command dialog notebook styles

Anna Petrášová
Hi all,

I would like to inform you that you can now switch between different
command dialog styles in GRASS 7 (r52927). There are 4 styles, 3 of
them are new and they are providing platform native look. It should
solve the problem described in ticket #306 [1] (hidden tabs). Styles
can be changed in settings dialog - Appearance tab.

Two styles use wx.Notebook with top or left tabs. The third one which
uses wx.ListBook is not yet finished. The default style is the current
fancy green FlatNotebook.

It would be nice to add some icons to the tabs. So far I added only
icons to manual and options page to get idea how it could look like.
Unfortunately it is quite difficult to create icons which would
describe the tabs (required, optional, selection, ...). But except for
ListBook icons are not necessary. (Now icons are not used in fancy
green notebook because used style is not ready for icons.)

The advantage of the two basic styles is that they inherit system
colors (since they are native). So it is better for users with unusual
themes which are not much supported by wxPython.

Styles were tested on Ubuntu 10.04 (Gnome), information how styles
look like on Windows and Mac (including comparison to other
applications) is appreciated.

Please, share your ideas about style names, icons and styles itself.
If you know how, you can also try wxPython demo and do your own
experiments with various notebooks.

Note that this feature is experimental and even though it is change of
style some bugs which seem to be unrelated can appear.

Anna and Vaclav

basicTop.jpg (37K) Download Attachment
basicLeft.jpg (35K) Download Attachment
listLeft.jpg (37K) Download Attachment

Re: [GRASS-user] command dialog notebook styles

Carlos Henrique Grohmann de Carvalho-2
Anna, those are great news!

This is, IMO, a much-needed improvement in GRASS interface. Quite a while ago I posted some thoughts on GUI and User Experience for GRASS, and native tabs do make a big difference.

Can this be applied to GIS manager as well?

best

Carlos

On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 2:02 PM, Anna Kratochvílová <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Prof. Carlos Henrique Grohmann
Institute of Geosciences - Univ. of São Paulo, Brazil
- Digital Terrain Analysis | GIS | Remote Sensing -

http://carlosgrohmann.com

Re: [GRASS-user] command dialog notebook styles

Anna Petrášová
Hi Carlos,

On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 7:55 PM, Carlos Grohmann
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Anna, those are great news!

I'm glad you like it.

> This is, IMO, a much-needed improvement in GRASS interface. Quite a while
> ago I posted some thoughts on GUI and User Experience for GRASS, and native
> tabs do make a big difference.

Where can I find it?

> Can this be applied to GIS manager as well?

Yes, but we must first understand how it should look like because
there are two level of tabs (top and bottom) so they probably should
look differently. Any suggestions are welcome.

Anna

> best
>
> Carlos
>

> On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 2:02 PM, Anna Kratochvílová <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I would like to inform you that you can now switch between different
>> command dialog styles in GRASS 7 (r52927). There are 4 styles, 3 of
>> them are new and they are providing platform native look. It should
>> solve the problem described in ticket #306 [1] (hidden tabs). Styles
>> can be changed in settings dialog - Appearance tab.
>>
>> Two styles use wx.Notebook with top or left tabs. The third one which
>> uses wx.ListBook is not yet finished. The default style is the current
>> fancy green FlatNotebook.
>>
>> It would be nice to add some icons to the tabs. So far I added only
>> icons to manual and options page to get idea how it could look like.
>> Unfortunately it is quite difficult to create icons which would
>> describe the tabs (required, optional, selection, ...). But except for
>> ListBook icons are not necessary. (Now icons are not used in fancy
>> green notebook because used style is not ready for icons.)
>>
>> The advantage of the two basic styles is that they inherit system
>> colors (since they are native). So it is better for users with unusual
>> themes which are not much supported by wxPython.
>>
>> Styles were tested on Ubuntu 10.04 (Gnome), information how styles
>> look like on Windows and Mac (including comparison to other
>> applications) is appreciated.
>>
>> Please, share your ideas about style names, icons and styles itself.
>> If you know how, you can also try wxPython demo and do your own
>> experiments with various notebooks.
>>
>> Note that this feature is experimental and even though it is change of
>> style some bugs which seem to be unrelated can appear.
>>
>> Anna and Vaclav

> Prof. Carlos Henrique Grohmann
> Institute of Geosciences - Univ. of São Paulo, Brazil
> - Digital Terrain Analysis | GIS | Remote Sensing -
>
> http://carlosgrohmann.com

Re: [GRASS-user] command dialog notebook styles

wenzeslaus

>> Can this be applied to GIS manager as well?
>
> Yes, but we must first understand how it should look like because
> there are two level of tabs (top and bottom) so they probably should
> look differently. Any suggestions are welcome.

What about hiding display (fancy green) notebook with only one display
(one tab)? I guess that having only one map display is quite common
case, so in this case the notebook is not needed at all. Am I right?

And about notebook styles, it is not sure that it is possible to
change display names for all notebook styles (types). (Changing
display name is possible now by right click on the display tab).

Unfortunately, different features are available for different
notebooks, some features are not available for native notebooks, so we
cannot have just everything.

Vaclav

Re: command dialog notebook styles

Helmut Kudrnovsky
hi Anna,

>Styles were tested on Ubuntu 10.04 (Gnome), information how styles
>look like on Windows and Mac (including comparison to other
>applications) is appreciated.

is there any related wiki-page, where screenshots (i.e. windows, etc.) can be uploaded?

Helmut
best regards
Helmut

Re: command dialog notebook styles

Helmut Kudrnovsky
>is there any related wiki-page, where screenshots (i.e. windows, etc.) can be uploaded?

tested here in osgeo4w-wingrass7 in a win7-64bit-box.

only listleft works, in the other two no input is possible.

