basic authentication with GeoNode 2.8, GeoServer 2.14 and GeoFence

basic authentication with GeoNode 2.8, GeoServer 2.14 and GeoFence

Paolo Corti
Dear list

This is most likely for Alessio, but maybe someone else in the list can help.

I am experiencing this in GeoNode 2.8 and GeoServer 2.14.

I would need to access GeoServer OGC endpoints with curl or owslib
using basic authentication. Unfortunately this doesn't look to work
anymore - while it was working on previous versions GeoNode/GeoServer.

This is a sample request I do:

curl -v -u user:password -XGET -H "Accept: text/xml"
http://myip/geoserver/geonode/layername/wms

I receive a 404.

Here is what I see in GeoServer log file: https://paste.ofcode.org/

When opening the same url in a web browser authenticated with GeoNode
I don't get the 404.

Any hint here? Thanks in advance!

Paolo

--
Paolo Corti
Geospatial software developer

Re: basic authentication with GeoNode 2.8, GeoServer 2.14 and GeoFence

Alessio Fabiani-2
Hi Paolo,
you need to remove the qualified name and use the simple one instead

Il giorno mar 2 ott 2018 alle ore 21:16 Paolo Corti <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
[...]

==

==
Ing. Alessio Fabiani

@alfa7691
Founder/Technical Lead

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A - 55054  Massarosa (LU) - Italy
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax:     +39 0584 1660272
mob:   +39 331 6233686

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it

Con riferimento alla normativa sul trattamento dei dati personali (Reg. UE 2016/679 - Regolamento generale sulla protezione dei dati “GDPR”), si precisa che ogni circostanza inerente alla presente email (il suo contenuto, gli eventuali allegati, etc.) è un dato la cui conoscenza è riservata al/i solo/i destinatario/i indicati dallo scrivente. Se il messaggio Le è giunto per errore, è tenuta/o a cancellarlo, ogni altra operazione è illecita. Le sarei comunque grato se potesse darmene notizia.

This email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. We remind that - as provided by European Regulation 2016/679 “GDPR” - copying, dissemination or use of this e-mail or the information herein by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email by mistake, please notify us immediately by telephone or e-mail.

Re: basic authentication with GeoNode 2.8, GeoServer 2.14 and GeoFence

Paolo Corti
Hi Alessio

the url I am using it is correct. If I open it in an authenticated
browser (logged in as GeoServer admin), it returns the correct
GetCapabilities document.
Unfortunately it is not working from a not authenticated sessions. I
believe GeoFence is not giving access to the layer.
I realized that in my previous email I didn't include the correct link
to the log file https://paste.ofcode.org/3aBryGaRK7Xz3j3ySqXxfkN

hope this helps you to suggest a solution to this problem
thanks!
Paolo
On Tue, Oct 2, 2018 at 3:45 PM Alessio Fabiani
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>

> This email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. We remind that - as provided by European Regulation 2016/679 “GDPR” - copying, dissemination or use of this e-mail or the information herein by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email by mistake, please notify us immediately by telephone or e-mail.

--
Paolo Corti
Geospatial software developer
web: http://www.paolocorti.net
twitter: @capooti
skype: capooti

Re: basic authentication with GeoNode 2.8, GeoServer 2.14 and GeoFence

it is working here. Remember that the Layer must be published too, which means "Advertised" on GeoServer.

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

This email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. We remind that - as provided by European Regulation 2016/679 “GDPR” - copying, dissemination or use of this e-mail or the information herein by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email by mistake, please notify us immediately by telephone or e-mail.

Re: basic authentication with GeoNode 2.8, GeoServer 2.14 and GeoFence

all of the layers in our instance are published and advertised on GeoServer.

For example try this layer in our staging instance.
Layer details page in GeoNode:
http://128.31.22.103/layers/geonode:Neighborhoods_BRA_1
Layer GetCapabilities:
http://128.31.22.103/geoserver/geonode/Neighborhoods_BRA_1/wms?service=WMS&request=GetCapabilities

The layer GetCapabilities is correctly returned when I am logged as
GeoServer admin, but it returns a 404 when I am not.

Thanks for your help!
Paolo
On Tue, Oct 2, 2018 at 4:28 PM Alessio Fabiani
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>

> This email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. We remind that - as provided by European Regulation 2016/679 “GDPR” - copying, dissemination or use of this e-mail or the information herein by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email by mistake, please notify us immediately by telephone or e-mail.

--
Paolo Corti
Geospatial software developer
web: http://www.paolocorti.net
twitter: @capooti
skype: capooti

Re: basic authentication with GeoNode 2.8, GeoServer 2.14 and GeoFence

yeps, it is quite strange indeed.
It really looks to me that it is due to GeoFence rules somehow. Sometimes the rules of GeoFence could be a bit tricky.

Any chance to send here all the rules associated to one of those layers?

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

This email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. We remind that - as provided by European Regulation 2016/679 “GDPR” - copying, dissemination or use of this e-mail or the information herein by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email by mistake, please notify us immediately by telephone or e-mail.

Re: basic authentication with GeoNode 2.8, GeoServer 2.14 and GeoFence

By the way,
I noticed that http://128.31.22.103/geoserver Layer Preview is empty.

As long as this is happening that means that there's some misconfiguration on your security settings.

Moreover, any chance to update the WAR of GeoServer with the latest build here?

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

This email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. We remind that - as provided by European Regulation 2016/679 “GDPR” - copying, dissemination or use of this e-mail or the information herein by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email by mistake, please notify us immediately by telephone or e-mail.

Re: basic authentication with GeoNode 2.8, GeoServer 2.14 and GeoFence

Yes, you are right Alessio, that was!
I upgraded the staging a few days ago and forgot to add the line with
ip for GeoServer in the Django OAuth Toolkit application table. Now
GetCapabilities works well again.
Sorry for the noise and thanks again :)

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

This email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. We remind that - as provided by European Regulation 2016/679 “GDPR” - copying, dissemination or use of this e-mail or the information herein by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email by mistake, please notify us immediately by telephone or e-mail.

Re: basic authentication with GeoNode 2.8, GeoServer 2.14 and GeoFence

I jump back on this thread because I think I figured out why this was
happening: the OGC proxy base URL was set to
http://myip:8080/geoserver
This was causing a number of issues including the layers preview table
with no layer and the GetCapabilities with no public layers.
Everything seems fixed after setting this to http://myip/geoserver
(and proxying geoserver from geonode web server, in my case nginx)
Hope this helps someone else
best
Paolo