conference planning idea..

adam steer-2
Hey Oceanian FOSS4G folks

I wanted to share this from the upcoming QGIS North America event. It's scheduled over 3 days, but each day is separated by a week (ie, 3 successive fridays). What do you think about this type of schedule for an online Oceania event?

http://qgis.us/qgis-na-2020.html

Hope all is well,

Adam

Re: conference planning idea..

Alex Leith
I think that could work.

Locate conference has been running for 2 hours three successive days, which works well too, I think.

10 minute presentations too... which is good for web conference, where attention is short!

On Fri, 10 Jul 2020 at 09:20, adam steer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey Oceanian FOSS4G folks

I wanted to share this from the upcoming QGIS North America event. It's scheduled over 3 days, but each day is separated by a week (ie, 3 successive fridays). What do you think about this type of schedule for an online Oceania event?

http://qgis.us/qgis-na-2020.html

Hope all is well,

Adam

Alex Leith
m: 0419189050

Re: conference planning idea..

Edoardo Neerhut
I haven't experienced a conference like that before, but I prefer the idea of a conference in a more concentrated time frame.
I can understand the benefit to reduce digital conference fatigue. Personally the idea of fewer sessions and or shorter sessions would be preferential.

On Fri, 10 Jul 2020 at 11:14, Alex Leith <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think that could work.

Locate conference has been running for 2 hours three successive days, which works well too, I think.

10 minute presentations too... which is good for web conference, where attention is short!

On Fri, 10 Jul 2020 at 09:20, adam steer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey Oceanian FOSS4G folks

I wanted to share this from the upcoming QGIS North America event. It's scheduled over 3 days, but each day is separated by a week (ie, 3 successive fridays). What do you think about this type of schedule for an online Oceania event?

http://qgis.us/qgis-na-2020.html

Hope all is well,

Adam

Alex Leith
m: 0419189050

Re: conference planning idea..

Claire.Trenham

I’ve enjoyed conferences that have run over longer time but shorter sessions at a time – e.g. C3DIS for 2 hours a day for 3 weeks, just dialled into those talks that were of interest (which actually ended up being longer than originally scheduled in the F2F conference). I am definitely in favour of avoiding long periods in front of the webcam. Holding it over a longer period also allows you to find times that best suit all attendees, e.g. maybe there’s only 2-3 hours in the work day that covers the whole Oceania region, but all talks could be scheduled in that band over a number of weeks.