoda     |
| '-._"7' |"Freedom is still the most radical idea of all" -N.Branden|
|  /'.-c  |Linux registered user #402901, http://counter.li.org/     |
|  |  /T  |http://esambale.wikispaces.com|
| _)_/LI  |http://www.geocities.com/esambale/philbiodivmap/philbirds.html   |
|---------|----------------------------------------------------------|

Re: digitizing in qgis: add another line from a vertex

Otto Dassau
On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 15:25:54 +0800
"maning sambale" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > you have a line "stream" and a line "river" and you want to connect these
> > two lines with another one?
>
> That's what I want to do.  I tried it last night but it doesn't work
> the way you described it.  I don't have access to qgis right now but
> will try again tonight.
>
> I'm using titan 0.8.1 from jachym's ubuntu feisty repo.

ok, I tried with todays svn. You could try the 0.9.0 packages, if it doesn't
work on 0.8.1:

http://gisalaska.com/qgis/downloads.rhtml

regards,
 Otto

> maning
>
> On 11/23/07, Otto Dassau <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi Maning,
> >
> > On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 14:57:38 +0800
> > "maning sambale" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > I have created a new line (river) and then I want to connect another
> > > segment from a river intersection to a stream.
> > >
> > > --------------x----------------x----------------  river
> > >           stream
> > >
> > > I already define snapping tolerance and it does snap to the the vertex
> > > but it doesn't connect to the other segment.  It creates a new line
> > > not connected to the other line.
> >
> > still not sure about it: you have a line "stream" and a line "river" and you
> > want to connect these two lines with another one? I tried with the river
> > shape
> > of the qgis dataset and if there are vertices on both line, there should be
> > no problem to connect them. For me the new line snaps (connects) to both,
> > river
> > and stream.
> >
> > If this is the problem, what qgis version do you work with?
> >
> >  Otto
> >
> > > maning

> > General.

Re: digitizing in qgis: add another line from a vertex

maning sambale
Thanks!  Would love to upgrade to 0.9 but maybe not right now.  I have
a couple of qgis project files with Titan and these project files
cannot be used with Ganymede (tried it in another machine).  Also my
students are using 8.0 on a LiveCD.

cheers,

--