cleaning layout suggestions / progress on new marketing material?

cleaning layout suggestions / progress on new marketing material?

Jo Walsh
dear all,

While shaking my head over the lack of plan, indexable HTML links at
http://www.osgeo.org/search_profile it was also occurring to me that
the pages look rather cluttered with navigation.

I'd suggest dropping the right-hand column (the one with the begging
paypal tip-jar and the list of projects) from most pages except for
the front page, instead adding a 'OSGeo projects' index page leftside.

Then it occurred to me that maybe layout/design suggestions are futile
now because we're waiting on a renovation package from Birgit's people.
How is all that going, when are we likely to see prototypes, how much
work is it going to be to convert whatever they suggest into HTML and
should that be budgeted or planned for?

cheers,

jo

Re: cleaning layout suggestions / progress on new marketing material?

Frank Warmerdam
[hidden email] wrote:

> dear all,
>
> While shaking my head over the lack of plan, indexable HTML links at
> http://www.osgeo.org/search_profile it was also occurring to me that
> the pages look rather cluttered with navigation.
>
> I'd suggest dropping the right-hand column (the one with the begging
> paypal tip-jar and the list of projects) from most pages except for
> the front page, instead adding a 'OSGeo projects' index page leftside.
>
> Then it occurred to me that maybe layout/design suggestions are futile
> now because we're waiting on a renovation package from Birgit's people.
> How is all that going, when are we likely to see prototypes, how much
> work is it going to be to convert whatever they suggest into HTML and
> should that be budgeted or planned for?

Jo,

I understand that the Marketting Committee is consulting with Birgit
on some sort of effort but I'm really unclear on what it involves.  Can
you (or someone) brief us on the likely implications of that for our
web site?

Re: cleaning layout suggestions / progress on new marketing material?

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo)

On 16-Jan-08, at 12:25 PM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> I understand that the Marketting Committee is consulting with Birgit
> on some sort of effort but I'm really unclear on what it involves.
> Can
> you (or someone) brief us on the likely implications of that for our
> web site?

It won't be a website re-design, but will suggest branding components
that can be used in the website.   The work is based on this:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Marketing_Proposal_2007

Arnulf and Jeroen, via Marketing committee, are heading it up.

Tyler

On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 01:48:00PM -0800, Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:
> On 16-Jan-08, at 12:25 PM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> >you (or someone) brief us on the likely implications of that for our
> >web site?
>
> It won't be a website re-design, but will suggest branding components
> that can be used in the website.   The work is based on this:
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Marketing_Proposal_2007

... says this...
[[ Website Design (Base design for main page and Base design for one
underlying page. Both pages ready to use as a master for OSGeo
web-programmer) ]]

Though i see from the current discussion in the marketing meeting on
irc, that this work is not included in the first contract with Birgit
et al, so estimate 3 months minimum before anything can be seen.
Tyler points out there that the Website Committee does have its own
dedicated budget based on sponsorship funds available, if needed.

On 16-Jan-08, at 2:53 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> ... says this...
> [[ Website Design (Base design for main page and Base design for one
> underlying page. Both pages ready to use as a master for OSGeo
> web-programmer) ]]
>
> Though i see from the current discussion in the marketing meeting on
> irc, that this work is not included in the first contract with Birgit
> et al, so estimate 3 months minimum before anything can be seen.
> Tyler points out there that the Website Committee does have its own
> dedicated budget based on sponsorship funds available, if needed.

Sorry, I mean is that it won't be a technical design, only branding
concepts.  Specifically, they won't be providing Drupal themes or
mucking about with PHP.