create features types dinamically

Javier de la Torre
Hi,

I was wondering how would be possible to create featuretypes directly,
without using the graphical configuration tool.

My idea is to create dynamically featuretypes that are available for a
short time trough geoserver. Therefore I was thinking in creating a
little script that is called from a web page and that does the
following

1) Create dynamically a view in a MySQL or postrgreSQL database.
2) create a feature type in Geoserver to serve this view as a featuretype

Then I will use this new featuretype for a short time as a WMS
service. To remove the view and the featuretype in Geoserver I suppose
I will set up a cron job that from time to time deletes this stuff.

Which files will I have to generate for Geoserver to make this WMS available?

Thanks.

Javier.

Re: create features types dinamically

Brent Owens
Feature types are defined by their info.xml files that you can find in
[geoserver]\data\featureTypes.
Each FeatureType has a folder and in that folder an info.xml file

You just need to create one of those files and GeoServer should pick it
up automatically.

Brent Owens
TOPP

Javier de la Torre wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I was wondering how would be possible to create featuretypes directly,
>without using the graphical configuration tool.
>
>My idea is to create dynamically featuretypes that are available for a
>short time trough geoserver. Therefore I was thinking in creating a
>little script that is called from a web page and that does the
>following
>
>1) Create dynamically a view in a MySQL or postrgreSQL database.
>2) create a feature type in Geoserver to serve this view as a featuretype
>
>Then I will use this new featuretype for a short time as a WMS
>service. To remove the view and the featuretype in Geoserver I suppose
>I will set up a cron job that from time to time deletes this stuff.
>
>Which files will I have to generate for Geoserver to make this WMS available?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Javier.

Re: create features types dinamically

Justin Deoliveira-3
Hi Javier,

I beleive you will have to modify with the WEB-INF/catalog.xml and
data/featureTypes directory to acheive this goal. But consider yourself
warned that this is not really something that is supported.

This is one of the current weaknesses of geoserver. One cannot change
the configuration without using the ui (which can be limiting) or
directly hacking the configuration files (which can be dangerous).

What I would like to see done is that the geoserver configuration be
published via JMX with an MBeanServer. The idea is still in the early
stages but this strikes me as a sane way to allow users to
programatically configure GeoServer.

-Justin

Javier de la Torre wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering how would be possible to create featuretypes directly,
> without using the graphical configuration tool.
>
> My idea is to create dynamically featuretypes that are available for a
> short time trough geoserver. Therefore I was thinking in creating a
> little script that is called from a web page and that does the
> following
>
> 1) Create dynamically a view in a MySQL or postrgreSQL database.
> 2) create a feature type in Geoserver to serve this view as a featuretype
>
> Then I will use this new featuretype for a short time as a WMS
> service. To remove the view and the featuretype in Geoserver I suppose
> I will set up a cron job that from time to time deletes this stuff.
>
> Which files will I have to generate for Geoserver to make this WMS available?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Javier.

Justin Deoliveira
The Open Planning Project
http://topp.openplans.org

RE: create features types dinamically

David Neufeld-2
Brent,

Would you have to force a reload of geoserver in the webapp (tomcat) in
order for geoserver to pick it up?

Cheers,
Dave

I checked just to create a new folder in the featureTypes folder and
modify the info.xml and seems that Geoserver does not realize
directly of this new featureType.

In the catalog.xml I dont see the need to modify anything in my case
because the table/view is in an existing datastore.

I don't see what is the problem for a programmer to modify the XML
configurations files, in fact, for me this looks the most versatile
way, pleople can add extensions, etc.

But seems that in any case Geoserver is not checking live for the
existence of new features types, but wait I only checked in the
capabilities... maybe they are there already! Ups not... it does not
appear in the capabilities neither is accessible through
describeFeature...

Javier.

On 09/12/2005, at 0:53, Justin Deoliveira wrote:

> Hi Javier,
>
> I beleive you will have to modify with the WEB-INF/catalog.xml and
> data/featureTypes directory to acheive this goal. But consider
> yourself warned that this is not really something that is supported.
>
> This is one of the current weaknesses of geoserver. One cannot
> change the configuration without using the ui (which can be
> limiting) or directly hacking the configuration files (which can be
> dangerous).
>
> What I would like to see done is that the geoserver configuration
> be published via JMX with an MBeanServer. The idea is still in the
> early stages but this strikes me as a sane way to allow users to
> programatically configure GeoServer.
>
> -Justin
>
> Javier de la Torre wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I was wondering how would be possible to create featuretypes
>> directly,
>> without using the graphical configuration tool.
>> My idea is to create dynamically featuretypes that are available
>> for a
>> short time trough geoserver. Therefore I was thinking in creating a
>> little script that is called from a web page and that does the
>> following
>> 1) Create dynamically a view in a MySQL or postrgreSQL database.
>> 2) create a feature type in Geoserver to serve this view as a
>> featuretype
>> Then I will use this new featuretype for a short time as a WMS
>> service. To remove the view and the featuretype in Geoserver I
>> suppose
>> I will set up a cron job that from time to time deletes this stuff.
>> Which files will I have to generate for Geoserver to make this WMS
>> available?
>> Thanks.
>> Javier.

> Justin Deoliveira
> The Open Planning Project
> http://topp.openplans.org

Re: create features types dinamically

Javier de la Torre
Right,

Reloading the app server it appears... pitty, I will have to think in
another strategy...

And also if you create a view of a table that has a geometry field
when you configure it in Geoserver it does not appear...

So... I have to figure out something else... I will post a message to
describe what I need to do and maybe someone have a better idea...

Javier.

On 09/12/2005, at 0:53, David Neufeld wrote:

> Brent,
>
> Would you have to force a reload of geoserver in the webapp
> (tomcat) in
> order for geoserver to pick it up?
>
> Cheers,
> Dave

I know that modifying the xml files directly is technically a viable way
to do it. My problem with it is that it is too verstatile. With direct
access programmers can hack in whatever they want. I dont see this
scaling too well. I mean it is kind of like updating your database by
directly manipulating the system tables.

There needs to be some measure control, even it is just an xml schema or
dtd document describing the legal format.

-Justin

Javier de la Torre wrote:

> I checked just to create a new folder in the featureTypes folder and
> modify the info.xml and seems that Geoserver does not realize  directly
> of this new featureType.
>
> In the catalog.xml I dont see the need to modify anything in my case
> because the table/view is in an existing datastore.
>
> I don't see what is the problem for a programmer to modify the XML
> configurations files, in fact, for me this looks the most versatile
> way, pleople can add extensions, etc.
>
> But seems that in any case Geoserver is not checking live for the
> existence of new features types, but wait I only checked in the
> capabilities... maybe they are there already! Ups not... it does not
> appear in the capabilities neither is accessible through
> describeFeature...
>
> Javier.
>
> On 09/12/2005, at 0:53, Justin Deoliveira wrote:
>
>> Hi Javier,
>>
>> I beleive you will have to modify with the WEB-INF/catalog.xml and
>> data/featureTypes directory to acheive this goal. But consider
>> yourself warned that this is not really something that is supported.
>>
>> This is one of the current weaknesses of geoserver. One cannot  change
>> the configuration without using the ui (which can be  limiting) or
>> directly hacking the configuration files (which can be  dangerous).
>>
>> What I would like to see done is that the geoserver configuration  be
>> published via JMX with an MBeanServer. The idea is still in the  early
>> stages but this strikes me as a sane way to allow users to
>> programatically configure GeoServer.
>>
>> -Justin
>>
>> Javier de la Torre wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I was wondering how would be possible to create featuretypes  directly,
>>> without using the graphical configuration tool.
>>> My idea is to create dynamically featuretypes that are available  for a
>>> short time trough geoserver. Therefore I was thinking in creating a
>>> little script that is called from a web page and that does the
>>> following
>>> 1) Create dynamically a view in a MySQL or postrgreSQL database.
>>> 2) create a feature type in Geoserver to serve this view as a
>>> featuretype
>>> Then I will use this new featuretype for a short time as a WMS
>>> service. To remove the view and the featuretype in Geoserver I  suppose
>>> I will set up a cron job that from time to time deletes this stuff.
>>> Which files will I have to generate for Geoserver to make this WMS
>>> available?
>>> Thanks.
>>> Javier.
>>

>> --
>> Justin Deoliveira
>> The Open Planning Project
>> http://topp.openplans.org

Justin Deoliveira
The Open Planning Project
http://topp.openplans.org

RE: create features types dinamically

David Neufeld-2
Javier,

Another potential approach which I tested in mapserver but have not yet
tested in geoserver is to register a postgis layer let's say "collections"
and give it a column for storing a unique temp value.

