d.mon error...

Salah Benabdallah

I installed grass4.0 on a monochrome SPARC (while waiting for the color
ones)...and I got this error : 'Can't set up pipe to graphics device'.
Any suggestions.. Thanks

Salah Benabdallah (IRSIT)
e-mail: [hidden email]

==========================
This is the script file of the session:

Script started on Thu Apr 16 16:26:10 1992
ibnbatuta ~ 52 % d.mon
                    MONITOR MENU

Making sure that the graphics monitor is running

     1 - start a graphics monitor
     2 - stop a graphics monitor

Choosing a graphics monitor for your graphics

     3 - select a graphics device for output

RETURN - quit

> 3

Enter name of graphics monitor to select
Enter "list" for a list of known monitors
Enter "list -f" for a list with current status
Hit RETURN to return to menu
> sun
Error - Can't set up pipe to graphics device.

hit RETURN ->

Enter name of graphics monitor to select
Enter "list" for a list of known monitors
Enter "list -f" for a list with current status
Hit RETURN to return to menu

                    MONITOR MENU

Making sure that the graphics monitor is running

     1 - start a graphics monitor
     2 - stop a graphics monitor

Choosing a graphics monitor for your graphics

     3 - select a graphics device for output

RETURN - quit

> 1

Enter name of graphics monitor to start
Enter "list" for a list of known monitors
Enter "list -f" for a list with current status
Hit RETURN to return to menu
> sun
Sorry, </GRASS/Sun4/dev/fifo.12a> is not a fifo file
Have GRASS adminstrator check etc/monitorcap file
Error - Can't set up pipe to graphics device.
Problem selecting sun. Will try once more
Error - Can't set up pipe to graphics device.

hit RETURN ->
                    MONITOR MENU

Making sure that the graphics monitor is running

     1 - start a graphics monitor
     2 - stop a graphics monitor

Choosing a graphics monitor for your graphics

     3 - select a graphics device for output

RETURN - quit

script done on Thu Apr 16 16:26:51 1992

Re: d.mon error...

Michael Shapiro-3

|I installed grass4.0 on a monochrome SPARC (while waiting for the color
|ones)...and I got this error : 'Can't set up pipe to graphics device'.
|Any suggestions.. Thanks
|
|Sorry, </GRASS/Sun4/dev/fifo.12a> is not a fifo file
|Have GRASS adminstrator check etc/monitorcap file
|Error - Can't set up pipe to graphics device.

It seems that the file /GRASS/Sun4/dev/fifo.12a isn't really a fifo.
Try this:

        cd /GRASS/Sun4/dev
        rm -f fifo.12a fifo.12b
        mknod fifo.12a p