creating hillshades

nishith datta-2
hi all,
I am using Qgis 0.9.0 Ganymede in windows.
I have downloaded a srtm geotiff dem from usgs glcf site.
I want to create  a hillshade map from it. I tried using the grass plugin. I imported the srtm into grass mapset as a raster ( used r.in.srtm)
Then I used r.shaded.relief but it creates an empty raster.
Can someone help me out ?!?!
Thanks
nishith

Re: creating hillshades

maning sambale
nishith,

Check the range of values of your SRTM raster  (usually between
+-32769).  You should probably need to limit the range of your map.

r.mapcalc ?

maning

--
|---------|----------------------------------------------------------|
| __.-._  |"Ohhh. Great warrior. Wars not make one great." -Yoda     |

Re: creating hillshades

Maciej Sieczka - old
maning sambale wrote:
> nishith,
>
> Check the range of values of your SRTM raster  (usually between
> +-32769).  You should probably need to limit the range of your map.

Are you sure you have set your region to match your SRTM
tile's extent first? See g.region manual.

GRASS specific questions are better asked at GRASS user
mailing list. And don't forget to search in archives before
asking a question.

Maciek

Re: creating hillshades

Otto Dassau
On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 15:20:39 +0100
Maciej Sieczka <[hidden email]> wrote:

> maning sambale wrote:
> > nishith,
> >
> > Check the range of values of your SRTM raster  (usually between
> > +-32769).  You should probably need to limit the range of your map.
>
> Are you sure you have set your region to match your SRTM
> tile's extent first? See g.region manual.

In the browser tab of the GRASS Toolbox in QGIS, there is an icon to adapt the
GRASS region to a selected raster map before creating the hillshades, maybe this
helps to get results.

 Otto