create wms service with mapserver

rishe28

i am trying to create wms service using postgres data in mapserver my map file(wms.map) is

MAP EXTENT 8240841.450745 2400319.900386 9218007.463612 3107183.406947 TRANSPARENT on IMAGETYPE png size 150 500

web
    metadata

"wms_title" "Customer Airports" "wms_onlineresource" "http://localhost:8085/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?" "wms_enable_request" "*" "wms_srs" "EPSG:4326 EPSG:900913" "wms_feature_info_mime_type" "text/html" "wms_format" "image/png"

    end
end

LAYER CONNECTIONTYPE postgis
CONNECTION "user=postgres password=abcd dbname=sample port=5432 host=localhost" DATA "geom FROM district_old using unique gid"

STATUS Default
TYPE polygon

PROJECTION
      "init=epsg:900913"
END

labelitem 'district'

class
    style

        #color 55 230 51
        outlinecolor 90 90 90
        width 2
    end
    LABEL
        #color 255 255 255
        size 2
        BACKGROUNDCOLOR 255 201 14
        position auto
    END
end

END

END

in the browser when i paste the url "http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=c://ms4w/apps/webgis/wms.map&SERVICE=WMS&REQUEST=GetCapabilities"

it is not displaying the xml file instead it is downloading the mapserv.exe file

please correct my code also tell me the requirements to work with wms

Re: create wms service with mapserver

jmckenna
Administrator
On 2015-11-23 12:30 PM, rishi wrote:

> i am trying to create wms service using postgres data in mapserver my
> map file(wms.map) is
>
> MAP EXTENT 8240841.450745 2400319.900386 9218007.463612 3107183.406947
> TRANSPARENT on IMAGETYPE png size 150 500
>
> |web metadata |
>
> "wms_title" "Customer Airports" "wms_onlineresource"
> "http://localhost:8085/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?" "wms_enable_request" "*"
> "wms_srs" "EPSG:4326 EPSG:900913" "wms_feature_info_mime_type"
> "text/html" "wms_format" "image/png"
>
> |end end |
>
> LAYER CONNECTIONTYPE postgis
> CONNECTION "user=postgres password=abcd dbname=sample port=5432
> host=localhost" DATA "geom FROM district_old using unique gid"
>
> |STATUS Default TYPE polygon PROJECTION "init=epsg:900913" END labelitem
> 'district' class style #color 55 230 51 outlinecolor 90 90 90 width 2
> end LABEL #color 255 255 255 size 2 BACKGROUNDCOLOR 255 201 14 position
> auto END end |
>
> END
>
> END
>
> in the browser when i paste the url
> "http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=c://ms4w/apps/webgis/wms.map&SERVICE=WMS&REQUEST=GetCapabilities"
>
> it is not displaying the xml file instead it is downloading the
> mapserv.exe file
>
> please correct my code also tell me the requirements to work with wms

Try renaming the returned "mapserv.exe" file as "mapserv.xml" and open
it in a text editor.  You should be able to then read the
GetCapabilities response.

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/

Re: create wms service with mapserver

Jörg Thomsen

nothing went wrong. The problem under windows is, that apache(?) names the capabilities-document mapserv.exe. Save it, open it in an editor and see your capabilities!

Perhaps anyone reading this can tell us how to configure the windows-instrallation, so that the capabilities-doc is not named .exe? I don't know.

Jörg

Am 23.11.2015 um 10:30 schrieb rishi:

[...]

jratike80

I guess that something went wrong but saving mapserv.exe into file and reading it with text editor is the right thing to do. Jörg and Jeff should have noticed that the GetCapabilities request was made without &VERSION which means the highest version 1.3.0 for Mapserver and then the normal GetCapabilities document will be sent with mime type that most browsers understand. Try it:

http://demo.mapserver.org/cgi-bin/wms?SERVICE=WMS&REQUEST=GetCapabilities

I may be wrong but I would rather believe that mapserv.exe contains an error message about unknown projection epsg:900913. Use epsg:3857 instead.  And I prefer using an explicit parameter &VERSION= always instead of relying on what version comes from the lottery when version in not defined in the query.

-Jukka Rahkonen-

Jörg Thomsen wrote:

Hi,

[...]

MS4W is ready for WMS but please tell us first what do you see when you opened the mapserv.exe file with a text editor.

-Jukka Rahkonen-

rishi wrote:

do i need to install anything related to wms in ms4w folder?

MapServer version 5.2.1

On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 3:52 PM, Rahkonen Jukka (MML) <[hidden email]> wrote:

I guess that something went wrong but saving mapserv.exe into file and reading it with text editor is the right thing to do. Jörg and Jeff should have noticed that the GetCapabilities request was made without &VERSION which means the highest version 1.3.0 for Mapserver and then the normal GetCapabilities document will be sent with mime type that most browsers understand. Try it:

http://demo.mapserver.org/cgi-bin/wms?SERVICE=WMS&REQUEST=GetCapabilities

I may be wrong but I would rather believe that mapserv.exe contains an error message about unknown projection epsg:900913. Use epsg:3857 instead.  And I prefer using an explicit parameter &VERSION= always instead of relying on what version comes from the lottery when version in not defined in the query.

-Jukka Rahkonen-

Jörg Thomsen wrote:

Hi,

[...]

There is nothing that is obviously wrong in your mapfile. Some suggestions:

-          Add debug 5 into your layer

-          Try to get a map with shp2img

-          Convert data from PostGIS into shapefile and use that as source data.

It seems that you have changed something in between because first you wrote “in the browser when i paste the url "http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=c://ms4w/apps/webgis/wms.map&SERVICE=WMS&REQUEST=GetCapabilities"

Now you write that this is the URL
(http://localhost:8085/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?mode=map&map=c://ms4w/apps/webgis/mp/wms.map),

-Jukka Rahkonen-

Re: create wms service with mapserver

jratike80

I do understand what you want to do  with GetCapabilities. What I tried to ask is why there is different path to the mapfile it the two requests:

map=c://ms4w/apps/webgis/wms.map

map=c://ms4w/apps/webgis/mp/wms.map

Is it just a typo, have you changed the location of  the mapfile, do you have two mapfiles in different places?

-Jukka-

rishi wrote:

On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 5:02 PM, Rahkonen Jukka (MML) <[hidden email]> wrote:

There is nothing that is obviously wrong in your mapfile. Some suggestions:

-          Add debug 5 into your layer

-          Try to get a map with shp2img

-          Convert data from PostGIS into shapefile and use that as source data.

It seems that you have changed something in between because first you wrote “in the browser when i paste the url "http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=c://ms4w/apps/webgis/wms.map&SERVICE=WMS&REQUEST=GetCapabilities"

Now you write that this is the URL
(http://localhost:8085/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?mode=map&map=c://ms4w/apps/webgis/mp/wms.map),

-Jukka Rahkonen-

Re: create wms service with mapserver

jratike80

What do you get if you send just this:

http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=c://ms4w/apps/webgis/wms.map

Any chance that it is like this:

msProcessProjection(): Projection library error. proj error "no options found in 'init' file" for "init=epsg:900913"

-Jukka Rahkonen-