autocad layer

dimdeld
 Hello

Does anyone know what is the proper way to extract a layer from an Autocad file in order to convert it in shapefile. My autocad file (dwg, dxf) has up to 40 layers. When i try to convert it in shp, it doesn't work, probably because is too loaded with layers. However, I cannot find a way to extract the layer.

When i freeze the other layers and save it as a new file it still keeps the frozen layers. The only way i found is to copy the layer in a new file, however, i have to define a base point. This is ok to do it once but is not functional if you want to run a routine process with hundrends of files.

Thank you