Helmutnotebookstyle_windows_listleft.pngnotebookstyle_windows_basictop.pngnotebookstyle_windows_basicleft.png

Helmut
best regards
Helmut

Re: command dialog notebook styles

Helmut Kudrnovsky
>tested here in osgeo4w-wingrass7 in a win7-64bit-box.

a basicleft turned up would be nice.

notebookstyle_windows_basicleft_turnedup.png
best regards
Helmut

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 5:52 PM, Helmut Kudrnovsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>is there any related wiki-page, where screenshots (i.e. windows, etc.) can
> be uploaded?
>
> tested here in osgeo4w-wingrass7 in a win7-64bit-box.
>
> only listleft works, in the other two no input is possible.

That's bad. I am not able to test it. Are you able to switch the tabs?
Maybe it's some problem with refreshing. I tried to google some
windows specific problems with wx.Notebook but I haven't found
anything interesting.

The current fancy style works ok, is it right?

I will wait if the similar problem occurs on Mac to (Michael promised to test)

Thanks for testing,

Anna

> Helmut
> http://osgeo-org.1560.n6.nabble.com/file/n4998104/notebookstyle_windows_listleft.png
> notebookstyle_windows_listleft.png
> http://osgeo-org.1560.n6.nabble.com/file/n4998104/notebookstyle_windows_basictop.png
> notebookstyle_windows_basictop.png
> http://osgeo-org.1560.n6.nabble.com/file/n4998104/notebookstyle_windows_basicleft.png
> notebookstyle_windows_basicleft.png
>
> Helmut
>

> -----
> best regards
> Helmut

Re: command dialog notebook styles

Anna Petrášová
One more question, all the tabs are empty? Command output and manual
tab are created separately so there could be some difference.

Thanks,
Anna

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 6:52 PM, Anna Kratochvílová
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 5:52 PM, Helmut Kudrnovsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>is there any related wiki-page, where screenshots (i.e. windows, etc.) can
>> be uploaded?
>>
>> tested here in osgeo4w-wingrass7 in a win7-64bit-box.
>>
>> only listleft works, in the other two no input is possible.
>
> That's bad. I am not able to test it. Are you able to switch the tabs?
> Maybe it's some problem with refreshing. I tried to google some
> windows specific problems with wx.Notebook but I haven't found
> anything interesting.
>
> The current fancy style works ok, is it right?
>
> I will wait if the similar problem occurs on Mac to (Michael promised to test)
>
> Thanks for testing,
>
> Anna
>

>> Helmut
>> http://osgeo-org.1560.n6.nabble.com/file/n4998104/notebookstyle_windows_listleft.png
>> notebookstyle_windows_listleft.png
>> http://osgeo-org.1560.n6.nabble.com/file/n4998104/notebookstyle_windows_basictop.png
>> notebookstyle_windows_basictop.png
>> http://osgeo-org.1560.n6.nabble.com/file/n4998104/notebookstyle_windows_basicleft.png
>> notebookstyle_windows_basicleft.png
>>
>> Helmut
>>

>> -----
>> best regards
>> Helmut

Re: command dialog notebook styles

Helmut Kudrnovsky
>One more question, all the tabs are empty? Command output and manual
>tab are created separately so there could be some difference.

fancygreen => all tabs with content, manual ok
basicleft => all tabs with content, but no manual

the other two => all tabs empty, no manual

best regards
Helmut

Re: command dialog notebook styles

Helmut Kudrnovsky
>That's bad. I am not able to test it. Are you able to switch the tabs?
>Maybe it's some problem with refreshing. I tried to google some
>windows specific problems with wx.Notebook but I haven't found
>anything interesting.

switching between tabs possible, but no effect.

saving the new configuration and restart of the gui doesn't help
best regards
Helmut

Re: command dialog notebook styles

Helmut Kudrnovsky
>tested here in osgeo4w-wingrass7 in a win7-64bit-box.

a turned up basicleft would be nice.

notebookstyle_windows_basicleft_turnedup.png
best regards
Helmut

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 7:25 PM, Helmut Kudrnovsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>One more question, all the tabs are empty? Command output and manual
>>tab are created separately so there could be some difference.
>
> fancygreen => all tabs with content, manual ok
> basicleft => all tabs with content, but no manual

manual should work now for the 'list left' style (but i hope we can
come up with some better name...)

> the other two => all tabs empty, no manual

I did some change (just a guess) so you can test again.

Anna

Re: command dialog notebook styles

Helmut Kudrnovsky
hi,

>> fancygreen => all tabs with content, manual ok
>> basicleft => all tabs with content, but no manual
>
>manual should work now for the 'list left' style (but i hope we can
>come up with some better name...)

the manual works now.

>> the other two => all tabs empty, no manual
>
>I did some change (just a guess) so you can test again.

the other two still empty
best regards
Helmut

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 10:52 AM, Helmut Kudrnovsky <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hi,
>
>>> fancygreen => all tabs with content, manual ok
>>> basicleft => all tabs with content, but no manual
>>
>>manual should work now for the 'list left' style (but i hope we can
>>come up with some better name...)
>
> the manual works now.
>
>>> the other two => all tabs empty, no manual

Please test it again, I've just did some changes which (I hope) should help.

Anna

Re: command dialog notebook styles

Helmut Kudrnovsky
>Please test it again, I've just did some changes which (I hope) should help.

tested with osgeo4w-wingrass-7.0.svn-r52994

now all styles are working.

capture_001_31082012_083539.pngcapture_002_31082012_083607.pngcapture_003_31082012_083629.pngcapture_004_31082012_083658.png
best regards
Helmut