creating shape files

Rick Lockhart
Hi there,

This should be an easy one I hope:

I'm wanting to create shape files (polygon shapes, line shapes, multi
point shapes) and simply wish to type in the desired lat and long
coordinates for each vertex or point. How do I type in my desired
vertex coordinates? I'm using the 'New Vector Layer' and 'Capture
Polygon' buttons to get a polygon shape going, but can't seem to see
where you type in your desired vertex coordinates.

(Using Quantum GIS 0.9.0 on a PowerPC Mac running OSX 10.4.10)

Thanks for the help,

Rick

Re: creating shape files

Tom Elwertowski
Rick Lockhart wrote:
> I'm wanting to create shape files (polygon shapes, line shapes, multi
> point shapes) and simply wish to type in the desired lat and long
> coordinates for each vertex or point. How do I type in my desired
> vertex coordinates? I'm using the 'New Vector Layer' and 'Capture
> Polygon' buttons to get a polygon shape going, but can't seem to see
> where you type in your desired vertex coordinates.

I don't think there is any way to enter points by typing text
coordinates. The usual use of 'New Vector Layer' is to first load a
raster layer map and then click on locations to create a vector overlay.

Since you already have text coordinates, another approach is to use a
text editor to create a MapInfo MIF file. This is a text format which
can be opened by QGIS thanks to the underlying GDAL/OGR library. You
could also use the ogr2ogr utility to convert it to some other format
after you create it.

Tom

Re: creating shape files

Maciej Sieczka - old
Tom Elwertowski wrote:

> Since you already have text coordinates, another approach is to use a
> text editor to create a MapInfo MIF file.

Or create a CSV and use the 'delimited text import' tool in
QGIS.

Maciek

Re: creating shape files

Maciej Sieczka - old
Rick Lockhart wrote:

>> Or create a CSV and use the 'delimited text import' tool in
>> QGIS.

> When I make a CSV file and use the 'delimited text import' tool, it
> creates a mulitpoint layer (separate points), which is fine when I need
> a multipoint layer, but is there a similar process for creating a polygon?

Right. I forgot that the plugin is for points only. In that
case Tom's suggestion looks most straighforward.

Maciek