cropping / clipping portion of Geotiff file

cropping / clipping portion of Geotiff file

SteveN
I have a 380MB Geotiff file.   The file is a satellite image of a wilderness area.  The image covers a huge area and I would like to cut out just the portion of the wilderness area that I will be travelling in.  I hope to then get this image into my Delorme PN-60 GPS and coordinate the satellite image with a topo map of the same area.
I tried using uDig to crop the image but I couldn't figure out how to get it to work.  If anyone can help with this and/or has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks