d.rast.multi ?

ychemin
I am dealing with hourly Microwave data that are not covering the
whole World in each layer.

To have a decent presentation map of the data, I'd like to get a set
(say 30-50 layers) displayed in one go.

OK I could do it with the png driver in a script (which is what it may
eventually become), but for the sake of knowledge, is there a GUI
option to load a (rather large) set of images in one block without
having to struggle with a cluttered GIS Manager?

Thanks
Yann

--
Yann Chemin
Researcher@IWMI

Re: d.rast.multi ?

ychemin
OK found Ctrl+Shift+L in wxGUI

Thanks !
Yann

--
Yann Chemin
Researcher@IWMI

Re: d.rast.multi ?

wenzeslaus
On 19 March 2013 09:31, Yann Chemin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> OK found Ctrl+Shift+L in wxGUI

Yes, it is my favorite feature. I use it even to find and add one map.

However, there is some issue with many layers in layer manager. If you
load more than 20 (?) layers (maps) only some of them will be
rendered. There were no investigations; maybe it applies only to
vectors. And, of course, it is slow.

> Thanks !
> Yann
>
> On 19 March 2013 13:56, Yann Chemin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I am dealing with hourly Microwave data that are not covering the
>> whole World in each layer.
>>
>> To have a decent presentation map of the data, I'd like to get a set
>> (say 30-50 layers) displayed in one go.
>>
>> OK I could do it with the png driver in a script (which is what it may
>> eventually become), but for the sake of knowledge, is there a GUI
>> option to load a (rather large) set of images in one block without
>> having to struggle with a cluttered GIS Manager?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Yann
>>
>> --
>> Yann Chemin
>> Researcher@IWMI
>> Skype/FB: yann.chemin
>

> --
> Yann Chemin
> Researcher@IWMI
> Skype/FB: yann.chemin

Re: d.rast.multi ?

Newcomb, Doug
Yann,
If I have a large number of layers, I usually do it from a command line or with a script.  I done r.patch with over 100 layers in one command ( before I discovered gdalbuildvirt :-))

Doug

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 4:36 AM, Vaclav Petras <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 19 March 2013 09:31, Yann Chemin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> OK found Ctrl+Shift+L in wxGUI

Yes, it is my favorite feature. I use it even to find and add one map.

However, there is some issue with many layers in layer manager. If you
load more than 20 (?) layers (maps) only some of them will be
rendered. There were no investigations; maybe it applies only to
vectors. And, of course, it is slow.

> Thanks !
> Yann
>
> On 19 March 2013 13:56, Yann Chemin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I am dealing with hourly Microwave data that are not covering the
>> whole World in each layer.
>>
>> To have a decent presentation map of the data, I'd like to get a set
>> (say 30-50 layers) displayed in one go.
>>
>> OK I could do it with the png driver in a script (which is what it may
>> eventually become), but for the sake of knowledge, is there a GUI
>> option to load a (rather large) set of images in one block without
>> having to struggle with a cluttered GIS Manager?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Yann
>>
>> --
>> Yann Chemin
>> Researcher@IWMI
>> Skype/FB: yann.chemin
>

> --
> Yann Chemin
> Researcher@IWMI
> Skype/FB: yann.chemin

Doug Newcomb
USFWS
Raleigh, NC
919-856-4520 ext. 14 [hidden email]
The opinions I express are my own and are not representative of the official policy of the U.S.Fish and Wildlife Service or Dept. of the Interior.   Life is too short for undocumented, proprietary data formats.

Re: d.rast.multi ?

ychemin
Thank you Doug,

yes r.patch is a good alternative, but it means writing to disk etc.
Was more thinking of a display memory thingy.

Been thinking about the virtual rasters indeed, maybe will have a
look, any C code page you could direct me to?

Cheers,
Yann

On 20 March 2013 03:01, Yann Chemin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> yes r.patch is a good alternative, but it means writing to disk etc.
> Was more thinking of a display memory thingy.

Unfortunately, in wxGUI maps are rendered to files (by d.* modules)
and then read to wxGUI. (That's probably why it is slow.)

Re: d.rast.multi ?

Newcomb, Doug
Yann,
About all I can recommend is the vrt format tutorial, http://www.gdal.org/gdal_vrttut.html, gdal,  data model http://www.gdal.org/gdal_datamodel.html, and driver tutorial,  http://www.gdal.org/gdal_drivertut.html  , etc in the gdal online documentation. You might look at the existing gdal/GRASS interface code. I'm not a C programmer yet, so I can't help much there.

Doug

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 10:01 PM, Yann Chemin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thank you Doug,

yes r.patch is a good alternative, but it means writing to disk etc.
Was more thinking of a display memory thingy.

Been thinking about the virtual rasters indeed, maybe will have a
look, any C code page you could direct me to?

Cheers,
Yann

On 20 March 2013 05:39, Newcomb, Doug <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yann,
> If I have a large number of layers, I usually do it from a command line or
> with a script.  I done r.patch with over 100 layers in one command ( before
> I discovered gdalbuildvirt :-))
>
> Doug
>

> On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 4:36 AM, Vaclav Petras <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 19 March 2013 09:31, Yann Chemin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > OK found Ctrl+Shift+L in wxGUI
>> >
>> Yes, it is my favorite feature. I use it even to find and add one map.
>>
>> However, there is some issue with many layers in layer manager. If you
>> load more than 20 (?) layers (maps) only some of them will be
>> rendered. There were no investigations; maybe it applies only to
>> vectors. And, of course, it is slow.
>>
>> > Thanks !
>> > Yann

>> > --
>> > Yann Chemin
>> > Researcher@IWMI
>> > Skype/FB: yann.chemin

> Doug Newcomb
> USFWS
> Raleigh, NC
> 919-856-4520 ext. 14 [hidden email]
> The opinions I express are my own and are not representative of the official
> policy of the U.S.Fish and Wildlife Service or Dept. of the Interior.   Life
> is too short for undocumented, proprietary data formats.

--
Yann Chemin
Researcher@IWMI
Skype/FB: yann.chemin

--
Doug Newcomb
USFWS
Raleigh, NC
919-856-4520 ext. 14 [hidden email]
The opinions I express are my own and are not representative of the official policy of the U.S.Fish and Wildlife Service or Dept. of the Interior.   Life is too short for undocumented, proprietary data formats.

Re: d.rast.multi ?

ychemin
Funny Doug, you nearly read my mind here... -> "gdal/GRASS interface code"

Thanks,
Yann