convert from LatLong to transverse mercator LUREF

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

convert from LatLong to transverse mercator LUREF

Ulrich Leopold
Dear list,

I am new to the proj conversion tools and would appreciate very much if
someone could help me to solve my problem. I would like to convert geodetic
coordinates to a transverse mercator projection for Luxembourg.

I have the following coordinates:

Latitude: 49d34’17".60287N
Longitude: 5d55’50".69323E

And want to convert them into:

X (North) 70910.00
Y (East)  62935.00

I tried the following getting wrong results:

uleopold@azores:~> cs2cs -v +proj=latlong +to +proj=tmerc +units=m +ellps=intl
# ---- From Coordinate System ----
#Lat/long (Geodetic)
#
# +proj=latlong +ellps=WGS84
# ---- To Coordinate System ----
#Transverse Mercator
#       Cyl, Sph&Ell
# +proj=tmerc +units=m +ellps=intl
49d34'17".60287N 5d55'50".69323E
6370282.03      102889.65 -245.99


Could anybody tell me how to use cs2cs with all its options to receive the
worked out example above? Below is the information for the projection.

Cheers, Ulrich

This is the additional information for the projection:

1. National Datum Ellipsoid Parameters:

Semi-Major Axis  a (m) : 6378388 m
Semi-Minor Axis  b (m) : 6356911.946 m
Flattening 1/f : 1/297
Eccentricity e2 : 0.006768170197
Ellipsoid : HAYFORD INTERNATIONAL 1924
Fundamental point (Laplace-point): Habay-la-Neuve (Belgium)


2. Details of the Luxemburg Projection System:

Name : Projection Gauss Luxembourg
Generic Projection Type : Transverse Mercator

Projection Parameters :

Longitude of Central Meridian : 6° 10’ East of Greenwich
Central Meridian Scale Factor :  1
Longitude of Origin : 6° 10’ East of Greenwich
Latitude of Origin : 49° 50’ North of Equator

False Origin:
Position of False Easting :       80 000 m
Position of false Northing : 100 000 m
_______________________________________________
Proj mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.maptools.org/mailman/listinfo/proj
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: convert from LatLong to transverse mercator LUREF

Frank Warmerdam
On 10/18/05, Ulrich Leopold <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I am new to the proj conversion tools and would appreciate very much if
> someone could help me to solve my problem. I would like to convert geodetic
> coordinates to a transverse mercator projection for Luxembourg.
>
> I have the following coordinates:
>
> Latitude: 49d34'17".60287N
> Longitude: 5d55'50".69323E
>
> And want to convert them into:
>
> X (North) 70910.00
> Y (East)  62935.00

Ulrich,

cs2cs +proj=latlong +ellps=intl +to +proj=tmerc +x_0=80000 +y_0=100000
+lon_0=6d10 +lat_0=49d50 +ellps=intl +k=1
5d55'50.69 49d34'17.60
62934.93        70909.91 0.00

Seems like pretty good agreement.

> This is the additional information for the projection:
>
> 1. National Datum Ellipsoid Parameters:
>
> Semi-Major Axis  a (m) : 6378388 m
> Semi-Minor Axis  b (m) : 6356911.946 m
> Flattening 1/f : 1/297
> Eccentricity e2 : 0.006768170197
> Ellipsoid : HAYFORD INTERNATIONAL 1924
> Fundamental point (Laplace-point): Habay-la-Neuve (Belgium)
>
>
> 2. Details of the Luxemburg Projection System:
>
> Name : Projection Gauss Luxembourg
> Generic Projection Type : Transverse Mercator
>
> Projection Parameters :
>
> Longitude of Central Meridian : 6° 10' East of Greenwich
> Central Meridian Scale Factor :  1
> Longitude of Origin : 6° 10' East of Greenwich
> Latitude of Origin : 49° 50' North of Equator
>
> False Origin:
> Position of False Easting :       80 000 m
> Position of false Northing :     100 000 m

>


--
---------------------------------------+--------------------------------------
I set the clouds in motion - turn up   | Frank Warmerdam, [hidden email]
light and sound - activate the windows | http://pobox.com/~warmerdam
and watch the world go round - Rush    | Geospatial Programmer for Rent

_______________________________________________
Proj mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.maptools.org/mailman/listinfo/proj
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: convert from LatLong to transverse mercator LUREF

OvV_HN
In reply to this post by Ulrich Leopold
>> someone could help me to solve my problem. I would like to convert geodetic
>> coordinates to a transverse mercator projection for Luxembourg.

>> I have the following coordinates:

>> Latitude: 49d34'17".60287N
>> Longitude: 5d55'50".69323E

>> And want to convert them into:

>> X (North) 70910.00
>> Y (East)  62935.00

> Ulrich,

> cs2cs +proj=latlong +ellps=intl +to +proj=tmerc +x_0=80000 +y_0=100000
> +lon_0=6d10 +lat_0=49d50 +ellps=intl +k=1
> 5d55'50.69 49d34'17.60
> 62934.93        70909.91 0.00

> Seems like pretty good agreement.


I can't believe PROJ or cs2cs are that inaccurate!
I have translated a couple of projection formulae and codes, amongst which
several libproj4 functions, to JavaScript. Let's say just for my amusement.
For Transverse Mercator I used the code in the main defining document:
"The Universal Grids: Universal Transverse Mercator (UTM) and
Universal Polar Stereographic (UPS)", DMA Technical Manual DMA TM 8358.2,
Defense Mapping Agency, USA, Sept. 1989,
ftp://164.214.2.65/pub/gig/tm8358.2/TM8358_2.pdf

I arrive at a northing of 70909.9999532613 and an easting of
62935.0000989847
(not all decimals are significant). I used the Transverse Mercator engine
and skipped the UTM zone numbering system.

It can be advised to check and test the cs2cs tmerc function or its
application.

Please note that I do not have a compiled proj, libproj, cs2cs, whatever
proj-type application. Only my own reasonably well tested JavaScripts.


_______________________________________________
Proj mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.maptools.org/mailman/listinfo/proj
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: convert from LatLong to transverse mercator LUREF

Norman Vine
Oscar van Vlijmen writes:

>
> >> someone could help me to solve my problem. I would like to convert geodetic
> >> coordinates to a transverse mercator projection for Luxembourg.
>
> >> I have the following coordinates:
>
> >> Latitude: 49d34'17".60287N
> >> Longitude: 5d55'50".69323E
>
> >> And want to convert them into:
>
> >> X (North) 70910.00
> >> Y (East)  62935.00
>
> > Ulrich,
>
> >  cs2cs +proj=latlong +ellps=intl +to +proj=tmerc +x_0=80000 +y_0=100000  +lon_0=6d10 +lat_0=49d50 +ellps=intl +k=1
> > 5d55'50.69 49d34'17.60
> > 62934.93        70909.91 0.00
>
> > Seems like pretty good agreement.
>
>
> I can't believe PROJ or cs2cs are that inaccurate!


Huh,  What inaccuracy ???


# Luxembourg 1930 / Gauss
<2169> +proj=tmerc +lat_0=49.83333333333334 +lon_0=6.166666666666667 +k=1.000000  \
             +x_0=80000 +y_0=100000 +ellps=intl +towgs84=-193,13.7,-39.3,-0.41,-2.933,2.688,0.43 +units=m +no_defs  <>


$ proj +proj=tmerc +lat_0=49.83333333333334 +lon_0=6.166666666666667 +k=1.000000 +x_0=80000 +y_0=100000 +ellps=intl +to
wgs84=-193,13.7,-39.3,-0.41,-2.933,2.688,0.43 +units=m +no_defs
5d55'50.69323 49d34'17.60287
62935.00        70910.00