Perform inserts into the collections layer either directly using jdbc or
using geoserver's WFS and assign each record with the unique value from
above.

Next (and this is the part I'm fuzzy on whether it will work in geoserver)
is to dynamically write out the sld with a filter on the temp value and
request the layer with sld style via wms.  Still need to have a cleanup
process somewhere.

It's a hack but might work...

cheers,
Dave

P.s let me know if you want the SLD file writer class...

Chris Holmes-2

> > Javier de la Torre wrote:
> > >
> > > I checked just to create a new folder in the featureTypes folder
> and
> > > modify the info.xml and seems that Geoserver does not realize
> directly
> > > of this new featureType.
You need to tell GeoServer to reload the catalog after you do this.
Alessio had an idea for an 'ingestion engine' that would automatically
pick up changes in the file strutcture, but it's not there yet.  To do
the reload see:
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOSDOC/Alternative+for+reloading+the+Geoserver+catalog

But yes, the configuration stuff is in need of a nice refactoring.  It's
too dependant on files, we should be able to load from a db and the
like.  Note you can also modify the DTO objects directly as well, I
believe that's actually a better way to go, as that's what they were
designed for, to have alternate configuration tools just pass the
objects over the wire.  It's how the web admin tool actually works, it
creates the DTO objects and then passes to GeoServer core for a reload.
 We just need some tutorials on how to do it.  Justin, maybe you could
take a look into doing that?  I think the process might not be too bad,
but even if you decide it's too much, it'll be good experience for how
the next config should be able to be loaded programatically.  I _think_
you should be able to just create a new featureType DTO - it may need
some additional creation methods, a factory for default dtos or some
such, to make sure all the fields are filled out properly, maybe to do
some validation, to load the bbox dynamically and all.

Chris

> > > In the catalog.xml I dont see the need to modify anything in my
> case
> > > because the table/view is in an existing datastore.
> > >
> > > I don't see what is the problem for a programmer to modify the
> XML
> > > configurations files, in fact, for me this looks the most
> versatile
> > > way, pleople can add extensions, etc.
> > >
> > > But seems that in any case Geoserver is not checking live for the
> > > existence of new features types, but wait I only checked in the
> > > capabilities... maybe they are there already! Ups not... it does
> not
> > > appear in the capabilities neither is accessible through
> > > describeFeature...
> > >
> > > Javier.

> and
> supported.

> change
> or
> dangerous).

> configuration  be
> early

> > directly,
> available  for
> creating a
> database.
> > suppose
> stuff.
> WMS
> through
> makes
> > SPLUNK!

> through log
> > > files
> > > for problems?  Stop!  Download the new AJAX search engine that
> makes
> > > searching your log files as easy as surfing the  web.  DOWNLOAD
> SPLUNK!
> > >

> > --
> > Justin Deoliveira
> > The Open Planning Project
> > http://topp.openplans.org

> log
> > files
> > for problems?  Stop!  Download the new AJAX search engine that
> makes
> > searching your log files as easy as surfing the  web.  DOWNLOAD
> SPLUNK!

Re: create features types dinamically

Javier de la Torre
Hi Justin,

Yes, I think an XML schema would be great... and for better security
Geoserver could try to validate before loading it, but I think XML is
a good way to access to the program config files.

Something cool would be that  geoserver checks every-time it receives
a request if there is any modification, or there are new, in those
files.

I think people accessing the XML files will be kind of  "advance
users" so I don't see the security problem there, and if Geoserver is
not able to understand the files it can always return an exception.
In fact, is there anything bad someone can do by modifying the XML
files himself? Apart of breaking his own configuration of course.

Well, just  some thoughts...

Javier.

