correctly display utf-8 arrow-symbol

Reservoirdog
I converted several Texts (not Mtext) from AutoCAD DWG to a SQLite3-Database.
The Texts contain some UTF-8 symbols like diameter symbol, per mille symbol and arrow symbol.
On Mapguide I use normal Text style to display the Texts. All symbols are displayed correctly,
but not the arrow. Instead of the arrows, Mapguide only displays rectangles.
I tried several different text fonts to no success. I also tried the Mtext-Style, also no success.
Is there any trick, how I can display the right or left pointing arrows?
thx and regards, Chris.

Re: correctly display utf-8 arrow-symbol

RenoSun
Hi Reservoirdog,

I think the arrow features might be exported as points data? Therefore, MapGuide's default display those points with rectangle icon I assume. Will it be easier just import the new left/right arrow symbols for the point feature instead of using rectangle?

Re: correctly display utf-8 arrow-symbol

Reservoirdog
Hi,

Thx for your answer. Sure, texts from DWG are represented as points.
In Studio/Maestro you use the text style with an attribute "text_string" as text.
All the texts are displayed correctly, even the diameter/per mill symbols are working, but
the arrows (which should indicate flow direction) are not working. Instead of the correct
symbol (right pointing arrow, left pointing arrow) only rectangles are displayed...

Re: correctly display utf-8 arrow-symbol

Hans Milling
The square can also mean that the unicode font used, does not have the specified character. Just like when people with an IOS device (iPhone) post emoticons native to IOS. On Windows and Android you see a rectangle with a cross, replacing the missing symbols.
Either you should use the same font as Autocad did for the arrows to work, or you need to replace the arrow character with a similar character from the font you use for the labels in MapGuide.
Arial font have the left and right arrow defined as:
U+2190: ←
U+2192: →
If you can update the column holding the arrow characters with those symbols, they should display correct in MapGuide.

Best regards Hans Milling...