crunchy data silver sponsorship

jody.garnett
Quick update, Crunch Data has been added to our sponsors page as a Silver sponsor (based on foss4g-na and OSGeo community sprint sponsorship).
--
Jody Garnett

FOSS, OSGeo, FOSS4G and OSGeoLive 13

Brian M Hamlin

Dear Board of OSGeo, Project Steering Committee members, stakeholders, all --

  FOSS4G 2019 in Bucarest, Romania (one week from today) shows many, very positive signs, in particular for OSGeo dot org.  FOSS4G 2019 is a renewed opportunity for OSGeo dot org to build recognition and respect among a crowded and often competitive tech foundation world.

  The spotlight is ready to shine on OSGeo dot org, and I ask the Board and stakeholders, to renew their commitments to support both the OSI definition of Free Software and also, the GPL in its various forms [0].

 In the OSGeoLive Overview Presentation, the opening slide says :

  "OSGeoLive -- an Open Source, Geospatial GNU/Linux Distribution"

(it may be that there are legal assertions by the GNU / Free Software Foundation that affect this wording)  This line could be misunderstood to say, that OSGeoLive is a GPL project (!)  In contrast, the Debian project -- ironically not recognized by the Free Software Foundation [1] -- has very strict rules on publication contents, which are not always friendly to some OSI definitions. The contents and inclusion guidelines for OSGeoLive are not the same as the Debian project [2].

  I believe that there is wide agreement within OSGeo dot org community that both GPL and OSI definitions of software license have their places, and that it is worthwhile to make sure that partners and critics know that both approaches have a long-term support with OSGeo, and on OSGeoLive Linux.

  thanks and best regards from Berkeley, California        --Brian M Hamlin

[0] OSS is typically defined as software that can be accessed, used, modified, and shared by anyone. OSS is often distributed under licenses that comply with the definition of “Open Source” provided by the Open Source Initiative or meet the definition of “Free Software” provided by the Free Software Foundation.

[1] https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.en.html

[2] https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/

Re: FOSS, OSGeo, FOSS4G and OSGeoLive 13

jody.garnett
Thanks Brian, I take every opportunity to promote open source and free software (indeed I have an incubation committee presentation on just this topic).

I also would ask that we keep in min the *extra* that OSGeo demands of our own projects:
* Community Projects: be in a position to accept contributions
* OSGeo Projects: actually establish some form of open governance so additional parties can take part as equal partners

Aside: I cannot tell from your description if OSGeoLive tagline needs to change? Is the trouble that "Free Software" is not mentioned in the tagline/ Should it be "OSGeo Live - Open Source Geospatial Foundation Linux Distribution" or just "OSGeo Live - Linux for Mapping"
--
Jody Garnett

On Mon, 19 Aug 2019 at 08:54, Brian M Hamlin <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Brian I had a review of the osgeo incubation page text on this subject and have revised to the following:

> OSGeo respects projects that have chosen to go beyond an "open source" starting point and embrace "free software" ideals.  While not required for participation we recognize this level of commitment and offer "free software" projects our full support.

Does this match the balance of respect and support for free software you are seeking?