On 09/12/2005, at 2:06, Justin Deoliveira wrote:

> Hi Javier,
>
> I know that modifying the xml files directly is technically a
> viable way to do it. My problem with it is that it is too
> verstatile. With direct access programmers can hack in whatever
> they want. I dont see this scaling too well. I mean it is kind of
> like updating your database by directly manipulating the system
> tables.
>
> There needs to be some measure control, even it is just an xml
> schema or dtd document describing the legal format.
>
> -Justin
>
> Javier de la Torre wrote:
>> I checked just to create a new folder in the featureTypes folder
>> and  modify the info.xml and seems that Geoserver does not
>> realize  directly of this new featureType.
>> In the catalog.xml I dont see the need to modify anything in my
>> case  because the table/view is in an existing datastore.
>> I don't see what is the problem for a programmer to modify the
>> XML  configurations files, in fact, for me this looks the most
>> versatile  way, pleople can add extensions, etc.
>> But seems that in any case Geoserver is not checking live for the
>> existence of new features types, but wait I only checked in the
>> capabilities... maybe they are there already! Ups not... it does
>> not  appear in the capabilities neither is accessible through
>> describeFeature...
>> Javier.
>> On 09/12/2005, at 0:53, Justin Deoliveira wrote:
>>> Hi Javier,
>>>
>>> I beleive you will have to modify with the WEB-INF/catalog.xml
>>> and  data/featureTypes directory to acheive this goal. But
>>> consider  yourself warned that this is not really something that
>>> is supported.
>>>
>>> This is one of the current weaknesses of geoserver. One cannot
>>> change the configuration without using the ui (which can be
>>> limiting) or directly hacking the configuration files (which can
>>> be  dangerous).
>>>
>>> What I would like to see done is that the geoserver
>>> configuration  be published via JMX with an MBeanServer. The idea
>>> is still in the  early stages but this strikes me as a sane way
>>> to allow users to  programatically configure GeoServer.
>>>
>>> -Justin

>>> --
>>> Justin Deoliveira
>>> The Open Planning Project
>>> http://topp.openplans.org

> Justin Deoliveira
> The Open Planning Project
> http://topp.openplans.org

Saving configuration

Aaron Craig-2

Re: create features types dinamically

Justin Deoliveira-3
I think the configuration stuff is in need of a bit more then a little
refactoring. The DTO system is pretty hard to use as one piece of
information is duplicated in multiple places. That being said there
might be a quick and dirty way to do it. I will look into the possiblities.

-Justin

Chris Holmes wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>>directly,

>>available  for

>>creating a

>>database.

>>>suppose

>>stuff.

>>WMS

>>through

>>makes

>>>SPLUNK!

>>through log

>>makes

>>SPLUNK!

>>>--
>>>Justin Deoliveira
>>>The Open Planning Project
>>>http://topp.openplans.org

>>log
>>
>>>files
>>>for problems?  Stop!  Download the new AJAX search engine that
>>
>>makes
>>
>>>searching your log files as easy as surfing the  web.  DOWNLOAD

A schema would be a step up, but I am still against the direct
manipulation of the xml. As a programmer I like to deal with objects. I
dont want to spend time parsing an XML file, or building up a DOM, I
would rather just attack an object model directly.

What I would like to see is a set of interfaces on the configuration
objects which expose their "managable attributes" (MBeans in JMX speak).
That way I can write a java program that connects to the server and
performs the RMI lookup. With a reference to the object setting
configuration values is as simple as calling a method.

-Justin

--
Justin Deoliveira
The Open Planning Project

Re: Saving configuration

Brent Owens
Hi Aaron,

The save button should be doing it. What part of Geoserver are you
editing, and what version are you using?

Brent Owens
TOPP

Re: Saving configuration

Aaron Craig-2

Re: Saving configuration

dblasby
You have to do an "appy" then a "save".

If you dont "apply" then you havent actually modified the configuration.

dave

Re: Saving configuration

Brent Owens
Hi Aaron,

We have talked about this issue, so that when you hit the 'Submit'
button, the changes are automatically applied. Otherwise why have a
submit button? You usually want to see the changes right away.
We will be looking at this issue for version 1.3.1.

Brent Owens
TOPP

Re: create features types dinamically

Chris Holmes-3
On 12/9/05, Justin Deoliveira <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Javier,
>
> A schema would be a step up, but I am still against the direct
> manipulation of the xml. As a programmer I like to deal with objects. I
> dont want to spend time parsing an XML file, or building up a DOM, I
> would rather just attack an object model directly.

