button labels harmonization

Salvatore Larosa-2
Hi UX list,

I am raising at this issue about different button labels used in the
GUI as we have three different way to define the following action:

1) Zoom Actual Size (in view menu)
2) Zoom to Best Scale (100%) (in contextual layer menu)
3) Zoom to Native Pixel Resolution (in map navigation toolbar)

Which do you prefer? or How do you would change it?

Best Regards,
-SL

--
Salvatore Larosa
linkedIn: http://linkedin.com/in/larosasalvatore

Re: button labels harmonization

Anita Graser
Great point Salvatore!

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 7:29 PM, Salvatore Larosa <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am raising at this issue about different button labels used in the
GUI as we have three different way to define the following action:
1) Zoom Actual Size (in view menu)
2) Zoom to Best Scale (100%) (in contextual layer menu)
​​
3) Zoom to Native Pixel Resolution (in map navigation toolbar)
Which do you prefer? or How do you would change it?

​Imho, ​
3) Zoom to Native Pixel Resolution describes the behaviour best but it's also the longest. If we don't have any space constraints I would go with this option.

​Looking forward to hearing some other opinions.

​Best wishes,
Anita​

Re: button labels harmonization

Alexandre Neto
Tho 3) seems to be the more accurate description, it does not feel very intuitive.
Besides the accuracy aspect, I think we should also consider what users expect to find.

In Print Composer, we have a 4th description to a very similar tool (same icon yet applied to all composition and not only to a raster layer):
4) Zoom to 100%

I have been looking in other software for this kind of operation:
Gimp - Zoom > 1:1 (100%)
Inkscape - Zoom > 1:1
Libbreoffice calc - Zoom 100%

Therefore my vote would go for something saying 100%:

Alexandre Neto

Em qui, 17 de set de 2015 às 08:54, Andreas Neumann <[hidden email]> escreveu:
[...]

On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 12:19 PM, Alexandre Neto <[hidden email]> wrote
​:
I have been looking in other software for this kind of operation:
Gimp - Zoom > 1:1 (100%)
Inkscape - Zoom > 1:1
Libbreoffice calc - Zoom 100%
Therefore my vote would go for something saying 100%:

​Good point, Alexandre! Maybe "Zoom to Native Resolution (100%)".

Imho "Zoom 100%" would be a bit ambiguous since it could mean "show 100% of the layer".​

Best wishes,
Anita

Re: button labels harmonization

Nyall Dawson

On 18 Sep 2015 20:38, "Anita Graser" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 12:19 PM, Alexandre Neto <[hidden email]> wrote
> ​:
>>
>> I have been looking in other software for this kind of operation:
>> Gimp - Zoom > 1:1 (100%)
>> Inkscape - Zoom > 1:1
>> Libbreoffice calc - Zoom 100%
>> Therefore my vote would go for something saying 100%:
>

> ​Good point, Alexandre! Maybe "Zoom to Native Resolution (100%)".

In print composer it's not native resolution though... It's set to try to match print units to screen units (1cm in screen = 1 cm on layout). Native resolution would imply zoom until print dpi = screen dpi.

Nyall

On Sep 19, 2015 8:49 AM, "Nyall Dawson" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> In print composer it's not native resolution though... It's set to try to match print units to screen units (1cm in screen = 1 cm on layout). Native resolution would imply zoom until print dpi = screen dpi.

Sure, I'm still just talking about what should be the text for 1-3. Print composer 4 can/should be different since it's a different tool.

Best
Anita

On 19 Sep 2015 17:11, "Anita Graser" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sep 19, 2015 8:49 AM, "Nyall Dawson" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > In print composer it's not native resolution though... It's set to try to match print units to screen units (1cm in screen = 1 cm on layout). Native resolution would imply zoom until print dpi = screen dpi.
>
> Sure, I'm still just talking about what should be the text for 1-3. Print composer 4 can/should be different since it's a different tool.

Ok, thanks for the clarification!

Nyall

On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 12:38 PM, Anita Graser <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Good point, Alexandre! Maybe "Zoom to Native Resolution (100%)".

What the final decision is?
we agree to use "Zoom to Native Resolution (100%)"??
or do you think we have to wait for more feedback?

On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 11:05 PM, Salvatore Larosa <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 12:38 PM, Anita Graser <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Good point, Alexandre! Maybe "Zoom to Native Resolution (100%)".

What the final decision is?
we agree to use
​​
"Zoom to Native Resolution (100%)"??
or do you think we have to wait for more feedback?

​I think everyone who cares for this issue had enough time to write their opinion.
+1 to go ahead with ​
"Zoom to Native Resolution (100%)"

Best wishes,
Anita

Re: button labels harmonization

Natalie WayJones
Hi - please take me off this mailing list
thanks, Natalie

On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 11:17 PM, Anita Graser <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 11:05 PM, Salvatore Larosa <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 12:38 PM, Anita Graser <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Good point, Alexandre! Maybe "Zoom to Native Resolution (100%)".

What the final decision is?
we agree to use
​​
"Zoom to Native Resolution (100%)"??
or do you think we have to wait for more feedback?

​I think everyone who cares for this issue had enough time to write their opinion.
+1 to go ahead with ​
"Zoom to Native Resolution (100%)"

Best wishes,
Anita

NWJ Environmental Consulting
P.O. Box 1298, Westville, 3630
Tel: +27 83 254 6602
Fax: 086 278 1515
Skype name: nataliew674
www.nwjenviroconsulting.com

Re: button labels harmonization

Salvatore Larosa-2

On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 11:17 PM, Anita Graser <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think everyone who cares for this issue had enough time to write their
> opinion.
> +1 to go ahead with
> "Zoom to Native Resolution (100%)"

done in [0], thanks everybody.

Best Regards,
-SL

[0] - https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/commit/63780563d8cfff16c9a835b098fbef05a24b1466

--
Salvatore Larosa
linkedIn: http://linkedin.com/in/larosasalvatore
twitter: @lrssvt
skype: s.larosa
IRC: lrssvt on freenode

Re: button labels harmonization

Tim Sutton-6
Hi Natalie

On 29 Sep 2015, at 10:49, Natalie WayJones <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi - please take me off this mailing list
thanks, Natalie

Regards

Tim

On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 11:17 PM, Anita Graser <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 11:05 PM, Salvatore Larosa <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 12:38 PM, Anita Graser <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Good point, Alexandre! Maybe "Zoom to Native Resolution (100%)".

What the final decision is?
we agree to use
​​
"Zoom to Native Resolution (100%)"??
or do you think we have to wait for more feedback?

​I think everyone who cares for this issue had enough time to write their opinion.
+1 to go ahead with ​
"Zoom to Native Resolution (100%)"

Best wishes,
Anita