creating a ellipse

nishith datta-2
hi everyone,
I want to create a ellipsoidal buffer around a point .
I have the lat/longs of the point and the length of semimajor and semi minor axes in a text file.
How to create a buffer ellipse around the point.
Any suggestions ?
nishith

Re: creating a ellipse

Tim Sutton
Hi

Unless there is  grass tool for doing this (havent checked), there
isnt currenly a way to do this in QGIS beyond writing your own python
script.

Regards

Tim

2007/11/25, nishith datta <[hidden email]>:

> hi everyone,
> I want to create a ellipsoidal buffer around a point .
> I have the lat/longs of the point and the length of semimajor and semi minor
> axes in a text file.
> How to create a buffer ellipse around the point.
> Any suggestions ?
> nishith

Tim Sutton
QGIS Project Steering Committee Member - Release  Manager
Visit http://qgis.org for a great open source GIS
openModeller Desktop Developer
Visit http://openModeller.sf.net for a great open source ecological
niche modelling tool
Home Page: http://tim.linfiniti.com
Skype: timlinux
Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: creating a ellipse

Maciej Sieczka - old
Tim Sutton wrote:
> Hi
>
> Unless there is  grass tool for doing this (havent checked),

There's v.buffer. Will do just fine for buffering around
points. However, doublecheck the results when buffering more
complex shapes, polygons especially.

It is agreed among GRASS devs that it would be easier to
re-write v.buffer than fix it as it is currently. Volunteers
welcome.

Maciek

Re: creating a ellipse

Maciej Sieczka - old
Oh, and Nishith wanted an ellipsoidal buffer - in that case
v.buffer won't do.

I know Trevor Viens (can be reached him on GRASS lists) has
developed an ellipse-enabled version of v.buffer, but I
never saw it published.

Maciek

Re: creating a ellipse

nishith datta-2

Maciej Sieczka <[hidden email]> wrote:
nishith datta wrote:
> thanks ,
> but v.buffer creates a circle around the point.
> How to create a ellipse ? Is there something for that ?

I wrote another email in the thread yesterday. If you have
not received it check the online archives. And please don't
reply to priv - let others participate/benefit.

Maciek

Ok got it ! checking out the grass mailing list
thanks
nishith