I think I disagree here.  I mean, we should have a very good object
model, and that should be the highest priority.  And any config should
be able to plug into it easily - the object model api should be easy
to program a gui or an xml input against.  But I think the XML should
be a first priority.  The biggest reason to me is all the scripting
type languages that people like to use.   Yes, a good object model is
great if you're doing java, but many of our users will likely be
admins who want to script stuff together.  If they can do xml, they'll
be a lot happier.  Eventually a SOAP and/or a REST api would be great,
but I'd put just an easy xml based one higher.  With a good schema of
course.  And it could be very good to use Jakarta Slide or some such
to do WebDAV for it, so that changes are picked up instantly, and
since there are many different inputs to WebDAV.  Basically we should
allow lots of nice lightweight ways into GeoServer, indeed we could
eventually open up more of the api a la MapServer, but do it through
nice web protocols instead of hacked in to the core.

Chris

> What I would like to see is a set of interfaces on the configuration
> objects which expose their "managable attributes" (MBeans in JMX speak).
> That way I can write a java program that connects to the server and
> performs the RMI lookup. With a reference to the object setting
> configuration values is as simple as calling a method.
>
> -Justin
>
> Javier de la Torre wrote:
> > Hi Justin,
> >
> > Yes, I think an XML schema would be great... and for better security
> > Geoserver could try to validate before loading it, but I think XML is  a
> > good way to access to the program config files.
> >
> > Something cool would be that  geoserver checks every-time it receives  a
> > request if there is any modification, or there are new, in those  files.
> >
> > I think people accessing the XML files will be kind of  "advance  users"
> > so I don't see the security problem there, and if Geoserver is  not able
> > to understand the files it can always return an exception.  In fact, is
> > there anything bad someone can do by modifying the XML  files himself?
> > Apart of breaking his own configuration of course.
> >
> > Well, just  some thoughts...
> >
> > Javier.
> >

> > On 09/12/2005, at 2:06, Justin Deoliveira wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Javier,
> >>
> >> I know that modifying the xml files directly is technically a  viable
> >> way to do it. My problem with it is that it is too  verstatile. With
> >> direct access programmers can hack in whatever  they want. I dont see
> >> this scaling too well. I mean it is kind of  like updating your
> >> database by directly manipulating the system  tables.
> >>
> >> There needs to be some measure control, even it is just an xml  schema
> >> or dtd document describing the legal format.
> >>
> >> -Justin

> >> --
> >> Justin Deoliveira
> >> The Open Planning Project
> >> http://topp.openplans.org
> >

> --
> Justin Deoliveira
> The Open Planning Project
> http://topp.openplans.org

Re: create features types dinamically

Javier de la Torre
Hi Chris,

Yes, I agree with you.
I just read a message from Albrech Weiser that want to do the same
thing as me, be able to automatically create feature types by
adapting the configuration files.
I am creating a basic PHP script that will allow people to upload
datasets that become available trough Geoserver temporarily. If the
only way to modify the configuration of geoserver is through Java
objects that will be difficult for me, if instead there is a way I
can tell Geoserver to easily reload config files then that will be
very easy.

Javier.

On 29/12/2005, at 23:02, Chris Holmes wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> Yes, I think an XML schema would be great... and for better security
>>> Geoserver could try to validate before loading it, but I think
>>> XML is  a
>>> good way to access to the program config files.
>>>
>>> Something cool would be that  geoserver checks every-time it
>>> receives  a
>>> request if there is any modification, or there are new, in those
>>> files.
>>>
>>> I think people accessing the XML files will be kind of  "advance
>>> users"
>>> so I don't see the security problem there, and if Geoserver is
>>> not able
>>> to understand the files it can always return an exception.  In
>>> fact, is
>>> there anything bad someone can do by modifying the XML  files
>>> himself?
>>> Apart of breaking his own configuration of course.

I can see where straight XML is pretty appealing, every language can
read and write it which makes it accessible to virtually any client. My
biggest concern is with backwards compatabilty. If something in the
config file structure changes (which due to the nature of the current
config is more then likley), all clients break immediatley. Using RMI or
some other remote object protocol gives us some flexibility as we can
change method implementations but still keep contracts the same,
changing the syntax of an XML file pretty much changes its "interface".

That being said with a schema in place and a method of performing
validation I could go this route as well.