density maps

miblon
Hi there folks,

I am currently investigating the open source options for generating
density maps. I currently have some php code that could form the bases
to do this, but I would prefer to use more general available api's such
as geotools if that would be possible.

 From a j2ee developers point of view; I am looking for functionality
that I can feed with a dataset of irregular point(jts) geometry and that
will generate a layer like the one shown here:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ZSuJiQ9ztA8/SmIM9yD-tYI/AAAAAAAABlM/FOyoqcie7Cc/s1600-h/Shootings+heat+map+Baltimore+July+2009.jpg

or

http://rbnhw.com/media/epp-ShakeProbability.jpg

preferably, the image should be georeferenced so it can be handled as
wms, but the latter I can fix.

Any ideas or references on where to look would be great!

kind regards,

Milo van der Linden

Re: density maps

mentaer
java.. then have a look at the Sextante library. It has a density and
kernel density function. It can be used with geotools and from gvSIG and
has connectors to OpenJUMP.

I lately worked on improving the function a bit (though - everything
local by now).

stefan

miblon schrieb:

> Hi there folks,
>
> I am currently investigating the open source options for generating
> density maps. I currently have some php code that could form the bases
> to do this, but I would prefer to use more general available api's such
> as geotools if that would be possible.
>
>  From a j2ee developers point of view; I am looking for functionality
> that I can feed with a dataset of irregular point(jts) geometry and that
> will generate a layer like the one shown here:
>
> http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ZSuJiQ9ztA8/SmIM9yD-tYI/AAAAAAAABlM/FOyoqcie7Cc/s1600-h/Shootings+heat+map+Baltimore+July+2009.jpg
>

> or
>
> http://rbnhw.com/media/epp-ShakeProbability.jpg
>
> preferably, the image should be georeferenced so it can be handled as
> wms, but the latter I can fix.
>
> Any ideas or references on where to look would be great!
>
> kind regards,
>
> Milo van der Linden

Re: density maps

Alex Mandel-2
miblon wrote:

> Hi there folks,
>
> I am currently investigating the open source options for generating
> density maps. I currently have some php code that could form the bases
> to do this, but I would prefer to use more general available api's such
> as geotools if that would be possible.
>
> From a j2ee developers point of view; I am looking for functionality
> that I can feed with a dataset of irregular point(jts) geometry and that
> will generate a layer like the one shown here:
>
> http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ZSuJiQ9ztA8/SmIM9yD-tYI/AAAAAAAABlM/FOyoqcie7Cc/s1600-h/Shootings+heat+map+Baltimore+July+2009.jpg
>

> or
>
> http://rbnhw.com/media/epp-ShakeProbability.jpg
>
> preferably, the image should be georeferenced so it can be handled as
> wms, but the latter I can fix.
>
> Any ideas or references on where to look would be great!
>
> kind regards,
>
> Milo van der Linden

I believe this implementation is done with Postgis & not sure what else
http://www.walkscore.com/rankings/San_Francisco

The creator of that site lurks here too, and I can put you in contact
for the specifics.

Alex

RE: density maps

Andy Turner
Hi,

I developed some code that would do this. I called it Geographically Weighted Statistics and it relies on another library I developed called Grids. You can find these via the following URLs:
http://www.geog.leeds.ac.uk/people/a.turner/src/andyt/java/gws/
http://www.geog.leeds.ac.uk/people/a.turner/src/andyt/java/grids/

Best wishes,

Andy
http://www.geog.leeds.ac.uk/people/a.turner/

> I am currently investigating the open source options for generating
> density maps. I currently have some php code that could form the bases
> to do this, but I would prefer to use more general available api's such
> as geotools if that would be possible.
>
> From a j2ee developers point of view; I am looking for functionality
> that I can feed with a dataset of irregular point(jts) geometry and that
> will generate a layer like the one shown here:
>
> http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ZSuJiQ9ztA8/SmIM9yD-tYI/AAAAAAAABlM/FOyoqcie7Cc/s1600-h/Shootings+heat+map+Baltimore+July+2009.jpg
>

> or
>
> http://rbnhw.com/media/epp-ShakeProbability.jpg
>
> preferably, the image should be georeferenced so it can be handled as
> wms, but the latter I can fix.
>
> Any ideas or references on where to look would be great!
>
> kind regards,
>
> Milo van der Linden
I believe this implementation is done with Postgis & not sure what else
http://www.walkscore.com/rankings/San_Francisco

The creator of that site lurks here too, and I can put you in contact
for the specifics.

Alex

Re: density maps

pcav

Youa can also do that easily with QGIS and/or GRASS.

Re: density maps

A. Shore
Milo, re " ...  I currently have some php code that  ..."

I'm collecting (scavenging!) PHP code taht will help me put together a rather lightweight PHP-based tile capability, without relying on any of the geo servers that are available.

So if yr code might help me in this, any bits, snippets, files  you might send offline to me at shoreas at gmail.com  wd be greatly appreciated.  Thanks,

A. Shore
Annapolis, MD