clarification of dependencies

Tom Kralidis
Hi all: in master branch, I see dependencies in the following:

- https://github.com/geopython/pywps/blob/master/requirements.txt
- https://github.com/geopython/pywps/blob/master/setup.py#L64-L69
- https://github.com/geopython/pywps/blob/master/tox.ini#L10-L19

It will be valuable to harmonize these requirements in requirements.txt
from which setup.py and tox.ini can automagically derive.  This keeps
dependencies centralized.

Questions:

- is GDAL an absolute requirement?  For example, our soon to be published
   instance of PyWPS does not use GDAL whatsoever
- is OWSLib an absolute requirement?  For example, our soon to be published
   instance of PyWPS does not use OWSLib whatsoever
- is werkzeug an absolute requirement?  For example, Can I swap in
   Flask instead?
- unipath is used in one single spot in the entire codebase https://github.com/geopython/pywps/blob/aed9f6b4b76f954a9a401309ecebb5a22a99d495/pywps/wpsserver.py#L37
   Any objections to working around this functionality thereby removing the unipath
   dependency requirement?

My goal here is to have setup.py, tox.ini, and docs/conf.py derive from
requirements.txt (for mocking for rtfd.org), but I'm not aware of the
context/details behind the above.

Thanks

..Tom

Re: clarification of dependencies

Luís de Sousa
Some quick answers (without looking much at the code):

> - is GDAL an absolute requirement?  For example, our soon to be published
>   instance of PyWPS does not use GDAL whatsoever
> - is OWSLib an absolute requirement?  For example, our soon to be published
>   instance of PyWPS does not use OWSLib whatsoever

OWSLib at least should be required to retrieve WFS/WCS complex inputs.
If it is not being used presently then something is likely wrong... I
believe OWSLib then requires GDAL for the job.

> - is werkzeug an absolute requirement?  For example, Can I swap in
>   Flask instead?

As far as I remember, Flask depends on Werkzeug (and Jinja). But it
might be a good idea to try something exclusively dependent on
Werkzeug.

> - unipath is used in one single spot in the entire codebase
> https://github.com/geopython/pywps/blob/aed9f6b4b76f954a9a401309ecebb5a22a99d495/pywps/wpsserver.py#L37
>   Any objections to working around this functionality thereby removing the
> unipath
>   dependency requirement?

None from my side, as long as the functionality stays there.

> My goal here is to have setup.py, tox.ini, and docs/conf.py derive from
> requirements.txt (for mocking for rtfd.org), but I'm not aware of the
> context/details behind the above.

I agree this would be a relevant improvement.

Luís

Re: clarification of dependencies

Jachym Cepicky
[...]

agreed

Questions:

- is GDAL an absolute requirement?  For example, our soon to be published
   instance of PyWPS does not use GDAL whatsoever

nope, it's there just for input data validation. but just for some cases (STRICT validation) and it's used by tests

- is OWSLib an absolute requirement?  For example, our soon to be published
   instance of PyWPS does not use OWSLib whatsoever

yes - we rely on it

- is werkzeug an absolute requirement?  For example, Can I swap in
   Flask instead?

Werkzeug is the base of frameworks such as Flask and more

IMHO Flask should be able to install it's dependences automatically (?)

- unipath is used in one single spot in the entire codebase https://github.com/geopython/pywps/blob/aed9f6b4b76f954a9a401309ecebb5a22a99d495/pywps/wpsserver.py#L37
   Any objections to working around this functionality thereby removing the unipath
   dependency requirement?

+1 (you did already, right?)

My goal here is to have setup.py, tox.ini, and docs/conf.py derive from
requirements.txt (for mocking for rtfd.org), but I'm not aware of the
context/details behind the above.

Nice work, thanks

Thanks

..Tom

Re: clarification of dependencies

Tom Kralidis
On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 2:37 PM, Jachym Cepicky
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>>
>> [...]
>

> agreed
>

>> Questions:
>>
>> - is GDAL an absolute requirement?  For example, our soon to be published
>>    instance of PyWPS does not use GDAL whatsoever
>

> nope, it's there just for input data validation. but just for some cases
> (STRICT validation) and it's used by tests

I wonder if we can make this an OPTIONAL requirement/dependency
and isolate the GDAL/OGR based code to a point where we could
try/except the package/module import.  Then if that codepath is hit
PyWPS will throw an ows:ExceptionReport.

Of course GDAL would be part of our Travis-CI setup.

>> - is OWSLib an absolute requirement?  For example, our soon to be
>> published
>>    instance of PyWPS does not use OWSLib whatsoever
>

> yes - we rely on it

OK

>> - is werkzeug an absolute requirement?  For example, Can I swap in
>>    Flask instead?
>

> Quoting from http://werkzeug.pocoo.org/
>
> Werkzeug is the base of frameworks such as Flask and more
>
> IMHO Flask should be able to install it's dependences automatically (?)

So here werkzeug is being for more than just a WSGI front end?

Done in https://github.com/geopython/pywps/pull/83

>> My goal here is to have setup.py, tox.ini, and docs/conf.py derive from
>> requirements.txt (for mocking for rtfd.org), but I'm not aware of the
>> context/details behind the above.
>

> Nice work, thanks

>> Thanks
>>
>> ..Tom

Re: clarification of dependencies

Jachym Cepicky
hi

>> - is GDAL an absolute requirement?  For example, our soon to be published
>>    instance of PyWPS does not use GDAL whatsoever
>

> nope, it's there just for input data validation. but just for some cases
> (STRICT validation) and it's used by tests

I wonder if we can make this an OPTIONAL requirement/dependency
and isolate the GDAL/OGR based code to a point where we could
try/except the package/module import.  Then if that codepath is hit
PyWPS will throw an ows:ExceptionReport.

Of course GDAL would be part of our Travis-CI setup.

>> - is OWSLib an absolute requirement?  For example, our soon to be
>> published
>>    instance of PyWPS does not use OWSLib whatsoever
>

> yes - we rely on it

OK

rewriting in a way similar to pycsw is option

>> - is werkzeug an absolute requirement?  For example, Can I swap in
>>    Flask instead?
>

> Quoting from http://werkzeug.pocoo.org/
>
> Werkzeug is the base of frameworks such as Flask and more
>
> IMHO Flask should be able to install it's dependences automatically (?)

So here werkzeug is being for more than just a WSGI front end?

weeell, this was originally setuped by Alex, who started this. I have actually no deep clue about how it works all together (no need yet). Needed more investigation