$ cs2cs +proj=latlong +ellps=intl +to +proj=tmerc +x_0=80000 +y_0=100000  +lon_0=6d10 +lat_0=49d50 +ellps=intl +k=1
5d55'50.69323 49d34'17.60287
62935.00        70910.00 0.00


HTH

Norman


_______________________________________________
Proj mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.maptools.org/mailman/listinfo/proj
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: convert from LatLong to transverse mercator LUREF

OvV_HN
>>>> I would like to convert geodetic
>>>> coordinates to a transverse mercator projection for Luxembourg.
>>>> I have the following coordinates:
>>>> Latitude: 49d34'17".60287N
>>>> Longitude: 5d55'50".69323E
>>>> And want to convert them into:
>>>> X (North) 70910.00
>>>> Y (East)  62935.00
>>> cs2cs +proj=latlong +ellps=intl +to +proj=tmerc +x_0=80000 +y_0=100000
>>> +lon_0=6d10 +lat_0=49d50 +ellps=intl +k=1
>>> 5d55'50.69 49d34'17.60
>>> 62934.93        70909.91 0.00
>>> Seems like pretty good agreement.
>> I can't believe PROJ or cs2cs are that inaccurate!
> Huh,  What inaccuracy ???
.....
> $ cs2cs +proj=latlong +ellps=intl +to +proj=tmerc +x_0=80000 +y_0=100000
> +lon_0=6d10 +lat_0=49d50 +ellps=intl +k=1
> 5d55'50.69323 49d34'17.60287
> 62935.00        70910.00 0.00

Aaahh! Now I get it.
Mr. Warmerdam didn't use the requested coordinates but dropped decimals.
With his lon,lat of 5d55'50.69 49d34'17.60 I also arrive at:
x = 70909.9114859589, y = 62934.934921184 (not all decimals are significant)

Mr. Vine mentioned datum transform params for the Luxemburg grid.
For those who need them, ESRI-ArcGIS gives one or two more decimals in:
"Supported geographic (datum) transformations"
<http://downloads.esri.com/support/whitepapers/ao_/geographic_transformation
s9.pdf>

Name,Code,Method,dX,dY,dZ,rX,rY,rZ,ds
Luxembourg_1930_To_ETRS_1989_1,1642,Position_Vector,
-192.986,13.673,-39.309,-0.4099,-2.9332,2.6881,0.43

Luxembourg_1930_To_WGS_1984_1,1643,Position_Vector,
-192.986,13.673,-39.309,-0.4099,-2.9332,2.6881,0.43

_______________________________________________
Proj mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.maptools.org/mailman/listinfo/proj
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: convert from LatLong to transverse mercator LUREF

Frank Warmerdam
In reply to this post by OvV_HN
On 10/19/05, Oscar van Vlijmen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I can't believe PROJ or cs2cs are that inaccurate!

Oscar,

Keep in mind I did not provide all the decimal places for
thei input values.  With the full precision given, I get dead
on to the two decimal places normally reported by cs2cs.

cs2cs +proj=latlong +ellps=intl +to +proj=tmerc +x_0=80000 +y_0=100000
+lon_0=6d10 +lat_0=49d50 +ellps=intl +k=1
5d55'50.69323 49d34'17.60287
62935.00        70910.00 0.00

Please be careful of assuming a failure in the accuracy of PROJ.4
when it is really just the input it is given.

> I have translated a couple of projection formulae and codes, amongst which
> several libproj4 functions, to JavaScript. Let's say just for my amusement.

You might want to chat with Mike Adair over on the Mapbuilder
project who has also translated a number of projections into Javascript.

  http://mapbuilder.sourceforge.net/

Best regards,
--
---------------------------------------+--------------------------------------
I set the clouds in motion - turn up   | Frank Warmerdam, [hidden email]
light and sound - activate the windows | http://pobox.com/~warmerdam
and watch the world go round - Rush    | Geospatial Programmer for Rent

_______________________________________________
Proj mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.maptools.org/mailman/listinfo/proj